Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Receiver under $300?......small reward!!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Receiver under $300?......small reward!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-01, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some unexpected money and great luck has enabled me to get a new receiver. I am looking to get a Receiver with DTS, 2 optical inputs and S-video inputs. I checked out pricescan.com and I know I can try and pricematch at Sears but there seems to be quite a few choices. So I am looking for some of your guys' expert opinouns. It actually is kind of a time oriented decision so quick replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much fo your help. Also this may not be a big deal but I have one of those Verizon GC's for the person who can help me or a 10 off $50 at JC Penney. Just to spice it up!
Old 05-04-01, 06:02 AM
Cool New Member

jvc rx8010vbk
Old 05-04-01, 08:01 AM

Look at the JVC's and Denons at ubid.com. Also look at Spidergear.com for 'refurbished'.

Old 05-04-01, 09:31 AM

I am looking more towards new stuff. I have this fear of getting something used and three months, it falls apart. I have to admit though I don't understand the refurbished thing. Keep the comments coming. Thanks
Old 05-04-01, 09:41 AM

Pioneer 509S

It's the best receiver for the money, you can get it for $199. Use the $100 left over for some good cables.
Old 05-04-01, 10:16 AM

Pioneer

Where did you find this for $199. I looked on price scan and it is $229. This seems to have everything I want, 2 optical, DTS, and Svideo. Anyone else have good luck with this receiver.
Old 05-04-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for the Pioneer. I have the VSX-409 (No s-video switching) and it rocks. The 509 as mentioned above has s-video.
Old 05-04-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JVC RX8000VBK $299.99

"Ready for a high power receiver without the high power price? JVC's RX-8000VBK offers 120 Watts x 2, or 100 Watts x 5 with Dolby® Digital & DTS Decoding built-in. And for extras, the 8000VBK offers 4 S-Video inputs, 4 Digital Audio inputs, On-Screen Display & a multi-brand remote control."

http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...arch=RX8000VBK
Old 05-04-01, 11:15 AM

Re: Pioneer

Originally posted by jhiter24
Where did you find this for $199. I looked on price scan and it is $229. This seems to have everything I want, 2 optical, DTS, and Svideo. Anyone else have good luck with this receiver.
I got it from Fry's Electronics. Not sure if you have Fry's where you live, but check Best Buy, and Circuit City, or even Crutchfield.
Old 05-04-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i have the 509 as well. most pleased.

if the AWESOME learning remote isn't important to you, the 409 is pretty much the same thing...

good luck!
Old 05-04-01, 01:57 PM

Originally posted byMichaelBlanton
Look at the JVC's and Denons at ubid.com. Also look at Spidergear.com for 'refurbished'.

Originally posted by jhiter24
I am looking more towards new stuff. I have this fear of getting something used and three months, it falls apart. I have to admit though I don't understand the refurbished thing. Keep the comments coming. Thanks
Just to clarify, "refurbished" certainly does not mean "used". Refurbished products are those that either never leave, or get sent back to the factory after little/no use and are reengineered back to factory specifications. In many cases, refurbished products are actually BETTER than non-refurbs because the company manually goesthrough with a toothpick and checks everything in the product. Some refurb products are actually just a part of company protocol. For instance, as it was explained to me by a dealer, Marantz pulls every tenth receiver it makes off production lines automatically, just to look it over, test it, and make sure it is ok. Because of this, it has to be labeled as "refurbished" or "B stock", but there is absotlutely nothing wrong with it, it is not used, and it may be in better shape than a reciever that goes directly to retail. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but you can get some good deals with refurb gear if you can find a reputable dealer. I have a refurb Marantz receiver (9 months old) and have had other refurb gear in the past and I've had absolutely no problems with anything, plus I paid far less than I would have for "new". Just a thought... good luck.
Old 05-04-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony STR-DB930 or STR-DB940. Should be about $300.

I have the 930 and it is INCREDIBLE, especially for the price. Check out the reviews at http://www.audioreview.com.
Old 05-05-01, 12:34 PM

Pioneer 509 it is

I am sending the $5 Amazon to you Egbok. This looks like it will complete my system nicely. I do have a question anyone can answer it for me. I had sold my old Kenwood VR 357 Receiver on fleabay earlier but the person backed out after the auction. I just want like $100 for this. What is the best place to get rid of this. It is less than a year and is in great condition. I just need two optical instead of two coax and svideo. Thanks for any extra help. I will throw that JC Penney coupon if anyone can help me on this.
Old 05-05-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While not the Best receiver, this seems to be a pretty good deal.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=Current_Price
Old 05-06-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Onkyo TX-DS494.

Available online for around $299 at OneCall, J&R, etc. It has everything you need plus the new Dolby Pro-Logic II decoding.