Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why DVDLair Sucks

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why DVDLair Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why DVDLair Sucks

The coupon GOTO10 expired a day before it was supposed to. I called their 1-800 number to inquire about this and spoke with a CSR who gave me another, better code.

I placed a HUGE order with them ($700), even cancelling orders at other, more reputable etailers to give them the business for providing such great customer service.

These a-holes cancelled my order saying the code was invalid (apparently is was only for employee use). It was their employees who gave me the code!!

Now I have to order elsewhere and pay more for the same merchandise.

May this etailer soon visit the etailer graveyard.

I'm writing the BBB now....
Old 08-03-01, 06:26 PM

Well, I sent three emails yesterday (one to them, one to someone who works there, and one simply asking for their mailing address). They ignored all three emails.

I'd avoid this etailer like the plague. They do not care about their customers or the damage they cause with their incompetence. This is the worst experience I've ever had buying DVDs and I've bought more than 500 online in the past two years from probably 30 different etailers.

I'm contacting the BBB, PlanetFeedback, epinions, and Bizrate. Are there other places where I can slam them for their incompetence, poor business practices, and assinine behavior?
Old 08-08-01, 09:40 AM

I had good luck

I have made 2 purchases from them in the past and have been very happy with service. I actually got my order in 2 days from them. It typically takes CDNow, hollywood or amazon 3-4 days before I get it.

I buy a lot of DVD's and they have had really good prices and service for me.
Old 08-08-01, 10:02 PM

Dear DVDLair employee, power604:

When are you DVDLair employees going to give up? You sign up both here and at DVDCP just to negate my comments. I'm sure that most of the members here and at DVDCP are intelligent enough to see your post for what it is -- self-promotion. You all keep signing up just to post a positive comment about your company. The prior post is your ONLY post. Pretty obvious. That's the way all you employees have been posting.

If you're posting, I assume that you are aware how your company screwed me over. You will do the same to others. If I can protect just a few other consumers from shopping at your pitiful company, then my job here is done.

May the honest consumers win out over you disreputable etailers and may DVDLair die a quick (but painful) death!
Old 08-09-01, 11:25 AM
mvc

Umm, I ordered from DVD Lair last week when it was posted that DVD Lair still had those Akira DVD Tin Sets. So I ordered one and used the coupon and everything seemed to work fine. I received my DVD yesterday and I'm pretty satisfied. Order took a little less than a week to reach Bay Area. Came out to be around $25 shipped. Didn't have any problems with this etailer... but I only ordered 1 dvd... Their prices aren't that great if you don't use the coupon. But I'm pretty happy since I couldn't get the Kmart Akira deal to work. Stupid Bay Area Kmarts suck!
Old 08-09-01, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by mvc
Umm, I ordered from DVD Lair last week when it was posted that DVD Lair still had those Akira DVD Tin Sets. So I ordered one and used the coupon and everything seemed to work fine. I received my DVD yesterday and I'm pretty satisfied. Order took a little less than a week to reach Bay Area. Came out to be around $25 shipped. Didn't have any problems with this etailer... but I only ordered 1 dvd... Their prices aren't that great if you don't use the coupon. But I'm pretty happy since I couldn't get the Kmart Akira deal to work. Stupid Bay Area Kmarts suck!
Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 08-13-01, 08:26 PM

They're still screwing around with me so...

^^bump^^
Old 08-14-01, 07:53 PM

If you are trying to form a smear campaign against this etailer then great. That's your choice.

I, however, think your argument is weak and you are coming accross as some spoiled brat. And according to the amount of posts on this thread not many people seem to care or have any simpathy for your "plight". Your "goons after me" paranoid statements are not helping your cause either. Some people even defend dvdlair.com...lol

I tried them myself for the Akira offer. With their coupon it was one hell of a deal. Received the DVD within a week. No problem.
Their prices are not great, but they are competitive with your average etailer and I'll try them later if another offer presents itself.

Threads like these are a dime a dozen. Especially against amazon, empire and buy.com. If views and opinions are split like in this dvdlair case, then the only way to know for sure is by trying them out yourself.

Hope everything works out for you though.
Old 08-15-01, 08:35 AM

The "goons after me" statement is not paranoia. It's a fact. One of them slipped up and "confessed" to me via email (after cussing me out.)

