DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Happiness

Old 08-12-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Review Wanted: Happiness

How is this DVD? How is the film?
Old 08-13-01, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...the DVD is fine... the film is terrific, with some great acting... but don't take my word for this, check out these 100+ reviews from around the world...:

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?^Happiness+(1998)

. . . . . .
Old 08-13-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The film is abhorrent. The direction is superb. While I do think that Tood Solondz is very talented, and the film is meticulously assembled, some scenes really pushes the limits of taste, IMO, like the father-and-son conversation. It is ugly, misanthropic, and hideous. If you're into that kind of thing, then you should see it. I personally think that once is too much for me to watch such a film.
Old 08-13-01, 02:49 PM

Fantastic film about unsympathetic characters and puts humor in uneasy subject matter. Definitely not for all tastes, but for lover of darker, taboo, disturbing (but thoughtful) cinema it is rewarding. The DVD is middle of the road, no real special features, good image. I believe it is out of print or going out of print as well, so pick it up if it sounds intriguing.
Old 08-13-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are prepared to possibly have a hole burned in your heart, this movie may be a very rewarding experience for you. I think it's one of the best in my recent memory. But when you can make a jaded Los Angeles arthouse audience gasp and cry, you've really acheived something...but you may not like what that something is.

You will find, as you go down the path of "art" and "esoteric" cinema, that there are certain films which will really not let go of your consciousness--Happiness can be categorized there. I have participated in huge, angry flame wars in this film's defense.
Old 08-13-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The movie is good, but frankly the hype is a bit much. It's sort of showy in a wa, like "look how subversive and bad I can be! I'm gonna heap all sorts of misery on and then you'll think I'm really up to something." I don't know. I saw it in the theater and can't imagine wtching it again.
Old 08-13-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by coffin_booth
The DVD is middle of the road, no real special features, good image. I believe it is out of print or going out of print as well, so pick it up if it sounds intriguing.
Where did you hear this? I've seen nothing about that. I liked this movie a lot but have put off buying it because I know I wouldn't watch it much.

------------------
Here are some older comments:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=happiness

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=happiness
Old 08-13-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Happiness is one of the best films made this past decade. It didn't quite make my top ten of the 1990s list, but would definitely make my top 20, as would Solondz's Welcome to the Dollhouse. I highly recommend both films, but I think Happiness is the superior film. I think both films have very high rewatchability. Most people are usually too shocked during their first viewing of Happiness to really pay attention to everything. Subsequent viewings can be watched in a more relaxed state. The film is quite shocking, but also very thoughtful.
Old 08-14-01, 09:40 AM
Banned

Don't be fooled. There is nothing particularly 'shocking' about this film. It's just about the lives of a bunch of average Americans. Still, it is probably the best film of 1998 or whatever year it came out, if for no other reason than that it 'shocked' so many people. Trust me, it's about as 'shocking' as 'The Brady Bunch' (I guess, I've never seen the show actually).
Old 08-14-01, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by jafuf
Don't be fooled. There is nothing particularly 'shocking' about this film. It's just about the lives of a bunch of average Americans. Still, it is probably the best film of 1998 or whatever year it came out, if for no other reason than that it 'shocked' so many people. Trust me, it's about as 'shocking' as 'The Brady Bunch' (I guess, I've never seen the show actually).
Spoiler:

Yeah, sure, drugging then raping a little child is *so* not distubing. Whatever.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 08-14-01 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-14-01, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Lokimok
Where did you hear this? I've seen nothing about that. I liked this movie a lot but have put off buying it because I know I wouldn't watch it much.
I read it a couple of months back on one of the many DVD sites out there. Unfortunately, I cant remember the name. As I recall their info was pretty good, had up to date info.
Old 08-14-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't be fooled. There is nothing particularly 'shocking' about this film. It's just about the lives of a bunch of average Americans.
I think that I am a pretty jaded film viewer and I found the film quite shocking the first time I saw it. After that I wasn't very shocked, though. A friend of mine, on the other hand, did not find it very shocking and said it reminded her a lot of when she used to live in NYC, so I guess I can also understand your statement about "average Americans" to a certain degree. However, I don't consider
Spoiler:
child molesters
to be "average" Americans.
John Waters gave interesting insight into why he thought it was the BEST film of the last decade in one of his commentaries...I think it was on Pecker....he said that everyone his age, the same people that loved all the underground films of the 60s and 70s that other people found shocking at the time, hated Happiness and thought it was vile and shocking, so that's why he loved it.

