Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My Review: Candyman: Farewell To The Flesh

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Studio: MGM
Title: Candyman: Farewell To The Flesh
DVD Type: Single Sided Single Layered
Time Span Film: 1hr 31mins
OAR: 1.85.1 Anamorphic Widescreen
DVD Sound Encoding: English Dolby Digital 2.0, French Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: French, Spanish
Features: Original Trailer, Audio Commentary By Director Bill Condon

Other?: No insert inside keepcase, this is MGM budget line, Movie was made in 1995

My Review

I'm a huge fan of the Horror genre, and Candyman was one movie that I totally loved and adored. Then I heard a sequel was made, and here I am reviewing it. The similarities are stricking between Candyman 1&2. What I love is that the sequel catches the exact same atmosphere of Candyman I (which was released by Columbia Tri Star)! The music, the style, it's the same strong resemblance what Halloween II is to part I.

I liked Candyman II very much, but if I had to compare between which one was better, the sequel or the first one, which is something I really hate doing because in my world, it's one continous long story, I would have to say that part I is of better quality overall in horror, special effects, etc. But then again, which sequels are actually better than their predecessor? Not much out there to be honest.

I don't want to give anything away, but this review is mostly a thumbsup review. As far as plot etc, that is something I won't discuss to full detail. Virginia Madsen, the chick that starred in part I, is not the hero of this sequel, but this new chick (Kelly Rowan) did a fantastic job. Candyman I and II are quite the gruesome, blood bath type, shred human meat into pieces type of a movie. So if that is your bag, it's worth a viewing.

The history and life of Candyman is rather sad, and I found myself rooting everytime he killed somebody. To describe Candyman in quick detail, it's a slasher type individual that appears in your presence, if you call his name (Candyman) 5 times on front of a mirror. He's missing one hand, which is replaced with a sharp hook. Cheesy? Not at all. This is good well done quality horror filming in my book. I seen other flicks that were costly more to make with fine eye candy special effects, and plummeted like a 75mph pigeon poop, making a Nissan car landing. Total crap.

My Thoughts On DVD Image Quality?

The quality of this DVD can be described as somewhat dark. On top of that, I noticed the image itself is not too pristine. If I were to come up with a word to describe the entire picture, I will come up with the word "saturated". Skin is kinda dark orange, red is darker, etc. The image is nothing to shout about, but it's very easy to swallow. I was into the movie itself, and in all actuality, I wasn't paying attention to such nonsense. Also, the image is anamorphically enhance, and since I am reviewing this title on 27" RCA TV set, I'm positive the image scores a greater rating in my review/opinion.

The Sound Of The DVD?

It's kinda cool, in Candyman I, you hear Candyman's deep echo voice through all speakers and the same is heard in this sequel. Just like part I though, there isn't too much surround sound activity. The sound is not 5.1 Dolby Digital, but that doesn't mean I was disappointed. Audio is clean on the fronts, and center dialogue is clean also. Rears are, mostly quiet. This movie is not heavy on explosions etc, so don't expect LFE (Bass) action.

Parting Thoughts

I am a picky movie buff in terms of plot though, and I really don't like reviewing crappy movies. So when you see a review from Sonic, that means it's a movie he mostly enjoyed. If you loved Candyman I, then Candyman II fits in very well back to back. I heard there is a part III, so I gotta check that out cause I am a Candyman fan. These types of movies in my opinion should be catergorized in the "Romance" department and not the "Horror" genre. Why? Because these types of flicks is what causes your love one to grasp you and hold you until the end credits roll. Get it? And that's a good thing. This title also is almost a barebones meaning not heavy on extras. It sports a fine commentary though, and it's Theaterical Trailer, in my opinion, those are important elements for "extras" fans. Well, that is all I have to say, Sonic over and out.

-Sonic

Last edited by Sonic; 09-06-01 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-07-01, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also root for Candyman whenever he strikes!