Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrrghh - Wicker Man LE at Best Buy!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-01, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I stop by on Monday of this week to see if they have the Wicker man LE. They have the regular version but not the LE, and the computer shows it won't be in until Sept. 8th. Oh well.
So on the way home, I stop by Borders since I have $10 in GC to use, and they have it for $32 (ouch). Well, with the Akira tin debaucle fresh in my mind I go ahead and buy it, open it and check out some of the cool stuff on it.

Next day, I stop by BB again to pick up some new releases. Lo and behold, the Wicker man LE is on the shelf and is only $24. Arrrrgghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

So, my question is (ethics aside), is there anything to prevent me from buying the set at BB, then returning it with the receipt at Borders? Is there anything in the UPC code that will indicate this was not originally stock at the Store? Normally I wouldn't bother, but this is $8 wasted that could have been used on something else!!!
Old 08-29-01, 10:51 AM

I see no reason why you couldn't get away with it, unless there is some sort of unique price tag on either the one from BB or Borders. Don't worry about ethics, it is just a faceless organization with deep pockets. Screw the man!
Old 08-29-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't do that... and I also don't think it is unethical.

You bought an item at Borders and are returning the EXACT SAME item in sealed condition. Borders can put it right back out on the shelf and sell it to someone else. No one is losing in this situation.
Old 08-31-01, 02:07 PM
Suspended

I can't see why this would be a problem (assuming you take off the Best Buy price sticker before you bring it back to Borders).

Thanks for the tip on Best Buy selling the LE for $24.99. Most of the other retailers in my area do not have it. I did see some copies at my local Borders for $32.99. I also thought that was a pretty steep price but was considering it anyway. I called my local Best Buy yesterday and asked if they had it. I was told by the perky young clerk that they did not have it. I went there today to look around and found 3 copies of the LE and 1 copy of the standard edition. Needless to say, I snagged a copy of the LE. Great price-as good or better than any of the on-line prices. Their website, by the way, lists it for $34.99...strange.