Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I get "Versus" on DVD? (Like John Woo meets "Dead Alive")

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-01, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a Region 0 DVD of this Japanese movie going around and I'm hoping if there are any places that are selling this (preferably in the States). From what I've read, this movie is a cross between a John Woo flick, Lone Wolf and Cub, Evil Dead and Dead Alive (believe it or not!). Here's the amazing trailer for the flick (20 megs!):

http://video.ibm.co.jp/trailers/trai...versus15m.html

Thanks!
Old 09-22-01, 09:08 AM

sinyster

Nobody stateside that I've found has VERSUS for sale on DVD. Your best bet would probably be watching for it to show up on eBay. I got a vhs dub of it and your description is very accurate. Everything you've heard about VERSUS is true!
Some Japanese DVDs are notoriously difficult to acquire. And when you do, you'll pay an avarage of $40 or so for each one..
Old 09-22-01, 04:14 PM
Cool New Member

I ordered a copy of the DVD from Adrenafilm. CAUTION: It is a bootleg! Video quality is VHS-like. The sound is Dolby Pro Logic. There are no extras (or even a menu, for that matter).

The film was quite interesting. It reminded me a lot of "From Dusk til Dawn". Pretty interesting storyline in the beginning that transforms into something out of left field. Action-wise, it has some descent cheoragraphy and definitely has it's share of gore!

I guess I was just expecting a different kind of movie. There were times when things got a little over the top. But, it's still worth a view. It's definitely up your alley if you like "From Dusk 'til Dawn".
Old 09-22-01, 04:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please remember....

.... that a house rule here precludes the excessive condoning of, or any apparent on-board participation in, acts of piracy/bootlegging. There is both the vexed legal side to consider and, in some cases, the fact that it may be seen as biting the hand of the etailers that feed the site through advertisement payments etc.

Whether one steps over the line depends to a great extent on the phrasing of a post. There are also legitimate areas for debate as outlined in this post from an earlier thread:
Originally posted by naughty jonny

There is piracy and there is piracy. While most is bad and morally wrong, some piracy is actually beneficial to society at large and PREVENTS things getting lost for future generations. Unfortunately, a lot of Hong Kong stuff isn't preserved in the Library of Congress and this may be the only way to save it.

The BBC, while not condoning piracy would be overjoyed with finding copied episodes of early Doctor Who episodes; similarly, I'm sure Goodies fans would like to know that some of the earlier episodes might be out there somewhere.

Because of lost or destroyed material we now no longer have full versions of Metropolis, Nosferatu, and any number of classic films - films that have now fallen into the public domain.

Note that I am not supporting or condoning piracy, just presenting an alternate viewpoint.
To avoid the need to close threads it would be helpful if members could use discrimination: being pragmatic, sometimes an email reply would be more politic than a public post.

Please note that I am interjecting at this early point to post the reminder and, I hope, to avoid the lock that becomes necessary when things take a wrong turn.

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum

Last edited by benedict; 09-22-01 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-22-01, 09:33 PM
Cool New Member

My apologies . . .

The intent was not to encourage the purchase of said disk, but rather to discourage it. There has been some debate over this disk in this and other forums, and my desire was to provide clarification.

The other aim of my post was to give my opinion of the movie in question.

The point is taken for future posts.
Old 09-22-01, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Versus

Word on the street is that Versus just recently started in theatres in Japan, of course - I could be wrong. It made it's tour around festivals and what not earlier this year - Miramax (I believe it was them at least) has picked up rights for US Distribution, however, they are currently reshooting several scene at Miramax's request. The movie will be released in Japan on DVD next Spring. Of course this is all stuff that i've heard and really don't have much to back it up with aside from getting Japanese Horror Movie buffs that got me into Versus, The Ring, and the infamous Battle Royale - and the likes of onto the board. Hopefully the US Version won't be too butchered and i'm hoping for a great transfer.

This information came from an interview with the director as relayed to me heh. Oh and yeah, this is a great movie - saw it with a few friends of mine, haven't laughed that hard well, ever. They better not cut the gore - that was half the fun right there.

"I have 500times faster reflexes than Mike Tyson!! Oh oh."

-Rich

Last edited by RichC2; 09-22-01 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-23-01, 03:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by braintez
There has been some debate over this disk in this and other forums, and my desire was to provide clarification.
The other aim of my post was to give my opinion of the movie in question.
</small> That is more or less what I thought. My follow-up was to avoid further discussion going off the rails as sometimes happens....

<small>An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!</small>