Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

i'm thinking of starting everquest - what do I need to know?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

i'm thinking of starting everquest - what do I need to know?

Old 06-27-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a good resource about what I need to know before I start? should I just get the basic game or get the expansions too or what? what server to play on? too many choices!
Old 06-27-01, 07:03 PM

Forget Everquest. Game is old. get something new and refreshing like Anarchy Online which is out today.
Old 06-28-01, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Nitelite
Forget Everquest. Game is old. get something new and refreshing like Anarchy Online which is out today.
you're kidding right? the game is uninstallable and unplayable as released
Old 06-28-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude... didn't you just post in another thread that your wife almost killed you over Diablo 2? And that you were gonna have to avoid online gaming? Man, EQ is like the *most* time-consuming MMORPG there is...
Old 06-28-01, 11:04 AM

Anyone see the deal at CompUSA for Everquest? They have it for $20 and then there's a $20 rebate. The only thing you should know about the game is the $10 monthly fee to play over the net.
Old 06-28-01, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everquest will eat up your time like you wouldn't believe (they don't call it Evercrack for nothing ya know). I've actually seen support groups around the 'net for "Everquest Widow" support groups. As for its being old, so what? It's a heck of a lot of fun. The best aspect of the game is playing with other people, and unfortunately I feel this is its worst aspect too. (Your experience will be based in large part on the people you meet).
Old 06-28-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, forget Everquest and all the other games where you're consistantly worrying about being killed or being robbed or being tricked into giving your stuff away and scared to even set foot in the place. Go to http://www.play.net/simunet_public/hx/hxhome.asp where the community is pleasant and the people are nice and you can actually ENJOY yourself! Isn't that what this is supposed to be all about? Getting away from the worries of life and enjoying your experience without having to worry about all the things you're trying to get away from?

~Scheherazade
Old 06-28-01, 01:57 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SirCaustic
Dude... didn't you just post in another thread that your wife almost killed you over Diablo 2? And that you were gonna have to avoid online gaming? Man, EQ is like the *most* time-consuming MMORPG there is...
I'll start by seconding the above. You might want to avoid this one. And besides the D2 exp. pack is coming out tomorrow.

Here's a link I found through Northernlight.com:

(deleted link-endless pop up ad generator -David)

Not sure if it's any good, but it seems like a place to start.

[Edited by Blade on 06-28-01 at 12:06 PM]
Old 06-28-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it is true - my wife and video games don't exactly mix, but I can't help it. It's not like I even play that much, maybe an hour at night or so, or possibly longer if she goes to bed early. I know if I pick up EQ I'll regret it, but I'm curious since it looks like fun. I used to play D2 like crazy, but I deleted my account and gave the game to a friend so I'd be starting over (I had to quit), and I don't know if I really feel like playing it anymore (I was in the upper 60s with my necro and in the 50's with my barb - that's a lot of playtime) I still haven't decided if I'm even going to buy it, but what you all are telling me, I don't know if I want to play it more or less. I'd like to fool around with it for a month or two so I may give it a shot.

[Edited by DrJag on 06-28-01 at 12:11 PM]
Old 06-28-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Scheherazade
Yep, forget Everquest and all the other games where you're consistantly worrying about being killed or being robbed or being tricked into giving your stuff away and scared to even set foot in the place. Go to http://www.play.net/simunet_public/hx/hxhome.asp where the community is pleasant and the people are nice and you can actually ENJOY yourself! Isn't that what this is supposed to be all about? Getting away from the worries of life and enjoying your experience without having to worry about all the things you're trying to get away from?

~Scheherazade
if I read it correctly that's a text only game, right? doesn't look like my cup of tea.
Old 06-28-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DrJag, how do you balence your wife's non-understanding of gaming with your passion to do so? I only ask because I'm having the same problems.

I don't play much, but a lot of it is seen as "wasted time" because Jennifer never was really exposed to video games, and understands it about as well as my parents do (which is to say not at all).
Old 06-28-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by einTier
DrJag, how do you balence your wife's non-understanding of gaming with your passion to do so? I only ask because I'm having the same problems.

