Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Monkey Miramax US Theatrical Release This Fall

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies if this is old news, but I just noticed that Iron Monkey is being released by Miramax this fall. There's even a new trailer at http://www.iron-monkey.com (required Apple Quicktime 5). Its even listed as one of the "Coming Soon" titles on http://www.miramax.com

The trailer is rather amusing with its guitar riffs and monkey sounds. Now I wonder if its going to be dubbed or subtitled... if anything I guess this means a new Iron Monkey DVD will be coming out eventually.
Old 08-24-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wow... that made me want to watch it again...

I'm sure they'll have a new dub for it with new soundtrack and new effects sounds. The print will be the cleanest it's ever been as well. Although - it looked pretty scratchy and dirty at the beginning of the trailer. I'll probably go see this anyway - just so I can see it on the big screen.
Old 08-24-01, 04:17 PM

I wonder...

I wonder just how much will be chopped? I bet it will be dubbed, and like Trigger said, it will have a clean print...what's left after the editors get done anyway.
Old 08-24-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - Knowing them, the kid's name won't be Wong Fei Hung anymore, it'll be Pokemon or something.
Old 08-24-01, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

are they going to release it everywhere in the usa like RUSH HOUR 2, or just the big cities?
Old 08-24-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wonton
are they going to release it everywhere in the usa like RUSH HOUR 2, or just the big cities?
I'm guessing it will get the same type of exposure that Black Mask or Legend of Drunken Master got... or maybe it will only get the exposure that Once Upon a Time in China got...
Old 08-24-01, 08:57 PM

Miramax apparently hopes to have a wide release, as I just saw an ad for it on the football game Fox is showing. A friend of mine talked to people who saw the new version, and it apparently had a fair amount cut,and added rap music. I can't believe they'd add rap, as this is a period film, but anything's possible with Harvey Scissorhands and his company of scumdogs.
Old 08-24-01, 11:07 PM

This is f** up. Anyone notice the picture at the website? I don't remember any sword in iron monkey nor do the people in that pic look like yu rong guang or jean wang(?).

Wonder what type of treatment shaloin soccer, zu2, gods of cookery, and king of comedy will receive....
Old 08-25-01, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

I'm guessing it will get the same type of exposure that Black Mask or Legend of Drunken Master got... or maybe it will only get the exposure that Once Upon a Time in China got...
Just as long as TPTB don't tack on a hip-hop soundtrack or chop any scenes, i may be tempted to watch it in a theater. i wonder how the DVD follow-up will be?
Old 08-25-01, 01:41 PM

I'm looking forward to this more than any other fall movie. Personally, a dubbed version will be fine with me -- I'm just happy to get to see it on a big screen! Knowing Miramax, the DVD will only have the dubbed cut and a trailer, but then again, it likely will have a pristine print, too.
Old 08-25-01, 02:11 PM

RE...

What you will be seeing is Miramax's edited version of Iron Monkey without the original music.
I am 100% sure the scene where Ms. Orchid has here flashback where the doctor says her baby is dead and he buys here out from her pimp is cut out. There are also some smaller cuts here and there.

Sorry to ruin it for everybody. Who knows what they did since they test screened it. If people thought the story was hard to follow they will have changed it. I don't know if they dubbed this in English or not. It was in Cantonese for the test audiance.

I would encourage anybody who does see this in the theater and is diappointed to write Miramax a letter, not e-mail them, write it, and express their diappointment that this movie has been advertised falsely.

There should be a disclaimer that this movie has been edited for American audiances in the beginning.

I will be putting up reviews of two Iron Monkey DVD's very shortly so that I can make sure people know the differences.
If anybody does see this in the theater. Please e-mail me and tell me if they cut out more than I had mentioned. The movie clocks in under 90 minutes as it is so I don't know how much they can cut out and still have a movie.

