Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted : The Last Broadcast

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across this title on eBay and was just curious as to what you guys thought about it. I read the review on the forum, but just wanted a littlee more insight. Thanks.

We were up at "the top of the world" and we saw this shooting star and we decided to go look for it. But instead of finding the shooting star we saw this... this circus tent. And that's when we went inside, and that is when we saw those people in those... those pink, cotton candy cocoons. Dave, it was not a circus tent. It was something else
Old 10-09-01, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's one of my most interesting DVDs.

Opinions seem heavily mixed, but I found it to be very creepy - like Exorcist creepy. The mockumentary style, the dark feel, odd shooting and directing style, and the strange audio and visual effects combine to make my skin crawl. Even better, it contains few of the cheap startling effects of Scream or other faux horror/thrill movies; the scares are very cerebral, the kind of stuff you mull around in your head for days afterwards, deliciously horrific. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, overall.

I do have two strong caveats.

First, it's a very amateur production. The pacing is sometimes off and the film was obviously shot on an absolute shoestring budget (something like a few hundred dollars.)

Second, the ending is awful. The last five minutes of the movie just plain suck. It would have been better had the movie just faded out to black before this section, without any sort of wrap-up. Bear this in mind and be prepared to be sorely disappointed.

Interestingly - the commentary track by the director and one of the lead actors is great. It even redeems the ending a bit; they talk about just what the hell they were trying to do, and they even admit that they totally failed to come through. This is one of the more fun commentary tracks I've heard.

Extras are pretty scant. I remember a few short snippets on selected topics, including one on the Jersey Devil that really should have been incorporated into the film somehow.

Overall, I recommend this disc. If you can get it cheap, spring for it.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 10-09-01 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-10-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't even waste your time!

What an utter piece of garbage.
Forget about the bad ending.
It's nearly impossible to sit through
the film without scanning forward...
it's like watching paint dry.
Low budget...how about NO BUDGET!
Obviously the producers of this flick
wanted to cash in on the success of
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Boy do they
fail monumentally.

Avoid this film at all cost. Do yourself a favor
and check out the new thriller JOY RIDE currently
in theatres. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-10-01, 12:39 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Second, the ending is awful.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-10-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Don't even waste your time!

Originally posted by highdef
Obviously the producers of this flick
wanted to cash in on the success of
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Boy do they
fail monumentally.

Actually "The Last Broadcast" came out in 1998. I don't think "The Blair Witch Project" came out until 1999........
Old 10-10-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I would definitely recommend renting this one first before buying it unless you can buy it for almost rental price. This seems to be one of those movies that is either loved or hated.

I personally hated this movie & felt it was a waste of my time but others seem to love it. The movie moves rather slow & I never found it to be the least bit scary or even creepy. Who knows, you might love it.
Old 10-10-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an interesting alternative to Blair Witch, and the DVD has a solid commentary track, especially if you're a fan of true independent films:

http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/lastbroadcast.html
Old 10-11-01, 11:02 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the crap that made THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT suck so royally, only different. Personally, I'd avoid it like the plague, but if BWP was your thing, you may find some elements of interest in LAST BROADCAST...