Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon ordering with coupons....question about shipping.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-30-01, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, there are a lot of good movies coming out in the next couple months and I want to order some. Now I can use some of these amazon coupons, but I have a question about shipping. Say I order a movie that comes out in october, then one that comes out in november. I use a coupon, but what should I put for the shipping? Ship all at once, or ship separatly? Is one cheaper than the other, or does it not matter?

I thought at one point they would ship stuff that came out early, even if you checked ship all at once.
Old 09-30-01, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless you request items to ship as they are available when you checkout, they will wait until the last item is ready. It depends on whether you want to pay $2 extra to get them when available.
Old 09-30-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always wait until my order is complete before shipping to save on costs. Sometimes they did ship an item early even if you wanted to wait but they have not done that for me in a very long time. Maybe if you don't want to wait you would be better off trying to combine orders with the same release date if possible.
Old 09-30-01, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My last few multi-item orders have all been split with the items shipped seperately. That's fine with me, as long as I don't get charged any extra. The odd thing is that a couple of times, certain items in an order have been shipped seperately within minutes of one another, from the same shipping center.

In answer to you question, there really is no way to tell what they are going to do. It's purely at their discretion, so having items in an order shipped seperately is hit-and-miss at best. It may happen, but in the end Amazon does have the right to hold the order until everything is ready.

Two things I've noticed however is that they seem more likely to split up and ship items seperately from a larger order (3-5 items), than from a smaller order (2 items). While most of my recent larger orders have been split up and the items shipped seperately, very few of my orders with only 2 items were split - in most cases they waited until everything was ready for shipping.

Also, I found (at least in my case) that Amazon will make no more than two shipments per order. In other words, if you order 4 or 5 items and one of them happens to ship seperately, they will wait until they have the full remainder of the rest of the order before making another shipment.

I also used a coupon code on all of these orders, so I don't think that makes any difference in regards to shipping.

Like someone else mentioned, the best thing to do is to combine items where the release date is the same or at least close. If you pre-order one item coming out in October and one in November, you *may* get lucky and have the earlier released item shipped seperately, but then again, you may end up waiting until November for it. Other than that, the only way to guarantee they will ship on time is to pay the $2.00 to have them shipped seperately.

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 10-01-01 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 04:12 AM

why dont amazon allow you to combine orders that have promo coupons applied to them

surely its cheaper for them to send one package rather than two or more?!