Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shiri in US theaters in Nov. / JSA on VCD

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Shiri in US theaters in Nov. / JSA on VCD

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shiri's coming out in major U.S. cities, including NYC, Chicago, and LA, in November.

Columbia has dist. rights and delayed the initial planned release from August to Nov. to generate more publicity, according to (all in Korean) http://www.moviegate.co.kr/news/view...&cat=1&page=1.

JSA is on VCD, at least in Korea. I dunno where you can get it stateside, though. I dunno about how subtitles work on VCD, too. (all in Korean)http://dizzoshop.chosun.com/servlet/ProductCatalogVmart?txtPrrfnbr=34400&txtMerfnbr=12&txtCgrfnbr=440&txtMode=1.

I forgot to get the http, but CJ (Cheil Jeadang), which has rights to JSA, is planning to put it on DVD with loads of extra features. No date, yet though.

gopeglegs!

PS I can't wait to get JSA. I pulled a late night guard shift with a guy who was in the same S. Korean unit (Joint Security Force) for a while. It's kinda weird unit, not exactly a ROK Army outfit (enlisted are all S. Korean draftees), nor a U.S. Army unit (all equipment is supplied from US Army-probably as a UN unit) . . . imagine U.S. Army-equipped W. Germans serving on the Rhine during the Cold War. It's weird because ROK Army has its own indigenous uniforms.
Old 06-29-01, 04:53 PM

Excellent! I guess this means will get Shiri in R1 for sure now.
Old 06-30-01, 06:18 AM

I saw this so called Shiri at one of my friend's house who's a Korean-American and I must say that I was horribly disappointed at wasting my 2 hours on this movie. Every special units were wearing Oakley goggles (I guess they got endorsed from Oakley) and a particular scene where a building blows up... man, was that special effect made by a kid? Unrealistic, not enough suspense, the whole plot revealed within 15 minutes of the movie start.

If you have some time to kill, go see Battlefield Earth. Wait... on second thought, just rewatch ID4.

Just my personal opinion.
Old 06-30-01, 08:01 PM

Wow trolling, what a surprise

Anyways back to the issue at hand. Shiri was acquired via Lion's Gate Films (Associated with Columbia) last year, and the aforementioned theatrical run and dvd have long been in the planning stages and its nice to see it coming to fruition. Hopefully the limited theatrical run will spread to enough cities.

Regarding JSA, the Korean VCD, like all Korean VCDs, features no subtitles. Subtitles must be burned into to the source to be utilized on vcd, so in Korea they don't include any subtitles on their vcds. The dvd will hopefully have subtitles, but it is a bit more delicate subject as the film is a hot property for exports at the moment (It did hold at one point the highest price ever paid for the licensing of a Korean film for another territory, I'm not sure if it still does as an animated feature still in production recently had a ton of cash dropped on it for foreign licensing). I'm hoping the dvd release follows the recent trend of Korean releases and will have subtitles. I caught this one a month or two ago via a festival tape and found it to be a great film, if a bit marred by the strained english of the lead female. It was nice to see a less action orientated approach to the North/South issue.