Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDs in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any good sites in Canada for purchasing DVDs? THe only one i've been able to find is Future Shop. I'd order from the States, but the shipping costs are a little outrageous.
Old 05-24-01, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by AirTimid
Are there any good sites in Canada for purchasing DVDs? THe only one i've been able to find is Future Shop. I'd order from the States, but the shipping costs are a little outrageous.
Come on over to MovieSource.com! We service Canada too.
Old 05-24-01, 04:47 PM
Cool New Member

www.dvdboxoffice.com is good. They were slow for a little bit a couple months back, but now I am getting all my stuff anywhere from 10-20 days. and they are cheap (yippee!!)

A&B sound is good but you might want to steer clear for a little bit until they get the recent card fiasco delt with. once thats up though they are decent too

just do a search on the web for dvd online stores
Old 05-24-01, 04:48 PM
Cool New Member

ps. I registered eons ago, i just forgot my user name and password so now i have to be a new member. oh well
Old 05-24-01, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let's see... dvdnorth.com for a while was good, but is now gone.

Canshop.com was briefly here for a while and had some good deals, but is now gone.

A&B Sound has been good, but with recent events might be gone.

I've had a bad experience the one time I tried to use dvd boxoffice in ordering the Wizard of Oz giftset preorder. Ask others who did so as well and they will all tell you to avoid them.

I had reasonable luck with videoflicks.com at getting some of the cheap Canadian-only releases, though those took a while to come out.

You might also try totalactionuniverse.com which has had good deals on things like the X Files Season 3, etc.
Old 05-24-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try HMV with Garageband... it takes down the price quite a bit, but of course, most of their DVD's are special orders so the quickest I got one was 3-4 weeks. Even now, they won't ship me a DVD that came out in April since their distributor can't get it... but with Garageband, the prices are somewhat hard to beat.
Old 05-24-01, 11:58 PM

Try cnl.com as well.
Old 05-25-01, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the sites out.
Old 05-26-01, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Feneant
Try HMV with Garageband... it takes down the price quite a bit, but of course, most of their DVD's are special orders so the quickest I got one was 3-4 weeks. Even now, they won't ship me a DVD that came out in April since their distributor can't get it... but with Garageband, the prices are somewhat hard to beat.
Yes, with the Garagband and Mountain Dew coupons you can't go wrong.

I don't agree with your statement from the special orders tho. I bought 12 DVDs from them so far and maybe 30% of them were special orders, but it could be luck (and I should add that I have "general" tastes, I am not interested in foreign movies... well US movies are foreign to me but you know what I mean!). Some special orders like Blade took 2 days before being shipped (no a big deal IMO). I do have to admit that some took much more time (Mummy UE, a NEW release, took 6 days before being shipped, I was about to cancel it).

But I like them because they are FAST. I make most of my orders Sunday and they ship the same day (yes, even on Sunday!) and I get the orders Tuesday (1 time I even got it Monday)