Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

credit card dispute question

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

credit card dispute question

Old 06-18-01, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it's kind of related to stores...

I have a friend who purchased couple hundred dollars of stuff at bluelight.com. He went ahead and returned a couple hundred to KMart (accepts returns for bluelight.com). They messed up somehow and won't give him the full ~$400 credit he was supposed to have.

Apparently he's called about 10 times to bluelight.com and they keep blowing him off with something about corporate offices.

So, I told him that he might be able to dispute the charge with his credit card company. He has receipts that show he returned the order.

How easy/difficult is it to dispute a charge with a credit card company? Is it fast and easy?
Old 06-18-01, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might depend on the back, but with Citibank you call up, explain the dispute (don't know if they even care), they send you a form where you formally complain and include all supporting documentation - in the meantime you are issued a conditional credit. Then their disputes department does some 'research' on it and either lets the credit stand or reverses it.
Old 06-18-01, 07:35 PM
Suspended

depends on the credit card company. I ran into a similar situation a year ago. The credit card company usually puts the matter under dispute. My account was put under dispute for SIX MONTHS. I also know some people who are able to get it cleared immediately.
Old 06-18-01, 08:30 PM

It never hurts to try. I have been successful in the 2 or 3 disputes I have had in the past year or two. I hate PITA merchants, especially overseas when a phone call to them would cost an arm and a leg.
Old 06-18-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I had a dispute with a charge, my credit card company didn't give me a credit until the matter was resolved. If I had let the charge sit on my bill, I would have had to pay interest charges on it. So I had to pay and wait to see what happened with the dispute. It took about 4 months to get my money back.
Old 06-19-01, 12:50 AM

Anyone have any experience with MBNA?

Thanks for all the replies
Old 06-19-01, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CrazeeDonkee
Anyone have any experience with MBNA?

Thanks for all the replies
See my above post, my experience was with MBNA.
They were a pain. At one point they said they closed me case and found in favor of the vendor because they didn't get some information from me (of course I had sent that information to them twice!)
If you are dealing with MBNA, make sure you have a LOT of documentation.

[Edited by GJKowal on 06-19-01 at 04:58 AM]
Old 06-19-01, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, I used to work at MBNA during college and can safely say 'MBNA is suck'.
Old 06-19-01, 03:40 PM

Well, he does have receipts of the returns. Anyone know if that's good enough documentation?

Kind of sucks, I have MBNA too! Is NextCard any good?
Old 06-20-01, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CrazeeDonkee
Well, he does have receipts of the returns. Anyone know if that's good enough documentation?

Kind of sucks, I have MBNA too! Is NextCard any good?
i have a BofA Visa and my disputes are credited within 24 hours EVERY TIME and ive probably had over 20 so far thanks to companies like MRA video), even if it's only temporary credit until they get the matter resloved.