Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How is DDD with Limited Editions?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-01, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've preordered Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie LE from DDD.

The limited run is supposed to be 10,000 copies, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a copy at a B&M within the first week or so, but since I used the free shipping option, I have no idea if the package with the disc will, in fact, show up within a week of release (or two... or three).

So, I'm asking: How's DDD at filling preorders for limited editions? Anyone ever not get one?

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 08-31-01 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-31-01, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered Maniac and The Wicker Man (both LE) from them the day before they were released and didn't have any problems getting them. I opted for the priority mail upgrade since these special cases (especially the tins) can get banged up pretty bad if they have to shuffle through the mail system too long. It probably wouldn't have mattered, since I got the order in only a few days (It usually takes around a week for the free Media Mail shipping), and it was very well packaged. It was still worth it to me though, since I got it a lot quicker and the cost was only 3.95 no matter how much you order. Considering the weight of those two Limited editions (and several other items in the same order), I definately got my money's worth by upgrading the shipping.

On the other hand, if you pre-order far enough ahead and request free shipping, DDD usually ships early enough so that you receive the order by the street date, if not before. Of course, this is all depends upon when they actually get the item in stock, so it's always going to be hit and miss.

I do remember seeing a post here where someone didn't get their copy of the Wicker Man LE From DDD, but instead got an email saying that it had been discontinued. However, I do think (and I may be wrong) that this order wasn't a pre-order but was placed after the title had been released. So the problem there may have been that the order was placed after DDD's limited stock of this title had been depleted.

In answer to your question, given my experience and having read the experiences of others, you should have no problem getting the order the week of release, even with the free shipping - as long as you place the order far enough in advance.

Hope this helps,

Roy.
Old 08-31-01, 10:09 AM
HC

uummmm, right now I'd pass up on that free shipping.....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=138002

it's taking pretty long right now.

oh Roy28, is the packaging different if your using Media Mail than their Priority Mail? Does DDD take extra special care with their paid shipping than the free??? I might have to pass up on free shipping and just order a lot of DVDs to compinsate for the paid shipping for now on.
Old 08-31-01, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HC
oh Roy28, is the packaging different if your using Media Mail than their Priority Mail? Does DDD take extra special care with their paid shipping than the free??? I might have to pass up on free shipping and just order a lot of DVDs to compinsate for the paid shipping for now on.
That's hard to say. The large order that I placed was for the two Big LE's, a Double disc set and 2 regular dvds. They were packed in a really big box with packing material all around and in between the discs. Since then I've placed a couple of small one-piece orders and opted for the free shipping, and the packaging was about what you would get from anywhere else. They were put into a box a little larger than the dvd (about the size of a priority mail video mailer) with a piece of crumpled packing material to keep it from banging around - not fantastic, but at least they don't ship in a padded envelope like some stores do.

However, if you order a lot of titles at once with free shipping, they pretty much have to put them in a big box - there really is no alternative, other than shipping them seperately, which would make not make much sense. Then again, if ordering several titles at once, it makes more sense to go for the Priority Mail shipping anyway, since it's only 3.95 no matter how much you order.

As for the shipping time, Media mail can take a while sometimes. It probably depends on where you live. I'm in Georgia and the few free Media mail orders I've placed with DDD have taken about a week to get here (I think they came from IL?). I placed them on a weekend and they arrived the next Saturday. However, I've had half.com orders shipped media mail from the west coast that took as long as 2 weeks.

I agree with you - for me it makes more sense to place a large order and upgrade the shipping, which is what I will probably do from now on. However, unless I run into any problems with it, I will probably still use the free shipping for the occasional stray title or for cheapo items (like the $9.36 MGM titles), unless I happen to be placing an order for other items around the same time.
Old 08-31-01, 05:09 PM
HC

Thanks for the description. I ordered a Maniac Tin.........I just hope nothing happens......
Old 09-01-01, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all your help. I'm much less paranoid now!

I figure a two month lead time is probably far enough in advance to be a safe buffer, so...