Vanian
http://www.loveandbullets.com
Old 08-25-01, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

is there an official website that i can check for the showing locations for IRON MONKEY?
Old 08-26-01, 11:34 AM

is there an official website that i can check for the showing locations for IRON MONKEY?
Once it opens (Sept. 14, I believe), Amazon's weekly showtimes should have it.
Old 08-26-01, 04:34 PM
Cool New Member

hey RLott. i live in oklahoma too!! i'm so excited to see that there's another oklahoman in here! do you think they will show IRON MONKEY here? btw, i live in norman. i got to the ok city almost every week to get grocery and stuff. is there a chinese entertainment store anywhere in OK?
Old 08-26-01, 05:45 PM

hey RLott. i live in oklahoma too!! i'm so excited to see that there's another oklahoman in here! do you think they will show IRON MONKEY here? btw, i live in norman. i got to the ok city almost every week to get grocery and stuff. is there a chinese entertainment store anywhere in OK?
Yes, "Iron Monkey" will open in Oklahoma City that weekend in at least one theater, probably AMC. There are Asian video rental stores along Classen Boulevard (near the 23rd St. area), but I haven't been to any myself.
Old 08-28-01, 05:42 AM

I'm really happy with the MegaStar version. I think it looks fine and has Cantonese, Mandarin, and English audio. What an awesome film.

I'm thinking the American version will have to feature Busta Rhymes somehow... maybe digitally inserted into Donnie Yen's place, since "American audiences wouldn't appreciate the original actor as much". And maybe Busta Rhymes and Shaq could do a new score. And the whole movie could be converted into a sort of Mountain Dew commercial or something. That would be cool, and they should make it pan and scan, too, and maybe have an introduction by Yan Can Cook...
Old 08-28-01, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its actually probably quite hard to get a bad DVD of Iron Monkey right now -

The Mega Star disc is probably the nicest picture I've seen on any HK disc.

The anamorphic Hong Kong Legends PAL R2 version is even better - beautifully sharp and colorful.

The usual trade-off for R1 Versions, where we get the best print, but lose:

* original language
* uncut version
* untampered with soundtrack

doesn't apply here. I can't see the HKL version being bettered visually. You can buy a good version of this film in its ORIGINAL FORM right now.

Bleddyn
Old 08-28-01, 10:39 AM

Re....

Here are my reviews of the HKL and Megastar versions.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/ironmonkey.htm

Both are very good. This is great because there will be no need for any fan of the movie to give their money to Miramax.

Vanian
Old 08-28-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is also a mainland version in Mandarin only. Anyone have that for picture comparison.

I have the Megastar and am quite pleased with it (heck it even has an English dub). You can listen to it in English and and read it in Malay.
Old 08-28-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fearing the worst from Miramax, I will probably order the HKL DVD later this week.
Old 08-28-01, 07:11 PM

I have the Megastar and am quite pleased with it (heck it even has an English dub). You can listen to it in English and and read it in Malay.
Yeah, it even has Spanish subs... not something you see on an everyday HK disc. The English dub and Spanish subs are probably heavily influenced by Tai Seng's U.S. distribution of the film. Maybe they worked with MegaStar to make it "U.S. friendly" when they struck a distribution deal.
Old 08-28-01, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by HKFlix
I'm really happy with the MegaStar version. I think it looks fine and has Cantonese, Mandarin, and English audio. What an awesome film.

I'm thinking the American version will have to feature Busta Rhymes somehow... maybe digitally inserted into Donnie Yen's place, since "American audiences wouldn't appreciate the original actor as much". And maybe Busta Rhymes and Shaq could do a new score. And the whole movie could be converted into a sort of Mountain Dew commercial or something. That would be cool, and they should make it pan and scan, too, and maybe have an introduction by Yan Can Cook...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 08-29-01, 10:50 AM

Re...

I just heard they cut 6-7 minutes from the movie. The subtitles are also totally re-done.

Please don'tgive Miramax your money by seeing this film in the theater.

Vanian
Old 08-29-01, 03:05 PM

Re: Re...

Originally posted by Vanian
I just heard they cut 6-7 minutes from the movie. The subtitles are also totally re-done. Please don'tgive Miramax your money by seeing this film in the theater.
Here Here!
Old 08-29-01, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Vanian
I just heard they cut 6-7 minutes from the movie. The subtitles are also totally re-done.

Please don'tgive Miramax your money by seeing this film in the theater.
I will be seeing this opening weekend simply for the sheer pleasure of being able to see it in the theater, cut or not. If it is subtitled like you say, that's already a lot better than a dubbing that everyone was already knocking Miramax for. I'm not a Miramax defender by any means, but I don't live in a city fortunate enough to have films of this kind hit theaters at all. If they make money on "Iron Monkey," it will encourage wider releases of more films of this type.

Granted, I'd like to see it come here uncut, but I'm glad to get to see it at all on the big screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.