Last edited by garmonbozia; 08-09-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-14-01, 02:15 PM

This is a great film, but not for those easily offended or fans of Hollywood garbage.
Old 08-14-01, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by saoirse
This is a great film, but not for those easily offended or fans of Hollywood garbage.
I don't think I'm easily offended at all - after all, I managed to watch Funy Games with no problem, and I found A Clockwork Orange to not really be offensive at all. But there are certain things which are best left alone, and I seriously did not need to see a man trying to
Spoiler:
drug & rape a child

Your statement above is gross generalization at best.
Old 08-14-01, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by garmonbozia

John Waters gave interesting insight into why he thought it was the BEST film of the last decade in one of his commentaries...I think it was on Pecker....he said that everyone his age, the same people that loved all the underground films of the 60s and 70s that other people found shocking at the time, hated Happiness and thought it was vile and shocking, so that's why he loved it.
He liked it just because others thought it was vile and shocking? That's stupid (although not as stupid as Cecil B. Demented).
Old 08-14-01, 03:22 PM

Yes it was a generalization. What a shock. Insert 99% if you want me to be more accurate. It's sad when something we are offended by makes us miss the actual meaning and discount a great film. Very Sad.

So I guess I won't recommend Requiem For a Dream or Dancer in the Dark to those people either.
Old 08-14-01, 03:31 PM

My vote: Absolutely, hysterically funny and very uncomfortable at the same time. It's like a scary amusement park ride; one minute you're freaking out, the next minute you're screaming with laughter, and (for the minority) the next minute you're throwing up. My kind of movie.
Old 08-14-01, 03:40 PM

Yes it was a generalization. What a shock. Insert 99% if you want me to be more accurate. It's sad when something we are offended by makes us miss the actual meaning and discount a great film. Very Sad.

So I guess I won't recommend Requiem For a Dream or Dancer in the Dark to those people either.
The difference is, Requiem is a great film, DITD is pretty good (nowhere near as good as Breaking the Waves), but Happiness is, IMO, unbearable to watch. It's a difference in TASTE. All you did is back up your gross generalization with *another* gross generalization.

Other "shocking" films which IMO isn't as despicable as Happiness:

Festen (The Celebration)
Idioterne (The Idiots)
Crash
Come and See
spanking the Monkey

.....and many others. But this, of course, is my opinion. your mileage may vary.
Old 08-14-01, 04:04 PM

Other "shocking" films which IMO isn't as despicable as Happiness. *I can't tell from the broken language what you are trying to say here.

No, as mentioned earlier, perhaps I think 99% of people who enjoy that movie would enjoy the others and vice versa. Period. So yes that still leaves many exceptions.
Old 08-14-01, 05:14 PM

Other "shocking" films which IMO isn't as despicable as Happiness. *I can't tell from the broken language what you are trying to say here.

No, as mentioned earlier, perhaps I think 99% of people who enjoy that movie would enjoy the others and vice versa. Period. So yes that still leaves many exceptions.
Although I do admit my mistake in writing "isn't" instead of "aren't", I believe that the rest can easily be deduced without me having to explicate.

If you want thought-provoking and disturbing films, you may want to check out Takeshi Miike's "Audition", Michael Cuesta's "L.I.E.", Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Cure", and Michael Haneke's upcoming, "The Piano Teacher". Oh, and there is also Todd Solondz's own upcoming "Storytelling", but I think it is obvious I'm not a big fan of his.
Old 08-14-01, 06:49 PM

If you want thought-provoking and disturbing films, you may want to check out Takeshi Miike's "Audition", Michael Cuesta's "L.I.E.", Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Cure", and Michael Haneke's upcoming, "The Piano Teacher".
I've seen Audition and loved it. I am anxiously awaiting the new Haneke film and the other two I am not familiar with but will have to watch for - thanks Grimfarrow.

The newly re-mastered Come and See is supposed to be released on DVD by Kino in October. I can't wait. Now that was one brilliant and shocking film. Let's hope Kino does a good job.

And not to go completely off-topic, I think Happiness needs to be re-released with extras and an anamorphic transfer.
Old 08-14-01, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by teorema

I've seen Audition and loved it. I am anxiously awaiting the new Haneke film and the other two I am not familiar with but will have to watch for - thanks Grimfarrow.

The newly re-mastered Come and See is supposed to be released on DVD by Kino in October. I can't wait. Now that was one brilliant and shocking film. Let's hope Kino does a good job.
Come and See is scheduled for a release in 2002 by Ruscico. I am not sure exactly how the transfer of the Kino version will be, but Ruscico's will definitely be stellar (just look at their stunning transfer of Andrei Rublev, which is noticeably *better* than the Criterion disc!). While I absolutely love Come and See, I think it may be wise to hold off until the Ruscico version is out.
Old 08-14-01, 08:18 PM

Come and See is scheduled for a release in 2002 by Ruscico.
OMG, I did not know that. They did a superb job on The Viy and Solaris. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer to get Come and See. I wonder if they will ever release any of Elem Klimov's wife's films like The Ascent or Heat?
Old 08-15-01, 12:20 AM

It is a real shame, but Larisa Shepitko's Golden Bear-winning "Ascent" is not included in Ruscico's catalogue. Admittedly, I have little knowledge of her earlier works like "Heat".
Old 08-15-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. Maybe people just don't want to admit that these things happen in everyday life to everyday people. This might not be the type of film that merits any repeat viewing, but it's still a must see in my opinion.....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.