Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Gave FINAL FANTASY a 2nd viewing.....

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I work at Blockbuster, I got to give this one a second viewing (we got it in this week for employees to rent). Well, everyone knows I thought this movie was crap after the first time I saw it, and it is even worse the second time. The characters are all one dimensional stereotypes. The story is recycled crap, and poorly done for that matter. The acting is a very mixed bag (Steve Buscemi, Peri Gilpin, and Ving Rhames deliver excellent performances. Everyone else, especially Sutherland, seems like they are trying out to be voice actors in the next RESIDENT EVIL game). About the only thing this movie has going for it is the animation, and even then watch to see if you can find designs ripped from other movies (the drop ships look like the flying robots briefly glimpsed in the Terminator movies, the battle armor looks like the soldiers from the Christophe Lambert movie FORTRESS, and so on and so forth...).

I'm sure there are some out there who liked the movie, but I highly suggested renting it if you haven't seen it (I know how many people out there are thinking "crappy movie" + "lots of extras"="good disc" but I still say crap is crap no matter how you try to hide it).

As for the extras, I did not watch them as the movie was bad enough and I just wanted to get it out of my player so I could watch something good (which in this case means anything but ALIENS as most of FINAL FANTASY made me feel as though I was watching a low rent version of ALIENS)
Old 10-16-01, 10:49 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

your right, watched it twice in the theater. went with different friends. was hard to keep myself from laughing at parts even the first time. at the time they did it, they didn't have the tech to pull the movie off, instead of building models with accurate underlying muscles and moving skin they could only build traditional puppet models. no matter how they tried they coulnd't fake realism into the characters, small errors are glaring to us.. shame they didn't start 3 years later, it would truely have potential then.

remember even dinosoars in jp3 are better animated now:P muscles skin etc
Old 10-25-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented FF last night. I now know why it did so bad in the movie houses.

I am glad I did not spend the money to see it 4 months ago.

It really was a bad/boring story.

The video quality was one of the best I have ever seen. Digital to Digital transfer is the way to go. I can not wait until all movies are made with digital cameras. The DVD quality is going to go throught the roof when all movies are made with digital cameras.
Old 10-25-01, 11:43 AM

actually i hope not, or not just yet. digital cameras just don't have the resolution of 35mm yet.. don't forget theres also 70mm formats that we could upgrade to for more detail. until the day we have ultra mega pixel video recorders its just technically a downgrade.
Old 10-25-01, 11:50 AM

its even sadder once you realize that old films like "the sound of music" were filmed in 70mm, yielding an very nice level of detail:P downgrading not good. saves studios money but screws us.