Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

God I HATE paypal

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

God I HATE paypal

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God I HATE paypal

I sold my laptop on ebay for $560 and was paid through paypal. When I tried to accept the payment it said I needed to upgrade my account to accept the money because of some crap about the costs of credit card transactions. Fine so now I had $543.46 in my account but since my bank account happens to be with another service of theirs I couldn't transfer the funds. So I opened up a new account so I could just paypal the funds and then withdraw them. So I sent myself $543.47 and then noticed I only had $527.40 because I got charged with their fee again. Now if this fee is for credit card costs and they say that sending money through paypal is free then why the hell are they charging me another $16 for a direct paypal to paypal transfer. This is bullsh!t. It just cost me $32.60 to withdraw my own money. I'm never using this ripoff service again. I remember when paypal actually used to be a good service. And their $ 5 bonus for signing up now is a joke. You have to register everything from your bank accounts to your SSN and deposit $250. But of course the $500+ I sent myself didn't even qualify for that. I have to do it through my account so then they'll charge me $6+ so they can give me $5....great service. sorry I just had to vent.
Old 10-04-01, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I understanding this right? You're blaming Paypal because you didn't have your banking account linked up, which would have allowed you to tranfer the money directly to your banking account for free? And yes, for a long time now there has been a fee associated with RECEIVING payments.
Old 10-04-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no...papyal wouldnt let me use my banking account with my original paypal account....i had to open a new account to register my bank account then transfer the money between my accounts, thereby paying the fee twice.
Old 10-04-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
no...papyal wouldnt let me use my banking account with my original paypal account....i had to open a new account to register my bank account then transfer the money between my accounts, thereby paying the fee twice.
You probably should've just had a check sent to you, that costs 1.50.

So far I've refused to upgrade my account (I don't want to pay the fees). I've been asking for non-credit card paypal transfers as payment on most of my auctions so I don't eat into my $100 credit card receiving limit for the month. I've noticed other sellers are starting to do that too.
Old 10-04-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Having a buyer do a non credit card transfer would mean the buyer use his/her bank account as a source of funds?
Old 10-04-01, 03:07 PM

Yes, to do a non-credit card transaction the buyer must either have the funds in his account or transfer the funds from his bank account. I normally, but not always, have funds to pay someone with.

I refuse to bid on any auction by anyone who won't accept the PAYPAL fee - it's a legitimate cost of doing business that all businesses must absorb when someone pays by credit card.
Old 10-04-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do accept the credit card fee as i stated, but after I paid the fee once, it's no longer a credit card fee. The money was just paypal funds. They shouldn't charge again to access those same paypal funds as they are not charging a credit card...
Old 10-04-01, 05:45 PM

Why don't you try www.ecount.com - won't cost you a thing. Sender is charged $2.00 for depositing cash into their account. Transfers between accounts are free and it's a real debit card so you can spend it online...
Old 10-04-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigT
I refuse to bid on any auction by anyone who won't accept the PAYPAL fee - it's a legitimate cost of doing business that all businesses must absorb when someone pays by credit card.
Well, I could just accept the fees but add a "handling" fee to every auction. I've seen some sellers do that. They usually manage to pass the fees onto the buyer.
Old 10-05-01, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Use www.bidpay.com, no fees to the seller although you do have to wait for a check to arrive.
Old 10-06-01, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Use www.bidpay.com, no fees to the seller although you do have to wait for a check to arrive.
It's good for Sellers but not for Buyers because they charges $5.00 just to purchase a Money Order....that's just a bit too much...
That kind of fees would drive Buyers away from your auctions.
Old 10-07-01, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by money

It's good for Sellers but not for Buyers because they charges $5.00 just to purchase a Money Order....that's just a bit too much...
That kind of fees would drive Buyers away from your auctions.
Which is why will NEVER pay for anything using bidpay.
Old 10-07-01, 10:44 AM

Paypal issues a mastercard debit. I find it very convenient and it gives BACK 2.5% for every purchase. When ebay charges my fees it is paid with paypal mastercard there by in effect REDUCING my ebay fees by 2.5 % ! The account is also linked to my paypal account so if I purchase something from say D.D.D, C.H or Digital eyes or whoever that accepts mastercard online, I can see instantly what I was charged and it lowers my order total by 2.5 %. How can that be bad? I also like this card for security reasons, by using a card with a limited amount online my whole bank account is not at risk of being drained, just the few hundred bucks that is kept in my paypal account.