Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: "The Mark Of Zorro" (1920) and "The Black Pirate"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen the Kino releases of these Douglas Fairbanks silent films? I'm looking for reviews of the transfers, as well as the films.

Thanks....
jim
Old 08-13-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...we aim to please...

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?black+pirate

. . . . . .
Old 08-14-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't attest to the transfer, but i own MOZ on LD and it's one of my favorite film. if you take silent movies ( i wouldn't expect most people here would have the patience for them) you will be amply rewarded. The sense of fun and high spirits that prevade this film, as well as Fairbanks enthusiastic athleticsm, make it a joy to watch. i'd love to get the Black Pirate, but the price seems a little too steep at this point. if i ever can get it for about $20 i'd grab it in a heart-beat.
Bessie Love....MMMMM
Old 08-15-01, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
can't attest to the transfer, but i own MOZ on LD and it's one of my favorite film. if you take silent movies ( i wouldn't expect most people here would have the patience for them) you will be amply rewarded.
That's their loss, I guess. They're missing out on many great films. Heck, what is a DVD collection without some Buster Keaton????

i'd love to get the Black Pirate, but the price seems a little too steep at this point. if i ever can get it for about $20 i'd grab it in a heart-beat.
Bessie Love....MMMMM
The cheapest I can find it is for just over $27 (shipped) from Alphacraze, not exactly my favorite seller. I guess the price difference between this and "Mark Of Zorro" must be due to the extras on the "Black Pirate" DVD, which are supposed to be quite good.

jim
Old 08-17-01, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been meaning to pick up the some BK for a while now.
...wish they weren't in those damnable snappers!
the $25 discount price is a bit steep for me also.

i've got some mixed feelings about kino.
once when i tried to sell a copy of a clara bow movie on ebay i was sent a vitriolic e-mail from one of the higher-ups there. they didn't own the movie rights, but the person was a big movie buff and she was upset that i was selling 'bootleg' material. Fox or paramount evidently own the rights (and will of course never let it see the light of day until its turned to dust in the can).
also one of the only LD's i've had rot on me is my copy of Diary Of A Lost Girl. i watched it a grand total of 1 time.
cost $50 retail when they issued it exactly 10 years ago.
aaarrrgghhh.