Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix vs. Blockbuster's 30 movies 30 days

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix vs. Blockbuster's 30 movies 30 days

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was wondering what your guys opinions were on the two services. Which is better? Netflix unlimited for $20 or Blockbuster's 30 movies in 30 days for $20? Now that I am on summer vacation, I have a lot of movies to watch!

Ari
Old 05-24-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Do a combo.
Netflix has a great selection of obscure, hard to find titles that Blockbuster (as of yet) doesn't carry. Plus, on those extra-loaded discs, you have a bit more time (actually as much as you want) to watch the special features. If you keep your Netflix rental queue full, you can juggle the priority of available titles. For $19.95, you get to have 3 titles out a time. Just be sure to factor in mail delivery, which for me (in Chicago) averages about 4 days, one way.
Use Blockbuster for current titles.

Don't forget your library. Many library systems offer one-week free 'rentals' on dvds. I've recently borrowed 'Titus', 'Jaws', 'Triumph Of The Will' and 'The X-Files: Season One' - all for free.

Old 05-24-01, 02:54 PM

Blockbuster - over here at least, you are required to watch a movie every night, and return it the following day to get your 30 titles in. That means a trip to BB every single day (blah). If you live across the street, that wouldn't be bad, but my BB's slim selection of DVD's combined with its distance from me reduces my 30 DVD's down to like 15 or less.

Still not a bad deal, but I'd be renting pure junk after day 10 or so (good titles already check out, etc) Oh look, BattleField Earth! ;(
Old 05-25-01, 09:14 PM

I actaully do live practically across the street from Blockbuster, and am a Rewards Gold member. I guess it would pay off, but I'd have to watch the movie that night. Plus, I doubt I can find 30 movies in 30 days (I used to work for Blockbuster before college, so I saw most of the older films I want to). Netflix though, seems to take awhile. I signed up for a two week trial, Its been a week and a day, I saw all three movies, and am waiting for the next ones... I am going to cancel Netflix before the trial ends, as I am going away for a little anyway.

I guess I can try Blockbuster for one month, and then Netflix light (I don't think it's work the extra $6 for one more movie at a time.... like I said, I am a Blockbuster Rewards Gold member).

Ari
Old 05-30-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I considered joining the Blockbuster deal, since it is only 2 blocks away from my house. However, there were all sorts of recent titles they don't even stock! And they only carry 1-2 copies of some of the "hot" new releases. Plus the fact that you can only rent one title per day really blows. When it comes to rentals, I prefer Hollywood Video, where I can pick up 2-3 titles, and watch them at my leisure over the next 5 days.
Perhaps I should consider Netflix, but I have some hesitations about mail rentals. What happens if it gets lost in either direction? Is it just my word against theirs?
Old 05-30-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Movie_Man

Perhaps I should consider Netflix, but I have some hesitations about mail rentals. What happens if it gets lost in either direction? Is it just my word against theirs?
In six months, I've only had one title get 'lost' coming from Netflix. (I received an envelope with no cd). I contacted Customer Service, and a replacement of the same title was shipped the next day. About three weeks later the 'lost' disc was returned to Netflix.
Old 05-30-01, 11:37 AM

Perhaps I should consider Netflix
I was a member for three or four months. Their lost DVD policy is very good, and if they just had newer titles IN STOCK once in a while I'd still be a member. You really should give Netflix a try for a couple months and see if you like or not. Luckily, they don't require a year commitment or other nonsense.
Old 05-30-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by arimaas
Blockbuster's 30 movies in 30 days for $20?

Is Blockbuster's deal supposed to be 30 movies for $20? I drove by the Blockbuster near my hosue today and they had a big sign advertising 30 movies for $30.
Old 06-04-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GJKowal
Originally posted by arimaas
Blockbuster's 30 movies in 30 days for $20?

Is Blockbuster's deal supposed to be 30 movies for $20? I drove by the Blockbuster near my hosue today and they had a big sign advertising 30 movies for $30.
It is a little confusing. Inside, my BB had the sign for 30 DVD's for $19.99 and outside they had the stick-ups for 30 movies for $30. The latter must be VHS which is funny but then again more movies are out on VHS.
Old 06-04-01, 07:50 PM

Re: the Blockbuster deal. $30 for 30 rentals, is for games, DVDs or VHS. $20 for 30 DVDs is for just that, 30 DVDs.

On a seperate note, if you use Netflix for a month, you seem to get about 10 rentals a month out of it, providing you return everything the next day. Now that's the same price for Blockbusters 30 for $20 deal, while at the most you can only get 1/3 of the ammount of rentals. Blockbuster does seem to have enough copies of the new releases, it's just the lazyness of having to go to the store after a long day of work vs. just going to the mailbox, take it out, pop it in the player and plop down on the couch.

Ari
Old 06-13-01, 04:02 PM

30 for $20.00

I think it is a great deal now that you can take 2 a night. Fortunatly, the one that I rent from has a super selection, I am in my 3rd month and I am more than getting my moneys worth..plus I have seen some movies that I wouldn't have rented (or payed money for). So far there has been just 2 movies that I have looked for that they didn't stock. The only downside is that it is good at just one store, a small price to pay.
Old 06-24-01, 04:46 AM

Re: 30 for $20.00

Originally posted by Phil Pugliese
I think it is a great deal now that you can take 2 a night.
Wow, did anyone else know the policy changed on how many you can have out? I am willing to try it if it's 2 out. One of my local BB's just increased their DVD stock dramatically.