Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warning Simpsons Season 1 (Québec Canada)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-30-01, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in Québec Canada and you plan to listen to the French audio track, you should be warned that it is not the kickass Québec translation but a France translation.

A very bad move from Fox, since this is a region 1 DVD, not a region 2 DVD. You can sign a petition for Fox to release the next seasons using the proper audio track that you may have listen to for the last 10 years on TV. Here is the link: http://www.dvdenfrancais.com/accueil...s_petition.asp

Some more info: http://www.canadiandvdgroup.com/index2.htm

I was planning to buy that one but now you can't be sure that I'll pass it (the only DVD that I would prefer to listen to another track than the original and they have to screw it ) And if you live in Québec you know how great this translation is!
Old 09-30-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't take this personnally, but the Quebec translation is utterly horrid . Around 90% of the jokes are badly translated so they are not funny since everything is lost in the translation. I watch it in both french and english and the french version is so bad I have to laugh at it.

Side not- It's also funny how they remove all the violence in the Quebec version (especially itchy and scratchy) but add at least 1 part per episode that you don't see in the US ones.
Old 09-30-01, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Feneant
Don't take this personnally, but the Quebec translation is utterly horrid . Around 90% of the jokes are badly translated so they are not funny since everything is lost in the translation. I watch it in both french and english and the french version is so bad I have to laugh at it.

Side not- It's also funny how they remove all the violence in the Quebec version (especially itchy and scratchy) but add at least 1 part per episode that you don't see in the US ones.

I won't take it personnally since I didn't participate in the making of the Simpsons. It is your opinion and I respect it but since I have also watched them in French and in English I still think that the French version is better. Also, you have to understand that I don't live in the US, and that I don't have that culture. In the Québec version they modify some cultural elements so that it means something to us (I don't know all the "celebrities" in the US...). Also, don't forget that not everybody is bilingual...

And the point of my post was not a "Québec track" vs "Original US track", it was simply a warning to those that planned to buy the DVD and watch it in French. I already know 2 people that won't buy it because of this and I though that other people might want to know. IMO buyers should get all the information before buying a product.
Old 09-30-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

out of curiosity, are French movies translated into Quebecois?
thanks for the info

young
Old 09-30-01, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by young
out of curiosity, are French movies translated into Quebecois?
thanks for the info

young
No.

This is simply because the Simpsons if a fiction show with no actual real location so they can easily replace the US references with Canada references.
Old 09-30-01, 11:18 PM

i looove the quebec translation. i wouldn't say it's better than the original, but it's quite hilarious

julian