Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MGM announces Complete James Bond tin box in Region 2

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note to moderators: I realize that news from other regions often goes in the International forum. I'm posting this here because I expect that this would (a) interest people in R1 and (b) likely develop into a discussion about MGM's plans for a Region 1 re-release (do we get the cool tin box or not)?

In November, MGM will be releasing all 19 of the "official" James Bond films in a neat-o tin box:

Full details and additional pictures: http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=2724

Any news of plans to do something similar in Region 1? Obviously MGM has some sort of big re-release plans to coincide with the theatrical release of Bond 20. There has been speculation for a while as to what they would possibly do (since the most recent, but now out-of-print, special editions were pretty awesome). I have a feeling this is what we'll be seeing in the states around Summer '02 -- the same DVDs repackaged in this cool box.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That tin/box is SWEET!! I dont want to buy them again though. I have all three of the SE box sets.
Old 09-17-01, 01:38 PM

Well there's no way I'm going to buy all of them again just for a tin box. I would however repurchase all 19 films if they improved the soundtracks. They could make the mono tracks DD 5.1 and the Brosnan titles DTS.
Old 09-17-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: MGM announces Complete James Bond tin box in Region 2

Originally posted by bboisvert
Note to moderators: I realize that news from other regions often goes in the International forum. I'm posting this here because I expect that this would (a) interest people in R1 and (b) likely develop into a discussion about MGM's plans for a Region 1 re-release (do we get the cool tin box or not)?

In November, MGM will be releasing all 19 of the "official" James Bond films in a neat-o tin box:

Full details and additional pictures: http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=2724

Any news of plans to do something similar in Region 1? Obviously MGM has some sort of big re-release plans to coincide with the theatrical release of Bond 20. There has been speculation for a while as to what they would possibly do (since the most recent, but now out-of-print, special editions were pretty awesome). I have a feeling this is what we'll be seeing in the states around Summer '02 -- the same DVDs repackaged in this cool box.

Any thoughts?
OK, The tin is definately awesome but there's no way I'm re-buying all these for it! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-17-01, 02:01 PM
Cool New Member

Okay, okay... I admit I was tempted there for a minute and I then I thought -- What's cooler? The tin box or the movies themselves?

If I didn't already have them though....

sigh
Old 09-17-01, 02:15 PM

The set is is cool but im not buying them again. An alternative to this metal set is the custom box made by Paul Champagne. It has space for Never Say Never Again, The Fox Lorber Documentary and the upcoming Bond movie. For $50 you cant go wrong.
http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/
Old 09-17-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
His boxes are really nice. I have one for the Samurai Trilogy and it looks really cool.
Old 09-17-01, 02:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Just the other day, I was thinking to myself what I'd do if MGM re-released all the Bonds. My answer, was nothing. Although the tin is cool, I'd stick with the original 3 box sets since I already have them.
Old 09-17-01, 02:47 PM

I would admit the Tin is cool, but think about the list on that Tin, I bet even with a good sicount would be about $20 per disc, which would be almost $400.00 for the complete set. Too expensive upgrade, when I do have all 3 Special Edition volumes.

On the otherhand, for those Bond fans that joined the DVD hobby at a late date, after the Bond titles have been pulled, I am sure they will do something like this on a re-release so you will be able to enjoy something like this, but I am kind of greatful that I didn't have to plop down $400 at one time, rather than $80 3 times, with 4 months between each payment.

Later
Old 09-17-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not sell the older editions and get the tin? People on ebay often pay close to retail price for used DVDs in mint condition.
Old 09-17-01, 03:20 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice tin. What's next? Gold plated titanium case in 2003?
Old 09-17-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks cool, but since this seems to be a UK box set, will some of the films be cut? AFAIK, GoldenEye has always been cut on video in the UK...
Old 09-17-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

heh... I kid.

Actually, since I don't own the box sets, I might at well spring for that one when it hits the US. Kick ass tin, too.
Old 09-17-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A simple hint: Never buy expensive "complete" boxsets for series that are still ongoing...

