Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

just got Brain Dead (Red Edition) in the mail today and .....

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-31-01, 12:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Like every DVD that comes across the big pond it isnt in plastic, but what really befuddled me is that the actual DVD has the alternate title "Dead Alive" and instead of "Red Edition" it says "Blood edition"? uh..... why is it like this? This isnt a bootleg is it?
Old 08-31-01, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like every DVD that comes across the big pond (which 'big pond? the Atlantic? the Pacific?) it isnt in plastic (? HUH ?... you mean it came wrapped in cardboard? wax paper? denim?), but what really befuddled me is that the actual DVD (...ahh... Label?... provenance?) has the alternate title "Dead Alive" and instead of "Red Edition" it says "Blood edition"? uh..... why is it like this? This isnt a bootleg is it? ...frankly, my dear, I haven't the foggiest...

. . . . . .
Old 08-31-01, 08:07 AM

There are actually 2 versions of the German Braindead DVD. There's the Braindead Red Edition...

...and the Dead Alive Blood Edition...

Both are from Laser Paradise and the only difference I can find is that the Blood Edition is R2 while the newer Red Edition is all region. They're both supposed to be uncut and have the same extras/audio/video properties. I just received the new Spanish DVD (which is also uncut) but it's poor quality video so stick to the German versions.

BTW, these images are from www.splatterhouse.net.
Old 08-31-01, 08:48 AM

Thanks Carnifern, that explains everything. It looks like they somehow combined the Dead Alive disc with the original Red Edition packaging.
Old 08-31-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what store did you order this from? I'm thinking of getting it and Dellamorte Dellamore
Old 08-31-01, 09:44 AM

www.diabolikdvd.com has both the Dellamorte Dellamore Red Edition and the Braindead Red Edition. They're in Southern New Jersey (just outside Philly) and I've ordered from them before. Very responsive and quick shipping and they just started taking credit cards.
Old 08-31-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
Like every DVD that comes across the big pond (which 'big pond? the Atlantic? the Pacific?) it isnt in plastic (? HUH ?... you mean it came wrapped in cardboard? wax paper? denim?), but what really befuddled me is that the actual DVD (...ahh... Label?... provenance?) has the alternate title "Dead Alive" and instead of "Red Edition" it says "Blood edition"? uh..... why is it like this? This isnt a bootleg is it? ...frankly, my dear, I haven't the foggiest...

. . . . . .
Why bother replying to the guy's question then? Just to cause trouble? carnifern was able to clear things up pretty easily.
Old 08-31-01, 12:54 PM

Same here Diabolik sent the disc real fast. That company is going to make me poor...all those cool discs that I want to add to my collection.
Old 08-31-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

carnifern: ...it's just that I dislike totally unclearly formulated (to me - so I'm dumb) questions... "Giles" never mentioned which big pond, nor, by the way, did he explain what he meant by "...it isn't in plastic..." (and I still don't know what that could possibly mean - so, yes, you may call me dumb)... but, then, I am only too aware that this particular site is a sort of cozy club for bloodthirsty geeks who delight in going to all sorts of trouble and expense just to get that one particular, very special, incredibly hard-to-find, utterly rare version of movie XXXXXX that is really, and I do mean really uncut, that includes all the gore, yes, even down to that 2 seconds of brains eaten out of the still living skull, or the 3,5 seconds showing the guy's steaming guts falling to the floor, or the 1 1/8th second of the girl's two eyes being gouged out with silver forks, or...

. . . . . .
Old 08-31-01, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
carnifern: ...it's just that I dislike totally unclearly formulated (to me - so I'm dumb) questions... "Giles" never mentioned which big pond, nor, by the way, did he explain what he meant by "...it isn't in plastic..." (and I still don't know what that could possibly mean - so, yes, you may call me dumb)... but, then, I am only too aware that this particular site is a sort of cozy club for bloodthirsty geeks who delight in going to all sorts of trouble and expense just to get that one particular, very special, incredibly hard-to-find, utterly rare version of movie XXXXXX that is really, and I do mean really uncut, that includes all the gore, yes, even down to that 2 seconds of brains eaten out of the still living skull, or the 3,5 seconds showing the guy's steaming guts falling to the floor, or the 1 1/8th second of the girl's two eyes being gouged out with silver forks, or...

. . . . . .
Whoa, Hendrik! Slow down! I didn't post these comments. I provided the info and that was all. I don't want to get caught in the middle of anything here.
Old 08-31-01, 07:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

<SMALL>
Originally posted by carnifern I provided the info and that was all. I don't want to get caught in the middle of anything here.
</SMALL>

Thank you, carnifern, for answering the original question.

Perhaps someone else might care to start a new "meta" thread (about posting/rhetorical styles) either in the Other Forum or Feedback?

