Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata and beyond: discussing the Region-Free DVD player options

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata and beyond: discussing the Region-Free DVD player options

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-01, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Region Free DVD Players Which ones are the best???

Sampo's DVE-611 Region Free DVD Player anyone have it?
Is it any good? It seems pretty cheap around $200 or so and it is suppose to convert from NTSC to Pal and vice versa. Any input that anyone has on this DVD player would ge greatly appreciated. I know the Malta is one that everyone is raving about but this one is about $100 cheaper... so just wonder about the picture quality etc.....

Please feel free to list what you think is the best region free players also... I am looking into getting one. Although the picture from my PC to the TV is very good, I am not sure if a couple hundred dollar upgrade for a new player is worth it....
Old 09-24-01, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Malata does flawless Pal to NTSC conversion and its picture quality is excellent---its also progressive scan...Just do a search about it here at dvdtalk, or at avsforum and you will see the raves this player has gotten....I can attest to its performance myself, because I also own one...The Sampo is decent, but from what I've read, it quite a few levels below the Malata.
Old 09-25-01, 10:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If you want a PAL conversion, the Malata is the ONLY choice.

Sampo's player sucks. It's that simple.
Old 09-28-01, 06:54 AM

Malata and anamorphic

Is the Malata able to convert PAL Anamorphic discs so they play letterboxed on a 4:3 TV? I have an Apex and all my PAL Anomorphic Discs (Sopranos Season 2 for example) that are 1.85:1 are streched out so they fill the whole screen. I've looked into other codefree players like the Sky worth and Sampo and they also appear to have this problem. Also, is the Malata Macrovision disabled, and is the Megion 0 machine better than the region 1, seing that the code can be disabled on both?
Old 09-28-01, 08:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As said above, the Malata is the only player able to convert PAL properly. Do a search for Malata and you will pull up countless threads talking about this. An APEX the Malata is not.
Old 09-28-01, 08:37 AM

Re: Malata and anamorphic

Originally posted by reelblack
Is the Malata able to convert PAL Anamorphic discs so they play letterboxed on a 4:3 TV
Yes
Old 09-28-01, 08:40 AM

I have a 3 year old JVC 30" 4:3 TV and the Malata converts all anamorphic widescreen PAL DVDs properly.
Old 09-29-01, 07:47 PM
wkc
Cool New Member

If there is a Sams Club nearby, check out the Daewoo 3000N:
Region selectable
PAL to NTSC signal conversion and visa versa
USD100

Regards
Old 10-01-01, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

Where is the cheapest place to purchase a Daewoo 3000N online?

Hi! I'm new to the forum. This seemed like best place to find out this info. Is there anything I should know about this player? Problems? Benefits? Thanks!!!! -Matt
Old 10-01-01, 01:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't say where you reside or mention a target price.

I did a search and the two most likely threads mention Sams Club.

One was in this forum yesterday and the other was in the DVD & Home Theater Hardware Forum: first, second.

[Edit: no idea if that store has an online presence!]

[Re-edit: it has! link]

You're welcome....

Last edited by benedict; 10-02-01 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 06:02 PM
Cool New Member

Great! Thanks!!!
Old 10-01-01, 09:34 PM

Isn't Daewoo going bankrupt???
Old 10-02-01, 07:25 AM

Getting ready to take the plunge.

Okay. What with more region 3 movies becoming available and with more coming out in the PAL format, I'm getting ready to hock the cat and get a Malata. But if I look around at various forums I see all kinds of little issues with this DVD player; sound problems, Mei Ah DVDs not playing, subtitles not showing up. I'm wondering, now that the honeymoon period is over, are we still as enchanted with the Malata as we were when it first showed up?
p.s. I'm really not going to hock the cat. He'd kill me.
Joel
Old 10-02-01, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Others out there may know more about the selection (and the company I've never used them before, I just know about them) but try http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/ I was looking at one of the JVC or Phillips models early. Pretty much all of these are multiregion, some do the PAL->NTSC conversion and run on 110 power as well IF you have any questions about a specific player just ask them, they always answered me within a day or so.

