DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Salem's Lot dvd -Question

Old 08-15-01, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salem's Lot dvd -Question

I picked up Salem's lot awhile back for like $9.95 and i just watched it now. while the transfer is kinda crappy, (lots of specs and scratches throughout) one thing that really troubled me was the picture bouncing up and down a little (starts during chapter 4 and goes on and off throughout). its similar to what would sometimes happen on vhs , in which case u simply adjusted the tracking level. has anyone else noticed this on the dvd? thanks, dave
Old 08-15-01, 05:48 PM

I have it. But I didn't remember it bouncing up and down like a VHS tape.
Remembered it played ok otherwise I would have complained.

Defective disc? Or maybe player compatiblity issues?

Just some thoughts until more replies.
Old 08-15-01, 06:23 PM
Banned

yeah, well when i posted i was only on chapter 6.....i am on chapter 17 now and everything has been fine. so i guess the only time it does it is chapter 4. maybe you can check yours and see? its not major bouncing, just enough to annoy you.

my player is a toshiba player and the dvd is region 1. i have had no problems before or since, and every dvd i own plays really well. [or as well as the transfer was made]. dave
Old 08-16-01, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Hmmm, this is strange. Measuring the quality of a transfer is subjective, but the transfer didn't seem "crappy" to me...nor was there any jittering or bouncing at any time.

I've viewed the disc on an RCA 5220P and Pioneer DV-434.

I suspect a faulty disc, and a to a lesser degree, a less tolerant player. I've noticed that some players are more sensitive to imperfections than others.
Old 08-16-01, 10:29 AM
Banned

well maybe, but the scratches and specs of dirt on the film have nothing to do with the dvd or the player, thats the way WB put it on the disc. maybe you watched your copy a long time ago, if you watch it now, you will see, almost every scene has lots of blips and scratches (not too much grain though). dave
Old 08-17-01, 08:22 PM

Just checked chapter 4. You are right. It does bounce very little. Thought it was a shimmer in the grass. I was more focused on the center. But if I look at the top or bottom, only an inch, it seems to bounce/shimmer a little. So not sure if it is the disc or player. I have a Toshiba too.

I should drag out the laptop and see what happens using the DVDROM drive.

But it hardly bothered me or noticeable until you've mentioned it. Now every time when I watch it, my eyes might wander over to the top or bottom.
Old 08-20-01, 09:44 AM
Banned

chapter 4 really bothers me, it bounced bad enough to make me sick!!! lol.

try it out on another player or lap top and let me know what happens. did you also notice all the print marks and scratches? otherwise, a classic horror disc!!

--would like to see a stephen king box set of some of his classics in a cleaned up state w/dolby digital 5.1 sound and commentary by the man himself. would sell a ton!
Old 11-21-07, 01:35 PM

I just picked up Salem's Lot (1979), and I think the picture quality is OK. Somewhat better than my PAL VHS copy.

But I am very disappointed with the sound. The actors voices can be heard clearly enough. But when comparing it to my VHS copy, its like night and day. The VHS sound is fuller and much richer, three dimensional, and it feels like you are actually there. Every little detail is registered, like the whisper of cloth brushing against cloth, faint rustles, breathing, or background noices. Those details are gone on the DVD, and it doesn't help to turn the volume up either. It sounds flat, you have the basic parts, like the actors voices, and that's it.

This makes me think of the debate between LP sound versus CD sound. CD being cleaner and free from crackles and pops, but on the other hand lacking the LP's depth and full richness of sound.
Makes me wonder if DVD generally has the same sound quality as CD, or if Salem's Lot is just a case of exceptionally bad transfer from the original recording?

Last edited by Terri; 11-21-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is my question are there 2 cuts of Salem's Lot (1979)?
I think there is 2 version's-one TV-Version and the Euro-Flim verison,and is the latter on DvD?
Old 11-21-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
Here is my question are there 2 cuts of Salem's Lot (1979)?
I think there is 2 version's-one TV-Version and the Euro-Flim verison,and is the latter on DvD?
Yes two versions. Originally a 2-part tv movie of approx. three hours and an edited down version for European theatrical release.
By beef with the dvd is that they edited both parts of the tv movie into just one long movie. On the double vhs version , tape one was part one and tape two was part two. You got the opening and closing credits for each part and the recap of part one at the beginning of part two.
Old 11-22-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks rw2516 I just had feeling and I thought one of them R rated? not just unrated?