I don't play much, but a lot of it is seen as "wasted time" because Jennifer never was really exposed to video games, and understands it about as well as my parents do (which is to say not at all).
excellent question. I wish I had a better answer, except to say that if you compromise with her and do things that she likes (lets say shopping), then she should leave you alone when you're playing video games (in moderation). If her needs are not met, expect a fight when you blow her off to play video games. I've haven't mastered the balance myself though, since my wife is less than understanding when I say I'm too tired to go grocery shopping tonight and instead sit down and play unreal tournament for 2 hours.
Old 06-28-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do yourself a favor, don't start Everquest, it's a complete waste of time with 0 story to it, you just level and camp stronger and stronger creatures, nothing at all is dynamic in the world, everyone does the same things over and over to get more money and gear, you say "ill play an hour a night"... that's useless, if you want to get the real good items, you have to camp up to 12 hours in the same spot in a row to get it, it's just a way for Verant to make easy money.
Old 06-28-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i caved and bought it - 10 bucks at the mall. So far I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm way confused. I managed to kill some snakes and rats, but it's awfully boring. I have zero equipment, and the rates I get for selling rat fur or whatever, I never will either. I wish I at least had a helmet or something, but I'm just a naked guy with a sword. (I picked the paladin) does this game ever get better? so far I'm not sure what's so addictive about it. I'm only up to lv 3 though.
Old 06-29-01, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if I read it correctly that's a text only game, right? doesn't look like my cup of tea
Yes, just text but I really do think that it's going to take a long time for any sort of graphic RPG to replace the text format. Seeing the things just limits your imagination so much. When you read them you see as beautiful a picture as your mind can create... whether your computer be monochrome or true color.

~Scheherazade
Old 06-29-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leveling in EQ

DrJAg
The worst is over now just focus on killing things around the castle in Qeynos and you will be at level 10 in no time. After that the game actually starts you can travel around without getting killed immediately.
I played the game for two months and eventually just realized how insane it was,,, Power to ya brother.
Old 06-30-01, 03:13 PM

Ok, For the dude that chuckled at my comment to get Anarchy Online. I don't know where you were when Everquest was released, but it was far from smooth. In fact, it was downright horrible, for weeks. Anarchy Online has been out 3 days, and is in a much better position then Everquest or any other MMORPG was at the same time. Also, Everquest is all static eq and camping. That doesn't happen in Anarchy Online as all items are random, there is no camping, and the game has a story line which will continue for 4 years. I don't know why anyone would still play EQ.
Old 07-01-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

do not get Anarchy Online unless you just want to stare at the box...As soon as you buy it you have to patch it like 3 times, and then it still won't work...this is assuming you'll even get it to run since half of the cd-keys that came with the game don't even work.
Old 07-01-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Leveling in EQ

Originally posted by Apocrypha
DrJAg
The worst is over now just focus on killing things around the castle in Qeynos and you will be at level 10 in no time. After that the game actually starts you can travel around without getting killed immediately.
I played the game for two months and eventually just realized how insane it was,,, Power to ya brother.
i started on the other shore, so all I do is hunt bears in the east commonlands. it gets tedious, but if 6 of us band together, we can take down soemthing decent, which is kind of fun. I think I'll like it better when I acually find a piece of equipment, since all I have is some pieces of cloth.
Old 07-01-01, 04:28 PM

Actaully, all patches for Anarchy Online are available via ftp, so patching the game is not a problem anymore. People were havig problems with the registration site itself, not the Cd-keys, and that problem has been fixed. I have been playing for the last 4 days, and although the game is buggy, its getting better daily. Its a far step up from Everquest.
Old 07-01-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, speaking from experience, these online games will steal half your life. But if you're going to do it, don't play something like Everquest. Wait until next Spring and get in on Star Wars Galaxies when it starts. You can even sign up now to be a possible beta tester and get started earlier.
Old 07-02-01, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JuryDuty
Well, speaking from experience, these online games will steal half your life. But if you're going to do it, don't play something like Everquest. Wait until next Spring and get in on Star Wars Galaxies when it starts. You can even sign up now to be a possible beta tester and get started earlier.
i already started EQ (i can't wait till spring!). but do you have a link for the beta testing? I'd like to give it a shot. As for EQ, it won't take 1/2 my life, bt I'll never be a really high level character either.
Old 07-02-01, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Go to http://www.starwarsgalaxies.com and sign up with a userid and email. They'll be emailing all of us when beta testing begins.

[Edited by JuryDuty on 07-02-01 at 06:03 AM]