Again though, I've never used this company so I don't know how reliable they are. Oh also, they don't take US cc, but they'll take ANY check, and if you are like me my CC companies are always sending me checks
Old 10-02-01, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I've had my Malata for a while and I'm still enchanted with it. Granted I haven't played millions of discs on it, but there always seems to be some work around that will allow me to get what I want out of the player. I'm still amazed that it has played everything I've tried and puts out a very good picture. (Others results may vary.)

These other players might do the job just as successfully or better. Maybe someone who owns one will post some reviews or info?
Old 10-02-01, 11:03 AM

I just received my Malata a few days ago and thus far this is the best purchase I've made. Haven't had any problems yet and really don't expect any outside of the possible handful of issues I've heard some people have. I was going to get the Sampo, but like the Apex heard the PAL--->NTSC conversion was terrible, as well as some widescreen titles weren't displayed as such. And finally, being the horror film conisseur that I am, it's great to finally be able to get titles from other countries that haven't or won't be released here in the states anytime soon.

I guess I'm saying GET THIS PLAYER!

--------------------------------------

My Film Library
Old 10-02-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Does anyone know if the Daewoo 3000N from Sam's Club (black model manufactured date june 2001) can be region hacked with the remote?

My local Sam's Club has a lot of these models in stock but I want to make sure before I buy one. I thought I read some where only the silver models manufactured before June 2001 can be hacked with the remote.

Kahuna
Old 10-02-01, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pioneer is the way to go,but I dont know where you gonna get it,I got mine in Malaysia and its defect free!
Old 10-03-01, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kahuna
Does anyone know if the Daewoo 3000N from Sam's Club (black model manufactured date june 2001) can be region hacked with the remote?

My local Sam's Club has a lot of these models in stock but I want to make sure before I buy one. I thought I read some where only the silver models manufactured before June 2001 can be hacked with the remote.

Kahuna
http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayershac...-3000N&get=Get

Jean Paul
Old 10-03-01, 08:30 PM

I've had three players so far, two of which are multi-region (I distinguish between "multi-region" and "code-free;" more info below). My first multi-region player was a Raite, and all I can say is - avoid it! It just had lots of glitches and the PAL/NTSC conversion was laughably bad.
My newest multi-region player is the Pioneer DV-37 Elite, which is progressive scan. So far (five months or so) it's been a beautiful player. Unfortunately, it doesn't do format conversion, so a separate PAL/NTSC converter is needed. It's also expensive, at around $800 on up (the non-multi-region version is much cheaper, of course).
One thing I always advise people about is: make sure that if you get a "code-free" player, it allows you to choose between the regions. If it's one of those players that comes set in "region-0" mode, you won't be able to play a lot of region-1 discs that have RCE (region coding enhancement).
Old 10-21-01, 01:10 PM
Banned

Region Free Player

I need a good player to paly region 2 dvds on. ANy suggestions? Anything I need to know?
Old 10-22-01, 09:29 AM

There's only one player to consider... Malata N996
check out www.avdeals.com for info

J.T.
Old 10-22-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jtkv
There's only one player to consider... Malata N996
check out www.avdeals.com for info
Note that they are not shipping Malatas at this time:

http://www.avdeals.com/damnmalatas.htm
Old 10-22-01, 12:12 PM

My plan is to buy a Malata when and if they begin shipping them to the US again, but lets speak hypothetically that they decide not to ship to the US anymore like one person said in a previous thread. What then would be the best player to get that offers multi region and pal->NTSC conversion? All other options are just bonuses to me, those are the top concerns.
Thanx for any help you all might offer
Old 10-22-01, 12:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tanner: for more specific info check out: Which Malata DVD Player Do I Order - and from where? [Merged]

I'm not convinced that multiple threads on the same point are necessary hence the merger of yours with this pre-existing one.

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum

Last edited by benedict; 10-22-01 at 01:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.