Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Godfather Trilogy

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this thread already exists but I couldn't find it if it does. Now that it's out, what do the dvdtalkers think of the GF trilogy? I've already heard what the review sites have had to say about the set and would like to know if we're in agreement.

Last edited by Triton; 10-09-01 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-09-01, 11:52 PM

Just watched The Godfather. The print does have its problems, but sharpness is just good enough to keep me involved. The audio is strange, the music is sometimes too loud and the bass rocks my sub. The only glaring omission is the lack of the original mono track. Personally I despise 5.1 remixes from a mono source. With that said it is a joy to see these titles finally on dvd. I would say go get them and let Sonny, Fredo, Michael and the Don into your home. Its an offer you can't refuse.
Old 10-10-01, 04:24 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's as good as it can get: the quality of both audio and video is decent (on the par with other 70's releases) but the movie itself is awesome.
Old 10-10-01, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the transfer in part one was quite good. I expected much worse after hearing several people here complaining about it....I agree with the 5.1 comment above. It sounds over done at times...

Last edited by JaxComet; 10-10-01 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-10-01, 09:32 AM

Overall I was extremely pleased with the godfather dvd boxset. The picture tranfers are quite good for all three movies. The sound is very good for all the movies as well, contrary to what some people might say, these are dialogue driven films and not blow em up action movies and this is definitely a huge sound improvement over the previously remastered VHS collection. As for the movies I can't say enough about them, they are absolute classics. The godfather is in my opinion the greatest movie ever made. From the great acting, to the lighting, to the beautiful score by Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola and the amazing direction by Francis Coppola, this film comes quite close to perfection. The godfather 2 is a great continuation to the first movie again with superb acting, directing, and an engaging story. And the godfather 3 is in my opinion vastly underrated, a lot of people were dissapointed by it but I still think it's an excellent film. Also the bonus disc that is included in this collection is amazing. It includes 2 making of featurettes, insight from Coppola, 34 deleted scenes, and many other great features. If you are a true movie and dvd fan you must get the godfather dvd collection.
Old 10-10-01, 12:16 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the sticky tape substance off of the back of the godfather trilogy box?

Thanks..
Old 10-10-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bryskyd
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the sticky tape substance off of the back of the godfather trilogy box?

Thanks..
Just keep at it. You have to roll it all together. It takes some time but eventually you should be able to create one small booger like ball However, my case still has a slight dark stain if you look really close. They should have attached it like on the X-Files box sets....
Old 10-11-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks..
There are many many brands of goo remover. I use it mostly for dvd packaging. Often the top seals leave the sticky stuff on the cases, especially if it is an older dvd that was probably laying around for a long time before being sold.
I have something called "Sticky Stuff Remover" made by Ross.
I got it at an office supply store...I don't remember which one.
I like it because it smells like oranges, but that's probably just me........
Old 10-11-01, 05:28 PM

Does this goo remover damage the cardboard dvd covers? like godfather or simpsons?
Old 10-11-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bringing it back to reviews of the picture and sound...

There is a scene in the first movie where you hear the sounds of crickets and other insects for a few minutes. Quite simply, it is the most unnatural sound effect I think I've ever heard. When it started up, I thought something was wrong with my disc or my DVD player. It sounded like a flaw to me. Not only that, it is so loud that it drowns out the voices of the actors to a great degree (true, it's in Italian with subtitles, but still...). Other than that, the picture and sound are not perfect, but it's an old film. The transfer isn't terrible, but it could be better (especially after considering the picture restoration of Citizen Kane and Snow White - 2 much older films). Not complaining though because I'm glad to finally get one of my three favorite trilogies on DVD (the other 2 being Indiana Jones and Star Wars).
Old 10-12-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does this goo remover damage the cardboard dvd covers? like godfather or simpsons?
In my experience, no. I haven't gotten my godfather yet (it is held up with another preorder at Amazon) so am not sure what the packaging is like.
As long as the cardboard has a waxy like coating on it, I don't see how it could damade the packaging. Perhaps if it was a dark color and apsorptive, it could cause a stain....but I have never had it happen.
Old 10-12-01, 01:21 PM

I carefully used WD-40 and paper napkins. The black cardboard box appears to have a wax or plastic skin so the oil doesn't penetrate or stain. This still took several applications to completely remove all the sticky residue (it tends to spread out). I then wiped up the oil with Windex applied to a paper towel.

I wouldn't attempt removing the inner magnetic strip without first heating it with a hair dyer, and even then be careful. If done wrong this thing takes a big bite out of the inside, bottom of the box.

Last edited by Powerstroke; 10-12-01 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-12-01, 08:44 PM

Mixed Feelings

Godfather III was gorgeous, Godfather II was a little dark (Haven't watched the first one yet). The bonus disk apparently will not play on any Toshiba DVD, nor on some Sonys. But geesh, the movies are so good and they do seem crisper than satellite or cable transmissions, so I'm not complaining. Also no complaints on the music -- sounds fabulous.
Old 10-12-01, 10:50 PM

I just got done watching the Godfather I, and was psyched to finally see it on DVD. There are, however, some disappointments on my part.

I know it's an older movie, and they've done a great job restoring the video, but the audio is pretty tough. Smog was right on- in order to hear dialogue (we all know how much Don Corleone mumbles!), I had to turn it way up, only to be blasted by the audio (and my wife telling me to turn it down!). I thought the video was well done, though.

My main complaint about the set is the packaging. It seems to me that they really went cheap on it. The box itself is a thin cardboard, and the DVDs are all the flip-cardboard with the built in jewel case. To me, it just seems really cheap, unlike some of the other multi-disk great looking box sets, like Nightmare on Elm Street or the X-Files.
Old 10-13-01, 06:56 PM
Cool New Member

I was wondering if any of you had this problem or is it my disc?

When Pacino is in Italy right before his wife gets blown up in the car there is a period of about 1 minute or so where the picture seems to have these white flashes.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-01, 09:18 AM

Mine didn't have any problems like that- I've read in other DVDTalk threads about certain players having problems- Toshiba and some Sony Players, I think.....
Old 05-19-03, 05:22 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone think they'll release the Godfather Trilogy edited in Chronological order, as they did on Laserdisc? I'd really like to see this in Widescreen...or maybe I'll break down and buy the box set.
Old 05-19-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spinn
Does anyone think they'll release the Godfather Trilogy edited in Chronological order, as they did on Laserdisc? I'd really like to see this in Widescreen...or maybe I'll break down and buy the box set.
IMO, I hope not. I think the chronological version is an abomination to cinema history. I like The Godfather Part 2 more than Part One mainly because of the alternating storylines and their parallels bewtween past and present. This is totally destroyed in the chronological bastardization, but hey, that's just my opinion.....