Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any early "Forrest Gump" DVD reviews?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about two weeks away from Gump's release date, and I haven't seen any reviews for it yet. Has anyone here read any?
Old 08-13-01, 06:39 PM

Do not expect reviews until 10 or less days before the 8-28 release date for this title.
Old 08-14-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How come, DVDRules1?
Old 08-14-01, 10:17 PM

I already own this disc alogn with Hannibal and The Goonies....it is an excellent set. The bes thing Paramount has put out yet!
Old 08-17-01, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Just posted at Dvdfile.com.
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...rrestgump.html

Kahuna
Old 08-17-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Here's another review from WidescreenReview.com:

http://www.widescreenreview.com/newrelease/forrest.html
Old 08-17-01, 10:57 PM

The reason why Gump reviews shouldn't appear more than 10 days prior to street is because that's what Paramount asks online reviewers to do. DVD File have screwed about with this deadline many times, and they play cutely with the whole thing. Martin Blythe at Paramount had asked for reviews to wait until at least the afternoon of the Friday 11 days pre-street, but once again they decided to violate that request. Yes, this annoys me - it's such a minor difference that I don't understand why they have to be so obnoxious about it...
Old 08-18-01, 09:15 AM

Kindly following the studio's rules, I waited till this morning to post my review.

DVD Review: Forrest Gump
Old 08-21-01, 06:20 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

That is the lamest thing I have ever heard of. Who cares if they break the street date by 10 days or 100 days? Maybe Paramount had something to hide. If they have something to hide about the quality of the release, then they should be scared.

I think releasing reviews early is a good thing. Keeps these studios on their toes and it influences the quality of the dvd's. Paramount did an average job on Forrest Gump and DVDFile called them on it. Good for them.
Old 08-22-01, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Flay
That is the lamest thing I have ever heard of. Who cares if they break the street date by 10 days or 100 days? Maybe Paramount had something to hide. If they have something to hide about the quality of the release, then they should be scared.

I think releasing reviews early is a good thing. Keeps these studios on their toes and it influences the quality of the dvd's. Paramount did an average job on Forrest Gump and DVDFile called them on it. Good for them.
They don't have to release the DVD's at all and they certainly don't have to send out promo copies to online reviewers who violate their rules.

-Gonnosuke
Old 08-22-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay

I thought DVDFile gave Forest a good review. At the end he said, "...I think Forrest Gump fans will be pleased. Stupid is as stupid does... so don't be a dummy and let Forrest pass you by on DVD."

I will be buy this movie on DVD. I will be planning a Forest Gump Party with my friends.

People who receive free copies should only release there reviews on the dates that the agreed on with the Film Companies.
Old 08-22-01, 02:08 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

It got a good review, but not a great one. I would have expected Forrest Gump to have been an excellent dvd release, but Paramount didn't put that much effort into it. As big as this movie was, I just assumed it would get the highest quality transfer possible. DVDfile only gave it 3.5 out of 5 notches. It could have gotten five out of five if Paramount put a little more effort into the dvd.

I agree that they don't have to send promo copies out early. But it would be stupid not to considering DVDfile's reader base.
Old 08-22-01, 03:22 PM

This has nothing to do with Gump itself. Paramount ask us not to post reviews of ANY of their titles more than 10 days early. It's not an issue of "hiding" anything - it's a question of making it fair for all of the sites, at least in my eyes. I don't know if that's behind Paramount's decision or not; perhaps it came as a result of market research that said 10 days or so in advance was the optimal time to publicize a program. However, since it's obviously not a given that every review will go up exactly 10 days early, I doubt that's the case.

Whatever the truth may be, 10 days in advance still is plenty early to educate people about a DVD, and it levels the playing field for all of the sites. Paramount has nothing to "hide" about their DVDs - that was a real stretch...
Old 08-22-01, 06:29 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Oh, you are complaining because dvdfile posted the review before you did on your site. Now I get it.

It's the green-eyed monster.
Old 08-24-01, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the obnoxious response, Flay. Jealousy has nothing to do with it. I fully accept the fact that DVD File are a bigger site than ours and that with size come some privileges. However, they've flouted the express desires of Paramount, and I think that's arrogant and unnecessary.

Frankly, I don't worry at all when someone posts before we do. There's too much of this "first look" crap around the Internet, and even when we have posted the earliest reviews, we've never trumpeted these silly bragging rights. Sure, it's nice to beat others to the punch, but I don't really care about it, as it doesn't affect our bottom line in the slightest.

You're simply trying to call me "jealous" to distract from your apparently-willful ignorance; the thought that Paramount must have something to "hide" because they have consistent timelines remains absurd. especially since they do this for EVERY DVD they release. I don't think it's too much to ask for DVD File and every other site to respect their wishes. And just because Paramount DO have a policy doesn't mean that they're trying to obscure flaws - that remains a silly comment...
Old 08-24-01, 10:07 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Hey, it was just a theory of mine. But thanks for picking it apart. Don't worry; I will do you the favor of spreading the word about your site. I just have so much to say about it.
Old 08-27-01, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

review of gump

You can see a review of gump on dvdtalk now!!
Old 08-27-01, 07:11 PM
Suspended

Just got mine today from DVDEmpire. Damn fine DVD. The video looked great (but I don't have a giant TV to really know, but it looked great on my 27" Panasonic) .. and the sound was really great, specially in the "loud" scenes like in Vietnam and stuff. I didn't check the extras yet, gonna save that for a night when I'm bored...

Go buy it, it's worth every penny