Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MALATA sound problems

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

MALATA sound problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else have this problem with their MALATA player?

If I switch from the movie to the menu while playing a DVD it makes a loud and VERY annyoing sound, like when a CD is skipping. It does this from the silence between movie > menu and if a menu has music and it goes to a submenu without music, the skipping sound doesn't stop until music comes back on. I hope everyone can understand that description.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V800 and by hooking up a Pioneer DVD player I've figured out that it isn't my receiver that's being stupid, it's the Malata. This whole thing isn't a big deal, but it's quite annoying. I might have to call AVDeals about this. God knows they never reply to any emails.

PS - I've also tried using the optical connection and the coax and it does it on both.

Last edited by Nosebleed; 08-21-01 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-22-01, 08:18 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a Malata so I can't help you with that, what I do know is that you posted in the wrong forum: the HARDWARE forum is a better place for your question!
Old 08-22-01, 08:56 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DOn't have that problem on mine.

I think he posted it here since us HK DVD lovers are the ones buying the player.
Old 08-25-01, 05:59 AM

Had the same thing happen to me, using digital optical out to my Yamaha reciever. Go into the setup menu and change your Dolby output to PCM. As I recall, that's what worked for me. In general, just experiment with the various formats for digital output.
Old 09-05-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Malata sound output question, need HELP!

When selecting how I want to output Dolby Digital and DTS, what should I choose, between original, PCM and Orginal [sic] S/PDIF Only? If I choose original everything works OK but I get an annoying skipping sound when going from the movie to a menu, or from a menu with music to a submenu without. If I choose PCM my receiver only reads it as Dolby Pro Logic and not Digital. I've also tried the 3rd selection but just like the choosing original, I get the annoying skipping sound.

And what the heck is PCM anyways? The f*cking Malata manual is a P.O.S. and hardly goes into any detail at all.
Old 09-05-01, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"PCM" ... Pulse Code Modulation (similar to what you find on a standard Compact Disc, or on LaserDiscs with digital soundtracks) ... I think...

Many music DVDs and some movies-on-DVD as well as many operas/concerts-on-DVD feature PCM soundtracks.

From the "DVD Demystified" site: "DVD includes the option of PCM (pulse code modulation) digital audio with sampling sizes and rates higher than audio CD."

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-05-01 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-05-01, 09:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If your receiver does DD5.1, then pick the 5.1 option. Pick S/PDIF ONLY and then in the EXPERT menu, pick DTS. Yes, DTS. That turns on the pass-through for 5.1 signals.
Old 09-05-01, 09:13 PM

You get only ProLogic when you choose PCM because it's a plain stereo signal. DVD players offer the feature to downmix digital surround tracks to stereo, which I use to record soundtracks on MiniDisc.
As for the skippig sound: when the type of the signal changes (and it does when you switch between menus because it gets interrupted for a short time so that the receiver doesn't recognize it as digital surround and switches to PCM) the receiver should mute the signal in some way. Have you had the problem with other players as well or just with the Malata?
Old 09-05-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Yamaha RX-V800 and it decodes DD 5.1 and DTS and supports DD EX and DTS ES.

I've tried another DVD player (Pioneer DV-414) and did not have this problem. If I use PCM I do not get the problem. If I pick the other 2 options I get this problem. The skipping sound really isn't that big of a deal, but it's rather annoying. If I go from a menu with sound to a submenu without sound the skipping sound won't stop until more sound comes on.
Old 09-05-01, 10:23 PM

I have the same problem & have found that its due to my older Denon receiver that's hooked up to the Malata. It's relay switch (from what I've read) is slow & causes this noise as do some other older receivers. I guarantee that if you hook up the player straight to your tv, you won't hear this problem.
Old 09-05-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have component output going straight into my TV, is that what you meant?
Old 09-06-01, 10:35 PM

No not the video signal, but rather the audio signal. Just use some simple red/white cables the Malata came with & hook it into the tv. You won't hear this problem which means your receiver is not working properly in conjunction with the Malata//
Old 09-06-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, I'll give that a try later. So what you're saying is that there's no problem with my receiver and there's not one with the DVD player, they just don't like each other? It's something I can live with.