Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Help - canceling a preorder at buy.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-01, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I preordered a Simpsons DVD set at Buy.com because I saw it as a "deal". I then found it much cheaper and ordered it elsewhere. I tried to cancel it, but Buy.com won't let me, citing you can not cancel preorders.
I think this is asinine. They don't even have the product yet, why can't I cancel?! Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-23-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
don't buy at buy.com

(sorry, I know that doesn't help.)
Old 08-23-01, 09:22 PM

Just resign yourself to the fact you'll just have to write return to sender on the box. You can even take a small bit of satisfaction in knowing they'll have to pay the couple dollars shipping.
Old 08-23-01, 09:24 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They only let you cancel within the three 30 minutes or so after placing your order. After that they claim the order has been forwarded to distribution center and they can't cancel.

They won't let you cancel now. You can refuse shipment when the package arrives but not sure if they will refund you of shipping though, if they still exist by that time.

My advice: shop elsewhere.
Old 08-23-01, 10:35 PM

Thanks. I complained that they hide the fact that preorders can't be canceled and suggested they fix that. They offered, as a cosolation, an appology and a promise they will refund my shipping as well as the purchase price.

But because of this I won't ever preorder there again.
Old 08-24-01, 11:16 AM

Unbelievable. In the past they DID allow cancellation of preorders, but it was always
a hairy process because they would never GUARANTEE that the cancellation would "take".
They have really gone downhill recently in my opinion. But this new policy which isn't
even stated anywhere on their website is the last straw for me. buh bye buy.

By the way, I am still waiting for them to ship a DVD (Ordinary People) which was
released on Aug 14. I sent an email asking why it was still on order, and they replied
saying "It's on it's way!". Then a week later I sent another inquiry, and their reply is
that it has "entered the shipping process, but that doesn't mean that it has shipped".
What the f*???? And now I can't even cancel the order. This is all just unacceptable.
Old 08-26-01, 10:40 PM

eviljim,
You scared me there. Last week I put in a couple cancellation requests for 2 preorders and was a little apprehensive reading your post. However, I just checked my account and the status for those titles were finally changed from "Cancellation requested" to "Cancelled." Whoever at Buy told you preorders can't be cancelled obviously didn't know what he/she talking about. Buy.com really sucks when it comes to cancelling your order because it takes too many days for them to process the requests. If your preorder is to be released a week later, chances are it would be too late.

Why can't everyone model after Amazon's sytem? It is the best!
Old 08-30-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy.com for many years has had major problems with being able to cancel. Even if they say you can, I have found you normally can't.

As one CSR told me 3 years ago, right after we get your order, it's sent to a fullfillment warehouse and we don't have a way to get it back. You are forced to return it after you get the item.

On the positive note, buy.com has gotten MUCH better at getting me my orders very quickly.
Old 08-30-01, 11:18 PM

Good Luck, even when orders are cancelled you still get them sometimes.
Old 08-31-01, 02:02 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Canceling an order at Buy.com is impossible. Last year I placed an order which ended-up being backordered for months. Eventually I canceled the order at Buy.com and ordered from somewhere else that shipped immediately. Six months after the cancellation, the Buy.com order was shipped.

So plan ahead. If you're going to cancel an order at Buy.com, you'll need to do it more than 6 months in advance.