This company is filled with jerks. I will not buy from them again. I highly recommend that others don't either. However, if you do choose to give them your business, I think you should at least know the kind of people you're doing business with.

They screwed me over. They scammed this (and other) websites by having their employees pose as customers. If I've saved just a couple of consumers from having to deal with problems from this incompentent, asinine etailer, then I'll have done my job.

I'm trying to help others out. Rather or not they choose to accept my help is up to each individual.
Old 08-15-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVDMovieMan ...I'd avoid this etailer like the plague...
I will not buy from them again.
I think your problem is solved dvdmovieman, just don't buy from them again.

As for coupons expiring early, that's a fact of life (buy.com did it all of the time), if you see a coupon you like, use it that day or risk it not being there. Most people understand that concept.
Old 08-15-01, 12:10 PM
mvc

I just got my second order yesterday. I got Sex and the City Season 1 for $24 shipped using the coupon. No problems with the order. Coupon expired I guess, but at least I got a couple of good deals.
Old 08-17-01, 08:26 PM

Bumping this up...

Does anyone know if that coupon still works at dvdlair.com? If so, can someone tell me what it is? They still have copies of the Akira Tin and I'll buy one from them if I can get it for $25. You can't go wrong at that price.
Old 09-27-01, 10:30 AM

The "goons after me" statement is not paranoia. It's a fact. One of them slipped up and "confessed" to me via email (after cussing me out.)

You know, I've been reading your rants and raves on this forum and DVDCouponPost as well. I'm amazed at how peeved you are. If they charged your credit card like you said on the other site, then by all means you have a right to be angry, but you can call your credit card company and dispute it. But just because a coupon expired or a promotion some foolish CSR promised you but didn't come through, like has happened to all of us at one time or another shouldn't give you the right to try to put them out of business. I'm not sure it qualifies as "false advertising" if a coupon expires. If the CSR gave you a promo that does not exist or is for employees only like you said (50% off) then I would call or write to the head of the company and tell him about the no-brainers who work for him, but seriously, c'mon you got "screwed" because you couldn't get 50% off??? Are you kidding me or what? If that promotion had been given to me, I would have been surprised if it had worked, quite frankly.

Don't get me wrong, this company could very well end up in the etailer graveyard like so many others, and maybe they're not reputable, who knows? (I know I have a couple of orders with them so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.) However, time will tell and I'm not going to ignore them cause they didn't give DVDMovieMan his 50% off!!!

And no, I'm not a "company goon" nor an employee of the company, as you have accused every other company defender thus far, just a regular, average middle-class citizen who's sick of hearing you piss and moan, when nothing so terrible has happened to you.

Last edited by stevevt; 09-27-01 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-27-01, 10:31 AM

Oops

sorry about all the underlining, i did it wrong.
Old 09-27-01, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Oops

Originally posted by LouRavioli
sorry about all the underlining, i did it wrong.
Fixed it. In the future, just click on the above your post to make changes.
Old 09-27-01, 11:24 AM
Cool New Member

okay sorry I know this is not the right spot to post this, But this is the thread I happened to be reading.

I was just wondering. How long do I have to be a Member before it stops saying I am a new member? I mean When I originally signed up last summer, I ended up forgetting what user name I chose, so i made a new account. But even with the new account I would think that after a few months like its been, I would no longer be a new member. :-(

nothing to complain about, have only used a few e-tailers, generally buy my films used at the local video store. (nice and cheap!)
Old 09-27-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At times like this, it's too bad that dvdLair isn't on Bizrate.com which can collect follow up data on late or missing shipments.
Old 09-27-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by batjann
okay sorry I know this is not the right spot to post this, But this is the thread I happened to be reading.
If you know you're posting in the wrong spot, I ask that you please not do it at all.

A quick visit to the Feedback Forum would have found this thread, which points to this thread in the DVDTalk Forum.
Old 10-09-01, 11:22 AM

I received my initial confirmation e-mail for my order but have not heard a thing form them since. Do they take a long time to ship? My order contained both pre-orders and already released discs. Do they ship separate or all at once? Do they e-mail you when they ship?
Old 10-09-01, 03:04 PM

Blah, DVDLair does suck. I pre-ordered two movies and a boxset all due out today and none of them have shipped. Worse yet, none of them are even in stock. This is the last time I'm ordering anything from them...I'd rather pay a few dollars more and get my stuff on the day of release!