Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Barnes and Noble for DVDs

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-01, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok here goes. Having exhausted my last bit of patience with Circuit City, I have decided I am only going to buy DVDs online and limit myself to 2 or 3 a month. Anyhoo, I was checking out Barnes and Noble and Deep Discount DVD. After much debate, I decided I would go with B&N(I signed up for their Members Advantage card too). Has anyone had any experience with them?
Old 10-14-01, 02:37 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had pleasant experience with them. Fast shipping and they ship by smart mail (via USPS). I have never contacted their customer service so I can't comment on it. And you can return or exchange your online purchase at their B&M store.
Old 10-14-01, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only ordered anime from them and it was ok but they do take a LOOOG time if the DVD is not in stock sometimes.

But I havent shopped there in a few months..
Old 10-14-01, 05:08 AM

My last order from them is not a happy one. "French Connection Box Set" was shipped 2 days after release date and I'm still waiting for "Godfather Collection." Still "In Process" accroding to their site.
Old 10-14-01, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just curious as to why you would select BN over DDD?? Almost everyone here has had nothing but good experiences with DDD (including me) and their prices are usually much better than BN.

Although many are boycotting BN over what they put their customers through with the whole flooz fiasco, the prices are my major beef with BN. They are some of the highest online mostly ranging in the 12%-15% off MSRP. It is very rare when I do a price search that DDD does not come out on top (especially when their free shipping is thrown into the mix). However, good prices are not enough without good service and DDD excels there as well. I have always gotten prompt shipping of the correct item with no hassles. Unlike many other online stores, my orders are always trouble free.

To each his own, but my vote obviously goes to DDD. BUT, to answer your original question, my limited experiences with BN have been fine (since I wasn't a part of the flooz problem) and they are a good choice is cost is not an issue.
Old 10-14-01, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had good experiences with both stores. (Both in terms of the orders themselves and with customer service).
BN does, however, typically have higher prices than just about anyone else on the web.
Old 10-14-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I choose B&N over DDD, because I figured with the Readers Advantage membership, and free shipping on two or more dvds, that I would save a good amount of money. DDD seems to have good prices, but I didnt think B&N was that far off. The only thing that worries me is their selection. I hope that if Im looking for something I will be able to get it at B&N. If not, then I will probably go with DDD. Im gonna try B&N for awhile
Old 10-15-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DDD over B&N.

And not just because they attempted to screw over their customers, but because you could generally choose priority mail shipping from DDD and still get the DVD cheaper than with free shipping at B&N. That combined with a world of difference in customer service makes it a no brainer for me.

And isn't the Reader's Advantage thing only 5%? I guess it's good if you're really planning to buy DVDs from them all the time, but still, DDD is a great online store.
Old 10-15-01, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i would have to agree that bn's prices are a bit steep. while the coupon and free shipping are good, who's to say how long it will last? at least with DDD, they have had the same thing since day 1.
Old 10-15-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I buy books also so the Readers advantage is good for me. Plus you can earn gift certificates. There is just something about DDD that makes me nervous. I dont know what it is
Old 10-15-01, 01:09 PM
3Js

Readers Advantage Not A Deal

The Readers Advantage is not free, but costs $25 per year.

So if buying online with the 5% discount, you have to buy $500 worth of DVDs just to break even with the membership fee.

Then 1 year later you would have to do it all over again to recoup the next year's fee.

Of course you get 10% off at the B&M Stores in that case you have to spend $250 to break even. But then you have the expense and hassle of going to the store.

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me at all!

Certainly a good deal for Barnes and Noble!
Old 10-15-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deadman31
There is just something about DDD that makes me nervous. I dont know what it is
your loss.
Old 10-16-01, 01:59 AM

A better deal than the Readers Advantage is to use your Discover Card at BN which gives you 7% rebate and you don't have to shell out the $25 yearly charge.