Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale Dvd!!!!!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Battle Royale Dvd!!!!!

Old 09-24-01, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battle Royale Dvd!!!!!

The disc is now available at DDDhouse. It comes out 9-27 from Universe. The disc has english subs and a Dts track. I can't wait to see this again. I wonder what cut it is. Oh yeah it's region 3 too.
Old 09-24-01, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It'll definitely be the short version. Universe will probably use the same version they released on VCD and the Japanese will not allow an extended version to be released elsewhere when they aren't even releasing that version themselves. Japanese studios are notorious for not allowing a foreign studio to release a film, or a version of a film, on DVD until after they have. Trust me on this, I know.
Old 09-24-01, 02:21 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, like how they wouldn't allow a Japanese DD5.1 track on the american Akira DVD and how they wouldn't allow the Japanese language at first for the US Princess Mononoke DVD
Old 09-25-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
^_^ Actually Princess Mononoke was Disney's choice - they didn't want to release it with the Japanese track since in essence - that makes them do work toward putting the disc out. It took a moderately sized petitioning campeign in order for them to include it, this wasn't a licensing thing, it was just Disney, well, being Disney (as with many Miramax foreign flicks being cut and missing native language on the DVD.)

Akira 5.1 will be on the $80 Jap release, they had to have something superior to the $40 US release, I suppose. X, royal piss off, is licensing hell - non-anamorphic, non-progressive, non-5.1/dts audio japanese track, and the worst dub ever, that one really has nothing going for it.

I don't really have a point with this post but felt like posting anyway.

-Rich
Old 09-25-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Back on topic.

Battle Royale is now listed at:

DDDhouse for $8.77

Hivizone $10

Keep in mind that Hivizone has a 10% discount for repeat customers and bills from its US office so there is no currency conversion fee.
Old 09-25-01, 08:11 PM

Better wait t for the battle Royale DVD specs... it may be full screen!
check out www.asiandvdguide.com for some unclear info....

J.T.
Old 09-27-01, 10:47 AM

I e-mailed DDDHouse and Johnny said that he thinks it's widescreen but he's not positive yet. Stay tuned...
Old 09-27-01, 01:30 PM
Cool New Member

Since the vcd is widescreen, I don't see why the DVD wouldn't be...
Old 09-27-01, 04:15 PM

from AsianDVDGuide.com

Divine9
I have my copy right now, and i can tell a few things about it.

DVD seems to be region free/0
4:3 1.85:1 Widescreen
29.97 INTERLACED

Japanese 2ch Stereo Language Track
Japanese 6ch Language Track
Japanese DTS Language Track

Chinese Subs
English Subs
Chinese (Simplified) Subs

It has very few extras.
Quality seems to be good, but can not compare to an prof. mastered usa dvd.

J.T.
Old 09-28-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
29.97 Interlaced doesn't sound very nice, but i'm willing to fork over $12.50 for the DVD of it. But I think i'll wait to see if it really is R0 or not (the bootleg is R0, the HK Was supposed to be R3 but as posted is apparently not). If it's R0, it's mine :-D

-Rich
Old 09-28-01, 02:18 PM

more from www.asiandvdguide.com

Bonepile:

Japanese DVD Battle Royale Special Features
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just received the R-15 114 minute, Region 2 encoded, BATTLE ROYALE from C.D.Japan (DSTD-02017 for 5,200 yen) it is letterboxed with dolby 5.1 surround sound that will blow you out of the room, you feel as if you are trapped on the island. The depth of sound is breathtaking, sound effects are enhanced at every turn they will literally blow you out of your seat. The picture is FAR superior to the Universe VCD, but what really gets you in this one are the special features which include:
(1) the 12-16-2000 premiere with the stars on stage talking with the audience(15 Minutes)
(2) a minute and a quarter still photo shoot with Beat Takeshi commenting on his work in the film
(3) a data file of each actor in 5 rows of classroom photos which when you click on each face show a head shot of their character, the character's name, a still of them in action, a photo of them on the studio lot, their blood type, skulls representing the number of friends they kill, their real name, details of their real lives, a picture of their weapon, a map of where they died, and their student ID number. This one data file makes the purchase price of this disc worth its weight in gold. I have never seen anything like this for background information on any film release, and it makes sense.
(4) a two and half minute segment of the girl giving the introduction to the game and the island
(5) 7 minutes of the orchestra and chorus performing
(6) seven commercials representing the finished film.

What a lot for 5,200 yen. Don't walk - run to C.D.Japan's website and order this masterpiece.

The only downer is NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Enjoy!

J.T.
Old 09-30-01, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll wait until those extras show up on a release with English subs. I'm sure some future international (R1?) release will have all the extras...
Old 10-07-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm certain this movie will never get a release in R1, due to the nature of the movie.
Old 10-08-01, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by RichC2
But I think i'll wait to see if it really is R0 or not (the bootleg is R0, the HK Was supposed to be R3 but as posted is apparently not). If it's R0, it's mine :-D

-Rich
It is R3 encoded. I tested the disc with DVD Genie's "Scan and Set" option.