Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com attempting to bill me for an item from a year ago

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com attempting to bill me for an item from a year ago

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becareful buy.com will bill you even after a year. They are attempting to charge me for an item I bought a year ago June 16, 2000. I refuse to pay twice.

WTF???

Dear Steve,

After researching our buy.com records, we have discovered that your order(s)# xxx588, has been shipped to you but has never been completely billed. This may have happened for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, the use of an expired credit card, a lost or stolen card, etc… We apologize for any inconvenience and would appreciate your
cooperation in helping get this issue resolved. To help us, it requires that a change to your billing information be made. Once you have made the change, we can bill you appropriately for the product that you received.
Old 06-05-01, 12:28 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Send a you-got-to-be-kidding reply to them and contest the charge on your credit card if it appears! Don't fall victim of buy.CON!!!
Old 06-05-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got this same message today. Two different order numbers from MARCH 2000! The hell?
Old 06-05-01, 05:30 PM
Cool New Member

I got a "billing" from them for three orders going back as far as January 2000. When I asked them what precisely for, they sent me a way to view the billing receipts.

This is the most unprofessional correspondence I've ever received from a company - they don't give amounts, dates, or anything, just expect me to authorize a credit card for an unknown amount on three orders.

I've told them exactly what I need so that I can research whether I've actually paid for these orders or not - a list of precisely what charges from these orders were supposedly not billed, on what dates, and an explanation as to why Buy.com suddenly feels this to be true.

I encourage everyone else to do the same, and maybe that will keep them from bullying other people who don't know better and might just follow instructions.
Old 06-05-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they arent getting many orders now so they have people looking for ways to get money. I was double charged from them earlier this year for about 120.00 but they took care of it after a month or so even though they told me it would be done within 2 weeks.
Old 06-05-01, 10:51 PM

Many people received the same notice a month or two ago, including myself. I was so sure that Buy.com screwed up again that I printed up invoices along with the new detailed charge reports for ALL of my orders for the last couple of years. After comparing this ream of paper with my credit card statements I concluded that Buy.com really did not charge me for these orders. This apparently was due my credit card expiring before certain pre-orders shipped, and I guess nobody caught it until now. I went ahead and made the requested changes on their system as I felt that I should pay for what I ordered. I couldn't stop cursing while doing it, though.

I would like to say that this immense fiasco made me swear off Buy.com forever, but I had done so about a month before. They screwed up 3 of my pre-orders, and multiple emails resulted in cut and paste answers that had noting to do with my questions. My last email to them was "I give up. This is why your stock is at 22 cents."

Old 06-06-01, 08:20 AM

It sounds to me that Buy.com may have hired an independent contractor to review its billing. These independent contractors flourish all over the USA, but especially here in Southern California.

They will come in and check to make sure that all customers have been correctly billed. Whatever shortcomings in billing these "profit recovery firms" find, they will instruct Buy.com to re-bill the customer. For every re-bill that can be collected, the "profit recovery firm" will take a hefty percentage %%% as their fee. This way buy.com spends absolutely zero in expense in manpower for this research, but will share in any collected re-bill money.

In cases like this, yes they will go back as much as a year looking for re-bills. This type of tactic usually does piss off the customer because of all the paperwork the customer has to do in order to verify or deny the re-bill.
The company will usually lose a customer over this, but with buy.com stock at 22 cents as a previous post mentioned, can the end of buy.com be far off? At this point, buy.com has nothing to lose.

Buy.com customers better check and double check any re-billing they get. It is known that some "profit recovery firms" will try to re-bill "questionable" bills (bills for which complete detail is not available) and see what will stick with the customer. Only speculation on my part, but be careful with any re-bill!!!

[Edited by DeepSleep on 06-06-01 at 06:30 AM]