Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Help! Need list of good DVD retailers in L.A. area!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'll be going to L.A. next month and I'm interested in checking out some good DVD retailers in the area of Century City, Santa Monica, L.A., etc. I'll be staying in Century City if that helps!! Thanks in advance!!

Steve

www.thelatestdvd.com
Old 08-20-01, 01:59 PM

Well, it's about a 1/2 or so drive (in good traffic) to Orange County where Dvdplanet http://www.dvdplanet.com is located on Beach Blvd in Westminster. They have 25% off all thier DVD's and a large selection.

(Franchot, thanks for noticing I had the street/city reversed)

Last edited by jimbo; 08-28-01 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-23-01, 08:12 AM

Warning!

Jimbo is a known DVDplanet (aka Ken Crane) shill. Lured by cheap wine and Krispy Kreme donuts, and probably other unmentionable back room antics.
Old 08-23-01, 09:04 AM

Re: Warning!

Originally posted by msharkm
Jimbo is a known DVDplanet (aka Ken Crane) shill. Lured by cheap wine and Krispy Kreme donuts, and probably other unmentionable back room antics.
I do like the store, people, and donuts and am not much of wine drinker.

Before slamming them, have you ever ordered from them or visited the store ?
Old 08-24-01, 08:49 AM

Steve,

You should go to Fry's in Manhattan Beach - if you don't have a Fry's where you live and if they are having any good sales.

And, no Jimbo, I haven't bought from Ken Crane or his dvdplanet because they don't have deals. At least not good enough to drive from LA County to Orange County for (and having to deal with all the people in pickup trucks). Don't get me wrong - that's KC's option. He made his money the old fashioned way - he inherited it - and wants to keep it - that's fine.
Old 08-28-01, 07:40 AM

I suggest you check out Laser Blazer at 10587 W. Pico Blvd. They have a good selection (including lots of obscure titles) and decent prices for a B&M (20-25% off usually). Plus, if you're staying in Century City, you could practically walk there.
Old 08-28-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I'd second the suggestion of Skorp's--Laser Blazer has a ton of titles (all discounted from the MSRP) and IS within walking distance from Century City. (If you like to walk a half hour to an hour. In a car, it's about five minutes.) (They also sell used DVDs.)

I'd also second Jimbo's suggestion. (If you want to take the hour drive down the 405 Freeway.) Ken Crane's has a massive amount of DVDs and they DO have weekly specials on about ten selected titles at 40-45% off the MSRP. (Recent examples of specials--Charlie's Angels, Re-Animator, Pixote, All The King's Men.) It changes each week. Otherwise, ALL titles are 25% off the MSRP as Jimbo stated.

(And just a correction to Jimbo's post. Ken Crane's is located on Beach Blvd. in the city of Westminster.)

Fry's has only a selected few DVDs that are a "good buy" each week. (You can do better through Internet stores on everything else.) Plus, while Laser Blazer and Ken Crane's have their inventories in alphabetic order (and very helpful clerks), Fry's puts their DVDs in different categories which will have you hunting through the racks for what you want and scratching your head. (Examples: Criterion's "I Know Where I'm Going" I found in the horror section (!) and "Titanic" was in the comedy section.--I can't argue with that last placement. )

(And it is true that Ken Crane, Jr. inherited his money, but the store does sell DVDs at discounted prices. (For a long time their prices used to be 30% off on all DVDs.) And when it comes to exchanging/returning a defective DVD which you bought from them, there's no problem. (Even if the defect isn't discovered for over a year.)

Last edited by Franchot; 08-28-01 at 01:19 PM.