Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why are Anchor Bay LEs so cheap at Best Buy?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not complaining. I picked up the Heathers LE tin for $24.99 and the Suspiria LE for $27.99. I had just picked up the Wicker Man LE for $24.99 a few weeks ago.

How is Best Buy able to sell these so cheap? I'm guessing they have a deal with Anchor Bay. Considering how expensive the Anchor Bay LEs usually are I hope Best Buy keeps selling them this cheap.
Old 09-26-01, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's 37 and 38 percent off the MSRP, which is not uncommon for new releases at Best Buy. They had an even better deal on the American Pie UE, which was 17.99, or 40 percent off.
Old 09-26-01, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, but the difference is the American Pie was a sale price, whereas the Anchor Bay's are priced that all the time (the price is on the sticker on the item).

same thing happens w/ A&E discs at deepdiscountdvd.com in that they are much cheaper there than anywhere else.

My guess is they have some partnership w/ them or one of their parent companies -
Old 09-26-01, 10:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too like their prices. Usually the same (if not better) than preordering nowadays.
Old 09-26-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pasolini
yes, but the difference is the American Pie was a sale price, whereas the Anchor Bay's are priced that all the time (the price is on the sticker on the item).

same thing happens w/ A&E discs at deepdiscountdvd.com in that they are much cheaper there than anywhere else.

My guess is they have some partnership w/ them or one of their parent companies -
I've taken advantage of this at Deep Discount DVD. The Acorn Media releases are also heavily discounted. I bought the A&E Miss Marple set for $19.97 at Deep Discount. 50% off is pretty nice.
Old 09-27-01, 12:17 AM

Doesn't Best Buy own the Suncoasts/Sam Goodys/etc. mall chains that are selling some of the Anchor Bays so cheap? I smell a conspiracy, and it smells good!
Old 09-27-01, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pasolini
When I purchased Heathers Tin yesterday the regular price on the tin was $39.95 so I don't know if this will go off sale (from $24.99) come this Sunday. The past three LEs - Wicker Man, Maniac & Suspira never went up in price after the initial sale. In fact Wicker Man & Maniac were never advertised in the first place.
Old 09-27-01, 10:21 AM

Off Topic but, as your forum financial adviser isnt the movie only versions such as "Heathers" enough. I mean I can see buying the L.Es like AOD, Wicker Man or others with a directors cut but titles like Susperia, Heathers and others have the same movie disc as the non L.E edition, why not save a buck or two and buy an extra title with all that dough?
Old 09-27-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Pacman
Off Topic but, as your forum financial adviser isnt the movie only versions such as "Heathers" enough. I mean I can see buying the L.Es like AOD, Wicker Man or others with a directors cut but titles like Susperia, Heathers and others have the same movie disc as the non L.E edition, why not save a buck or two and buy an extra title with all that dough?
You know, sometimes in life there is no justification on what you spend your money on! You can find fault at most anything people spend money on.
Old 09-27-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Pacman
Its the collector thing for me. I agree that the movie is the most important thing, but I get caught up in the collecting aspect as well. The Yearbook is pretty nice in the Heather tin though.

The worst example of this was the Evil Dead II tin. The disc was the same and the booklet was basically worthless, so there was really no reason to buy the tin other than it being limited. That said I bought the tin anyway. Call me a sucker, but I get caught up in the collecting.