Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

GEOFF: What's with the risque "FIVE STAR" ads

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

GEOFF: What's with the risque "FIVE STAR" ads

Old 05-06-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geoff,

I remember back with Five Star (adult DVDs) first started advertising at this site, you received some complaints about the "adult" nature of the ads. You said that you had discussed it with them, and came to an agreement to keep the ads vague and tasteful (or something to that effect).

This weekend, I've noticed a few different banner ads from them... with quite a bit of skin:

I'm not a prude and I have no issue with adult sites advertising anywhere they wish, including this site... but I also realize that some people like to access your site at work or perhaps at home with children around and these ads definitely cause problems with that.

Did these just slip by, or has the DVDTalk/Five Star adult ad policy changed?

Thanks...
Old 05-07-01, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They don't look very risque to me. The girls are clothed and the language is without profanity.
Old 05-07-01, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I wish they showed more boobies.
Old 05-07-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by damn_skippy
I wish they showed more boobies.
I agree,
Old 05-07-01, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FREEJG
They don't look very risque to me. The girls are clothed and the language is without profanity.
They're not that "saucy", but IIRC the general policy of the forum with respect to adverts has always been to keep everything on the main pages "workplace clean", i.e. nothing that'd get you in trouble if your boss walked past your cube and saw it on your monitor. And while those ads are reasonably tame, people have probably had their knuckles rapped over "sexual harrassment" and "creating a hostile workplace for women" or some b*ll*cks like that for equally tame stuff.
Old 05-07-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't they only appear after a certain time, as in 11pm at night or something? I thought I read something like that... so the little kiddies won't see 'em.
Old 05-07-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Autotelik
Don't they only appear after a certain time, as in 11pm at night or something? I thought I read something like that... so the little kiddies won't see 'em.
If that's true then cool. I also think the ads are tame, but if my boss walked by and saw that on my screen I'd be embarrassed becuase by first glance it looks like you're somewhere you shouldn't be. They're not explicite, but they're definitely suggestive.
Old 05-07-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, I would think that the mere fact that you were using a company computer for something other then company work would make a boss mad, nevermind the content.
As for children seing those banners...I suspect if you kept your child in a dark basement, with no contact to the outside world and never wore anything less then clothes that cover every inch of skin, they might seem 'confused' about what they are seeing.
I have no problem with them, but then again I am not against seeing scantily clad women, either.
Old 05-07-01, 11:04 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
squishy is good