Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Mail Theft? :(

Old 10-08-01, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mail Theft? :(

I did a search for this and didn't find any relevant post, so please don't bite my head off!

I ordered a disk from Playcentric.com a month ago. I finally found the infamous brown bubble-wrap in my PO Box, but guess what, the flap is open (not torn, just open) and there is just the receipt of the sale inside.

Is there any chance that I'll get a refund from playcentric? After all, if they had shipped it in time, and had used proper cardboard packaging like Amazon, I would have seen the movie a dozen times now (OK, that was rant, I just had to get it off)!

Seriously, what can I do? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Chaver.
Old 10-09-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
the flap is open
Is it one of those with the strip that you pull off to seal the envelope? If the paper's still there you could mention that...

Rex
Old 10-09-01, 01:25 AM

That happened to me just 2 days ago with one of my Netflix rentals. The Post Office put a stamp on it indicating contents were missing. Check your envelope, that might help you out.
Old 10-09-01, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The post office can be very helpful in these cases. I've found my mail carrier to be very observant in every place I've lived. When asked about the package, your carrier may remember it if you act quickly.

Then again, I tip my mail carrier (and UPS route driver) rather well. When you receive a ton of stuff via the mail... might as well do what you can to make it happen well. I cannot describe the benefits a nice holiday tip can have on service levels.

-Beebs
Old 10-09-01, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by beebs
The post office can be very helpful in these cases. I've found my mail carrier to be very observant in every place I've lived. When asked about the package, your carrier may remember it if you act quickly.

Then again, I tip my mail carrier (and UPS route driver) rather well. When you receive a ton of stuff via the mail... might as well do what you can to make it happen well. I cannot describe the benefits a nice holiday tip can have on service levels.

-Beebs
You actually tip your mail man? I've never heard of that.
Old 10-09-01, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvde

You actually tip your mail man? I've never heard of that.
I've actually heard of it, but only on TV and Dear Abbey. Way to go Beebs!

I'd tip the mailman but we have a different one everyday.
Old 10-09-01, 08:01 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This happened to me with a DVD I ordered with Video Universe. I got one of those boxes that 'snaps' in rather than glued shut. The receipt and packing material were still in there but no DVD.

I contacted VU's customer service and filed a report with the post office. VU sent me a replacement copy.
Old 10-09-01, 11:03 AM
Suspended

This happend to me recently with a $200 Playcentric order. I filed a report with the USPS, and contacted Playcentric. After five emails and a phone call, and despite a week-long initial delay getting any response from the company whatsoever, I eventually received a full refund.
Old 10-09-01, 12:09 PM

That happened to me with a cordless phone a few years ago. The box arrives and I wonder why it's so light. I open it up and find the product box ripped open and the base and phone are missing. The thief left everything else. I had to go through the hassle of reordering and dealing with UPS to verify the theft to the vendor to get my credit. Who knows where it got lifted. Maybe somewhere in a UPS warehouse.

Mike
Old 10-09-01, 05:55 PM

Thank You

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I talked with the manager at the post office. He was very courteous and said that usually when something like this happens (i.e. a package without any content comes in), the guys handling it are supposed to place a note on the cover saying that it came in in that condition.

I've also emailed playcentric, and check this classic reply:
"Due to heavier than normal levels of customer service
emails, we may be unable to answer your inquiry within the
stated 24 hour period"! :-)

- Chaver.
Old 10-10-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by beebs

Then again, I tip my mail carrier

-Beebs
Must be nice, I never see the same mail carrier twice on our street.