Reminds me of all the Star Trek video collector's boxes--they offered a whole new boxset after each movie, which became instantly obsolete after the next movie...

Last edited by adamblast; 09-25-01 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-17-01, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A bit off topic, but I wonder if the street value for the OOP Bond sets will appreciate? Also...some of the most collectible merchandise in the world are mistakes...I wonder if the MGM subtitle-less editions and such will also be worth more in the future.

Hmmm...

Oh...the tin is cool! Looks better than my three cardboard boxes anyday...
Old 09-18-01, 03:29 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I own all the Bond movies (including Never Say Never again) and I wouldn't spend the money for the tin. I agree that it would be cool, but I just don't see the point in buying it once you already have the movies, unless they offer something on these discs that the originals don't already have (which they are pretty feature packed as is).

It is cool though.
Old 09-18-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have all 3 sets and the Never Say Never Again DVD. I think the tin is AWESOME, but I'll pass, even if they do include "new and improved" special features.

Of course if it's announced, I'll probably have to get it anyway.... no, no..... I... can't....stop.....buying......dvds
Old 09-18-01, 03:22 PM

An alternative to this metal set is the custom box made by Paul Champagne. It has space for Never Say Never Again, The Fox Lorber Documentary and the upcoming Bond movie. For $50 you cant go wrong.
Is the custom box by Mr. Champagne licensed and authorized by MGM or Danjaq? And if not, is Mr. Champagne giving a cut of his profits to [email protected] since he obviously appropriated Zinema's specifically cropped and recomposed mugshot spine art? I only ask this because Zinema made his custom covers available to everyone for FREE.

Just curious.
Old 09-18-01, 07:24 PM

I remember reading a while back that MGM had inked a deal with Corgi to produce exclusive miniature Corgi Bond cars that were going to be included with the USA re-release of the films. So, I'm guessing that's what Region 1 will see.

-Zutton
Old 09-18-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
A simple hint: Never buy expensive "complete" boxsets for series that are still ongoing...

Reminds me of all the Star Wars video collector's boxes--they offered a whole new boxset after each movie, which became instantly obsolete after the next movie...
You must mean Star Trek.

Star Wars release on video took forever. You gotta remember they re-released Star Wars in theaters four times before releasing it to VHS in June 1982, less than year before Return of the Jedi, and soon before the second (!!) theatrical release of Empire.

No box sets existed til the gap between Return and Phantom.

-Beebs
Old 10-09-01, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

Now available for pre-order on Amazon (UK):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...145484-5575009

Mark B
Old 10-11-01, 10:45 AM
Cool New Member

BOND DVD R1 Reissues...

Unless they included deleted scenes and commentary by Connery, Moore, etc. MGM won't be getting my money again when they reissue the R1 DVDs! Those digitally remastered SEs from a few years back are great! How much more do you really need... and I love the Bond flicks, so that's saying a lot!

There comes a point, when new flashy packaging, tin display cases, and re-re-re-mastering doesn't mean jacks**t. I'd rather use that cash to buy DVDs I don't already have!

That's my opinion anyway...

Dave

P.S. I doubt commentary would EVER happen, because when Criterion did the Bond movies (on LD) they couldn't even get Connery, Moore, etc.
Old 10-05-02, 04:47 PM

Bond is back!

Didn't see anyone mention it yet, but it seems that the great big Bond box will be back on sale in early November. All 19 films plus a bonus 20th disc.

Here's all the pertinent information at the R2 Project

Patrick
Old 10-06-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: BOND DVD R1 Reissues...

Originally posted by tunesfreak
Unless they included deleted scenes and commentary by Connery, Moore, etc. MGM won't be getting my money again when they reissue the R1 DVDs! Those digitally remastered SEs from a few years back are great!
I’ll be picking up the R2 set having sold the three R1 boxes for $800 at the height of the OOP madness on EBay. Glad I waited after selling as this tin box was originally £300 and can now be found for just over half that.
Old 10-08-02, 08:52 AM

wooohooo, yeah glad I waited too, they got it @ amazon.co.uk for 160

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.