Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

$5 Amazon Promo giveaways

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

$5 Amazon Promo giveaways

Old 04-17-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have noticed at least two threads with more to follow i am sure giving away $5 promo gift certificates. I just bet they are referral gc's since the quantity is 10 in one thread and 20 in another.

Is this allowed in the Dvd Bargain forum now?

I always assumed that this was not allowed since the people giving them away benefit from the use of the certs.

just wanted to know.
Old 04-17-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
dude... you missed this one:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=101186

make that 3

Old 04-17-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i was just talking about in the last day. It was strange because Randyc saw the threads since I saw him close a duplicate thread and close the main thread when the person had sent out all 20 referral gc's and people were still posting in the thread.

I just thought it was strange. Maybe it is allowed now. If so I guess we should all take turns sending out promos from the amazon friends referral program .

I did like what Randyc said when he closed it

Deal is over. Closing thread.

randyc

[Edited by gcribbs on 04-17-01 at 07:53 PM]
Old 04-17-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would be willing to bet that it is definitely not allowed. The forum would be cluttered with referrals if that were to happen. There's still no proof that the two you referred to were refer-a-friend GCs... unless the people who received one say so... but the one i pointed out was definitely a referral-fest...cloaked under a facade of generosity of course.

Old 04-17-01, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not understand the "promo" concept, how does it work and how was the original poster benefiting?
Old 04-18-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it was a referral thread...I missed that. I know you can refer new people to Amazon, right? But how does it work that someone can give away certificates to email addresses, that it's almost a sure thing have shopped at Amazon?

Enlighten me.

P.S. I admit to being ignorant...I am from Other. I don't do much in the Bargains threads anymore...just trying to help out.
Old 04-18-01, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by randyc
If it was a referral thread...I missed that. I know you can refer new people to Amazon, right? But how does it work that someone can give away certificates to email addresses, that it's almost a sure thing have shopped at Amazon?

Enlighten me.

P.S. I admit to being ignorant...I am from Other. I don't do much in the Bargains threads anymore...just trying to help out.
They set up email addresses that are new(hotmail,yahoo) email referral gc to them then give them away to people. I used one once and it let me although I had placed about 50 orders with amazon. From what I understand you can only use one referral gift certificate per email account. I do know people saying that they just email them to themselves at a new email address and set up a new account each time.

I also am not sure if you really can only use one per account since I have never tried it except the one I got. I guess someone could let us all know or Geoff could get an answer from Amazon.

The two incidents seemed strange because it was not a single $5 gc but $50-$100 dollars worth and since the max referrals in a year is 20 it just seemed to match, 20 in one case and another 10 in another.

It just worried me that this could become a trend with people saying they are giving away $5 promos and then benefiting from them when they are used since they get a $5 gc back for each one used.
Old 04-18-01, 11:44 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It probably is a referral, but as long as Geoff isn't going to get in trouble I don't think it's a big deal. Giving away GC's isn't annonying, unlike the usual referral posts whith people saying "here's my e-mail address, refer me." If there get to be a ton of them, we could have a "One and Only Amazon GC giveaway thread." This is, of course, assuming that it is legal to give them away on a public forum. I see no sense in banning something that is beneficial to members, rather than detrimental like most referral posts.