International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Bollywood

Old 08-27-01, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bollywood

Can anyone recommend Indian films available on DVD to a novice?
Old 08-27-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are just a few recommendations.

Fire : (English language) - Good for a gentle introduction to Indian culture. NOT a typical Bollywood movie.
Kaho Na Pyar Hai : Typical action-oriented bollywood musical. Available as a two-disc anamorphic DVD. Good production quality.
Dil To Pagal Hai : Musical drama with a love triangle. Good production quality.
Bombay: Musical love-story based on the racial tensions in India.
Hey Ram: Another serious drama based on the racial tensions during the Indian Independence.

One should realize that the Indian movie industry is one of most prolific in the world and there are several hundred new movies that are released every year.

Most of these are based on the same 'formula' and if you've seen one .. you've seen them all. But there are some gems that are released once in a while. Rent the movies if you can and watch www.zulm.net for previews/reviews, before making any purchases.
Old 08-27-01, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOW. What a site. There's an Indian Deli near me that rents DVDs and they look to have a few hundred.

Anyway, one ol' Indian flick that's getting attention again because of the film Ghost World is Gumnaam. "Jan Pehechaan Ho" is on the soundtrack and there are clips from the movie's musical sequence in Ghost World, although I don't know how Gumnaam ranks in Bollywood...it's got Mohammed Rafi, who was a big star as I understand it, but that probably means he was in a few thousand different movies.

"Namaste America" is a fun show to watch if it comes on in your town.
Old 08-27-01, 05:54 PM

I have rented a couple of Hindi dvd's from Netflix and they never have subtitled music. Is this normally the case? It seemed kind of weird to me because being a musical the songs seemed to tell much of the story (that I thought I might be missing).
Old 08-27-01, 06:46 PM

Bandit Queen is a must. This is the true story of Phoolan Devi (just recently assassinated in Delhi) and has often been compared to Once Were Warriors for its sheer power. It is an incredibly moving experience and I cannot recommend this film highly enough.

Also, although not yet on DVD, another film that is a must buy when it eventually does get a release is Salaam Bombay - a very raw and moving tale of the life of street kids in Bombay (Mumbai).

regards, Tim...
Old 09-05-01, 03:30 PM

DEI subtitles on the songs on most of their newer released DVDs.

zulm.net and www.cjb.net/indiandvdnewspage are great sites for Indian DVD info. IMHO, www.indiaweekly.com is the best place to buy, because of their rock-bottom pricing.