Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Request: Clerks Uncencored (Animated)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Request: Clerks Uncencored (Animated)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clerks Uncencored (Animated) reviews?

I'm a big Kevin Smith fan. How are these DVD's? I always missed this show when it was originally on TV.

Jay
Old 08-28-01, 10:25 PM

I found the technical aspects of the DVDs to be quite good (but, it's a TV show, so nothing terribly spectacular). Didn't notice any real transfer problems, which was nice.

The show is very episodic (no ongoing plot-arcs here), but there are some nice running gags that'll be spoiled (or at least make no sense) if you watch the show out of order.

The episodes are pretty good, with a few bordering on great (episode 5 is brilliant). The show has a definite 'cartoon-y' tone, and most of the characters are more exaggerated versions of their former selves. So, the finished cartoon carries very little resemblence to the movie.

That said, if you're a Smith fan, you'll probably enjoy it. Lots of pop-culture references, and episode 6 really doesn't work as well if you haven't seen Clerks. In the end, I found the series itself to be pretty good for the first season of a TV show. It's too bad that seems to be all we're ever going to get.

(I managed to catch both episodes on ABC--it was rather nice to see the Flintstone's List clip restored in the DVD)

Extras:

If you've heard a Smith commentary, you pretty much know what to expect. They do occasionally fall into the trap of sitting there and giving shout-outs to people, but there's a lot of information that comes across in the commentary. They do address the shows history with ABC, and discuss regrets and plots they had planned for the future. Plus, there's just some hilarious stuff regarding the problems they had with the Korean animation studio.

The animatics aren't really something I see myself watching all the way through, but it is occasionally interesting to flip between animation and storyboarding, to see how original ideas evolved (some of the changed concepts are discussed in the commentary, so it's nice to be able to finally see them).

The two short featurettes actually feature a decent amount of information, and they're enough nice to watch once, but not award-winning documentaries or anything.

The SuperBowl spot is pretty dull, but nice to have for the sake of completeness; the fillm festival trailer is much better, but it is still just a commercial.

The episode intros are fairly entertaining, but I tend to skip them after the first viewing.

All in all, if you're a Smith fan, there's every reason to pick up this set (Or, at least, try to find it for rent). Considering the short life of the show, the DVD is pretty darned impressive.
Old 08-28-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may not be a jam packed 2 discs by some standards but it is certainly worth the money.

The review above is pretty darn good. The commentary is the best parrt by far. They vent their anger pretty poorly but it's great.

If you like everything else he has done then buy it and enjoy.
Old 08-29-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another

I picked this up cheap and wasn't expecting much, as the series was cancelled so quickly. But, it is actually pretty funny and a couple of episodes do border on being brilliant. My fave is Episode #2.

I'm only halfway through the commentary, and I'm finding it to be a very interesting post-martem on why the show was pulled so quickly. Unfortunately, though, some may be disappointed that the commentary is less amusing than usual for Smith.

In all, though, a nice surprise. Pick it up.
Old 08-29-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The episodes keep getting better with multiple viewings. Every episode is very good. #3 and #4 are two of my favorites. Episode for episode it is one of the best animated shows ever. I wonder if they could have kept up the level of humor.
Old 09-02-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Clerks Uncencored (Animated) reviews?

Originally posted by schlitz100
I always missed this show when it was originally on TV.
It was hard to not miss, being canceled after two shows.
Old 09-03-01, 11:24 AM
Suspended

If you like Kevin Smith's stuff, you should definately pick this up, it shows the beginings of what could have been a great TV show, if only ABC wasn't loaded with clueless old people.

Watch all the episodes in order too.. but my favorite one is "Big American Party"
Old 09-05-01, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I thought it was a great series, and as with all Kevin Smith titles (except first Dogma) packed with cool extras. I'm waiting for the Clerks Animated Movie. I heard there was going to be one, but no time to check www.viewaskew.com .
Old 09-05-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Oh god! Bear is driving"
Old 09-07-01, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh we got a special delivery alright..

A SPECIAL DELIVERY OF PAIN!!!
Old 09-07-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Clerks Uncencored (Animated) reviews?

Originally posted by evenswr

It was hard to not miss, being canceled after two shows.
which two episodes did they show on tv?
I just watched the dvd this past week and wasn't sure...I remember ep. 4 was one of them though.......
Old 09-07-01, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Episode 2 was the other.
spoiler:
Spoiler:
Considering the whole joke of the episode was that it was a flashback episode in a series that only had one previous episode, it was lost since they never showed the first episode at all
Old 09-11-01, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by TheCLovur
"Oh god! Bear is driving"
How can this beeee?!?!?
Old 09-12-01, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
They showed episode 4, then 2....Make NO sense, hehe.

I LOVE CLERKS!

My GF and I watch this EVERY time she comes over.
Old 09-14-01, 09:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It is a great DVD set to have. I've watched ep. 4 half a dozen times now. Simply hilarious.
Old 09-17-01, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Worst. Episode. Ever.

Ok maybe not the worst, but pretty bad in my opinion. (The content, that is). The video and audio quality were good. I didn't look into the extras, since it went onto half.com as soon as I was done watching the last episode.