Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

good bye family wonder

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

good bye family wonder

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-01, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good bye family wonder

sorry if this is old news, i searched and found no mention of it.

anyway i was thinking back to the old days and some of the sites we all frequented in our bargain hunting and tried to check out familywonder and alas...

"Unfortunately, FamilyWonder.com is no longer in operation. We thank you for your patronage and hope you have enjoyed the products, services and information we've provided. We extend our best wishes to you and your family."

It may be old news but it was new to me.

Oh well

another one down and another one down another one bites the dust...

im off to see what come up these days when i type in whatshatnow...
Old 09-28-01, 09:31 AM

I didn't know either. Sad news to me also.
Old 09-28-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatshotnow was history a while ago. The only online store that I know of that survived the era total exploitation of online deals was buybidwin.com which amazingly is still in business. For those not familiar, they had the infamous Lets Make a Deal game which you could play every day in an attempt to win a gift certificate or cash (usually $10 cash or $10/$20 gift certificate, but occassionally a higher valued gift certificate). Since you could play 3 times a day on multiple accounts, you usually ended up with at least 1 per day for a free item since they also had free shipping. I think now you just get like a 10% off coupon or something for playing.
Old 09-28-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: good bye family wonder

Originally posted by dilligaf
Unfortunately, FamilyWonder.com is no longer in operation.
Not sure they need the "Un" part of that.

I’m surprised they stayed around as long as they did with the regular bait and switch tactics they employed.

Gone andforgotten.
Old 09-28-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: good bye family wonder

Originally posted by jonathan.e
I’m surprised they stayed around as long as they did with the regular bait and switch tactics they employed.
Agreed. This is actually funny because I was just cleaning out an old e-mail folder from Family Wonder last week...

They had a "Buy 1, Get 2 Free" promotion a looong while ago. I ordered my 3 DVDs and -- you guessed it -- they sent me my 1, charged my card, but my 2 free were mysteriously backordered. A month later, without notifying me, they cancelled the backordered items. So, without even telling me, they changed the promotion to a "Buy 1, Get 1" sale.

It took literally 5 months to clear this entire issue up. I had to call 4 different people, get my credit card involved, and send e-mails at a rate of about 2 a week.

My first (and last) order with them.
Old 09-28-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody remember the 50% off promotion they had (via rebate)..that was funny. I did get my check though...that was in the PointClick days of old.
Old 12-10-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just went there for old time sake and found it toast . I came here and searched before posting a stupid thread

Anyway , Im glad I slammed it home on them several times . I got some decent deals for movies from them . It's not a surprise they are gone since thier service stunk , they changed and baited all the time , and they gave away discounts out the wazoo .
Old 12-10-01, 10:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Hey! They still owe me some return postage they never came through with!
Old 12-10-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got in on one or two deals from them then stayed away as they started to do rebates.

Glad to see them gone since they screwed so many people. although I am glad I got my cheap dvd's from them