Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Ravenous DVD... How did this slip by like, everyone?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-01, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 1999 DVD release from Fox that's really quite loaded. I mean, The only reason I even thought to pick it up was that a weird stoner friend of mine is completely obsessed with it and I've run out of movies to buy on my "want list". I was incredibly and pleasantly surprised with the movie itself, but I had no clue that Fox was releasing such quality feature-laden discs back in 1999. I mean, the disc has not one but THREE commentary tracks, about 10 minutes of deleted scenes w/ or w/o commentary, and then the other normal features. I was expecting "Dolby Digital 5.1 and Trailer" for extra features, or a True Lies-sized disappointment. I mean sure, the MSRP is exorbitantly high for this one, but I got it for relatively cheap from DVD Box Office. What shocks me is that I've NEVER heard about this movie on this forum, or the DVD itself. Seems like it should have gotten SOME publicity for being such a healthily extra'd Fox DVD in 1999, or at least for being such a fun little vampire/cannibalism flick. Oh well.. just got done watching it and figured I'd rant a little and see if anyone else had even seen this little gem.
Old 07-31-01, 01:10 AM

I remember seeing TV spots for this film and that's what got me to rent the DVD when it first came out. I loved it so much, I quickly purchased the DVD. An excellent movie with a then relatively unknown Guy Pierce and terrific DVD other than it's not anamorphic. Every time I watch this movie I have that eerie music stuck in my head for like a week afterward. And who can forget the best line of them all, "He was licking me!"
Old 07-31-01, 01:16 AM

Even though this is a nice little film, it represents one of the many mis-steps by Fox. This title is not anamorphic, as were most of the Fox dvds at this time, and are still way over priced. 39.95 for a non-anamorphic disc with a couple of commentaries is exhorbitant. The Marketplace has changed and to Fox's credit so have they. Anamorphic enhancement with dts audio is now standard fare on many Fox releases. Even their recent 2 disc sets do not have 39.95 msrps. As much as I enjoyed Ravenous, it is not worth more than 19.95 retail.
Old 07-31-01, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Smog
Even though this is a nice little film, it represents one of the many mis-steps by Fox. This title is not anamorphic, as were most of the Fox dvds at this time, and are still way over priced. 39.95 for a non-anamorphic disc with a couple of commentaries is exhorbitant. The Marketplace has changed and to Fox's credit so have they. Anamorphic enhancement with dts audio is now standard fare on many Fox releases. Even their recent 2 disc sets do not have 39.95 msrps. As much as I enjoyed Ravenous, it is not worth more than 19.95 retail.
I hate to be a stickler but it's original MSRP was actually $34.95 which I agree is still way overpriced.
Old 07-31-01, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great movie and one I would pick up if it was anamorphic. I really love the music in this one. The whole movie is great and if you're not anal about anamorphic (like I am) this is a must buy.
Old 07-31-01, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually this disc didn't slip by, like, everyone.
There have been a number of threads devoted to this disc.

It was one of Fox's earlier releases when they were still charging exorbiant prices for inferior products. A very good, offbeat film. You'd think they'd drop the msrp by now.
Old 07-31-01, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was one of the first in my collection. If you like this movie you should see the best movie by this director: Priest.
Old 08-06-01, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though it's not anamorphic, dont let that stop you from adding this one to your collection. I found it to be fresh and different. And the soundtrack will play in your head for days.

Previous DVD Talk threads -

Ravenous

Review Wanted: Ravenous

Review Wanted: Ravenous
Old 08-06-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.dvdmg.com/ravenous.html

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/ravenous.html

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=150

http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Reviews/Ravenous.html

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=45...ws&CID=18#tabs

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 08-06-01 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-07-01, 11:07 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a rediculously high MSRP considering i have seen it at wallmart for under 20 bucks :-\

todd