Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any buyer complaints on half.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an alledgely like-new CAV version of Blade Runner Criterion over a month ago. On Saturday it finally shows up. It had only been mailed last week. In the package was the CLV version which was certainly not like new. It was much closer to poor. I filed the complaint process on half.com. Has any dealt with this before? They said the buyer has 48 hours to response. What should I except? Will half.com refund the return shipping if I have to mail this thing back to the seller?
Old 10-09-01, 02:39 PM

If the seller does not respond to your complaint, Half will refund all of your money. If the seller does respond and agrees to replace the defective item, Half will refund the initial shipping charge, but you will have to pay to ship the item back to the seller.

When I returned a defective item to the seller (with delivery confirmation), they sat on it for almost a month. I had to file another complaint before I finally received a replacement.
Old 10-09-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I had so much trouble with Half.com that I finally stopped buying there. I got cheated on three different Laserdisc purchases. They would list it as the CAV, Criterion, or Special Edition and they would ship me the cheap regular version. Three different sellers did this. Half.com takes forever to issue refunds. My last one took two months to get.

The strangest thing is I've bought 20 LDs on ebay and never been cheated. Its like the crooks feel more comfortable on Half.com. Don't get me started with Switchhouse.
Old 10-09-01, 04:03 PM

I try to avoide Half.com whenever possible. I was burned twice from two people. One a**hole claimed he sent my product but I never received it. I put in a complaint with Half.com but they said "I was in the process of being credited...." That was in July....Still waiting!!!!!
Also...some dumba** claimed to send me a "new/still in shrinkwrap" Bedazzled DVD. I got it, but there was no security seal on it and the disc was scratched...but still somehow had shrinkwrap.....
Oh well...live and learn....
Old 10-09-01, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info about half.com. I think I may stear clear it of them. If the seller does not repsonse what do I with the disc?
Old 10-12-01, 09:09 PM

The buyer has not responed. I made the communcation on Sunday evening. Do I have to do anything else, or will half.com automatically refund my money?
Old 10-13-01, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

I'm having the a similar problem myself. I ordered a titan ae dvd on Sep 2. By Sep 29th I still hadn't received it. I did the report complaint on the site and the seller said they would send another one. As of Oct 12 I still didn't have it. Called half.com told them my problem. They said they would e-mail the seller then e-mail me. 41 days and no dvd, this is my first and last time I order from half.com! Now I have to try to get a refund what a pain in the rear.
Old 10-13-01, 07:03 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
dispute the charge with credit card company. that always works
Old 10-14-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, let me just say that most of the sellers ship the DVDs sometimes, a few days after they are supposed to. I've bought about 20 DVD from them, and have received all but one DVD. Since I used a lot of coupons, I still got the DVDs at a better price than from the store. Also, I ordered a few SE titles and got the correct versions. Maybe I just got lucky. The reason why I stopped using them is because
1) media mail is too slow
2) they take a long time to look into my complaint (an I still have not received any money yet)

A tip to those who still use Half: Make sure the seller has good feedback and that he has sold a decent amount of stuff. I know this may sound cruel to the people who just started to sell stuff, but their support sucks.
Old 10-17-01, 11:08 PM

I got an email from half.com saying that the seller did not repond so they will be refunding my money. I hope I get it relatively quickly. They did not say to mail back the laserdisc so it looks like Do I get the CLV Criterion Blade Runner for free?
Old 10-18-01, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if they don't tell you to return it, it's yours to keep
Old 12-08-01, 10:52 PM

I got an email from half.com about this one today. They want me to mail the laserdisc back to the seller. I wonder if I should wait the same amount of time it took them to respond.
Old 12-09-01, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I've always wondered about half.com and special editions. Only once in many, many discs I bought did I not receive anything. I guess the seller did not respond, because my complaint went through quickly.

On the other hand, I've always been wary of buying a SE of a movie, because I'm expecting the regular/bare-bones edition. I'd have to say they've improved their site, but still it seems so shady. I took the plunge once on the Dogma DVD and got what I wanted. I wish the sellers would list specifically what they have. Like The Grinch. I wonder how many people have the fullscreen version listed under the widescreen section. Who knows? My best advice is to look at feedback and hope. But I'd avoid multiple editions if possible.
Old 12-09-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jericho
I wish the sellers would list specifically what they have. Like The Grinch. I wonder how many people have the fullscreen version listed under the widescreen section. Who knows? My best advice is to look at feedback and hope. But I'd avoid multiple editions if possible.
If you want to know -- ask. It is now possible for buyers to ask individual sellers questions on their listings... even for small items like dvds. Obviously, it won't stop dishonesty but you should be able to resolve most questions before the sale. Unfortunately. some sellers may not respond to questions. This seems especially true of sellers with huge inventories (ie. stores, pawnshops etc.). If you're not comfortable, don't buy.
Old 12-09-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anytime I see someone posting about half.com I am going to warn them. Never ever ever buy a gift certificate from them. You'll never get the thing to work and customer service won't be able to fix it no matter how many times you try. They are really nice to talk to but can't help you. Sorry if I was a bit off topic just trying to save someone the hassle of what I've been through.