<small>Thread re-opened after 12-hour "cooling-off" period to allow any further additions.</small>

Last edited by benedict; 09-01-01 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-01-01, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As far as I know, the info posted here is not true. The Dead Alive: Blood Edition version is the better one because it has a better (albeit still non-anamorphic) transfer than the "Red Edition".

The "Red Edition" discs are no longer available, having been replaced with the better "Blood Edition" discs. Strangely, though, the cover art hasn't been changed, and apparently all "Blood Edition" DVDs of Braindead still have the "Red Edition" cover.

Hope this clears things up.

ADDED: I read that the English DD 2.0 soundtrack is not good at all - apparently, it sounds like mono. Many have said that some VHS releases of the film (e.g. the UK release) had better audio.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 09-01-01 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-01-01, 07:13 AM

How many minutes are cut from the US version of Dead Alive compared with the German versions?

Does anyone know what scenes were cut?
Old 09-01-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by hongkongdvd
How many minutes are cut from the US version of Dead Alive compared with the German versions?

Does anyone know what scenes were cut?
***From imdb:

Braindead opens with a closeup of the New Zealand flag, which then changes to the Queen riding accross a courtyard, finishing with a close up her on horseback. God Save The Queen is playing in the background. The opening sequence in Sumatra that begins Dead Alive follows.

At the mother's funeral, uncle Les is seen walking down the church isle and sits down behind Paquita. A conversation in which Les tries to hit on Paquita follows, which is unsuccessful. Piquita then stands up and sits away from Les.

After Lionel agrees to let Les have the money and the house, we see the music for the party get turned on and Void breaking free from his bonds. In Braindead a party guest lets Void out of the basement, and for his trouble gets headbutted.

During the party Void enters the living room and attacks a guest. Lionel intervenes by hitting Void around the head with a Jack Daniels bottle and then pours the contents down Voids throat.

After the Zombies have been let out of the basement, there is a short sequence where a guest with glasses is chased around a room by 2 zombies before he is finally caught and bitten. (In Dead Alive you can see the very end of this sequence just before the camera switches to Paquita stabbing a bag of tomatoes in the airing cupboard.)

After Lionel has bitten through the intestine and falls onto a zomies head, in Dead Alive we move onto Les killing zombie by "rolling" it to death in a clothes press. In Braindead Lionel is confronted by the vicar & nurse zombies who impail each other on a pitch fork and continue to have sex.

In Braindead there is approximately 16 seconds of extra gore in the lawnmower sequence where we see Lionel hack up numerous zombies, see the demise of the vicar and the nurse (whilst still in the middle of making love) and see Lional kicking body parts towards Paquita to be put into the food mixer.

Braindead also contains the following scene missing from both versions of Dead Alive:

Just before Lionel makes his entrance with the lawnmower, Paquita and friend (the one with glasses) are attacked by Voids legs (cut off in the bathroom scene) and a horde of zombies. Paquita and the girl grab a leg each and rip them apart. They then use these limbs to attack any zombie that comes near them.

In the original New Zealand release when the zombie baby first apears it attacks Lionel but is unsuccesful as its umbilical cord gets caught up on a nail. This scene is not present in the unrated american version.

***The unrated US (Dead Alive) version is 97 mins. The full uncut Braindead version is 104 mins.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 09-01-01 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-15-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

could someone recommend me a reliable online site that i could get this from ?

thanks very much
Old 03-15-02, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by InnocentBlood
could someone recommend me a reliable online site that i could get this from ?

thanks very much
This was already answered in carnifern's post above:

"www.diabolikdvd.com has both the Dellamorte Dellamore Red Edition and the Braindead Red Edition."
Old 03-16-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I highly recommend NOT using diabolik DVD. If you do, make sure (i.e. e-mail) that what you want to order is definitely in stock because they charge you immediately. I made the mistake of not doing that and after I made my order the DVD that I wanted (VERSUS) disappeared from their web-site altogether and my e-mails (3 total) went unanswered. I had to call my credit card company to get my money back. Only after I did that did they e-mail me asking what the problem was......of course YMMV.

I will admit that this was late last year and Versus is once again available so maybe they got their act together. Sure.

Last edited by dablueguy; 03-16-02 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-11-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recommend this website:
http://www.lfvw.com/news.htm

I have had good experiences with them.
I just placed my first order with diabolikdvd today so cannot comment on them.
Old 04-14-02, 05:05 PM

On the subject of retailers, keep in mind that both Luminous Filmworks (lfvw) and Diabolik are small companies run by just a few people. While they both have good reputations overall, every now and then someone will have a bad experience with them, and those people tend to be the most vocal on forums. I have made numerous purchases from Diabolik, including Braindead Red, Dellamorte Red, Zombie (Italian-Shock), Wild Zero, and Dead and Buried. The one time they made an error, in shipping me a wrong disc, it was quickly exchanged with no hassles. Just my 2 cents.