Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How long before "The Weakest Link" gets old and off the air?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How long before "The Weakest Link" gets old and off the air?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-01, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long do you think the new TV game show"The Weakest Link" will get old and off the air?Predictions on how long this show will last?Or will it be around for too long like "Who wants to be a Millioanire"?

Your thoughts on this new TV game show?
Old 04-17-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this one will last awhile. Atleast a year considering the actors strike is likely coming soon. However, the show definitely has some annoying qualities such as the interviews and the lame sound effects
Old 04-17-01, 05:19 PM

Hopefully soon....
Old 04-17-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I enjoyed watching this show last night, although I found it to be a bit too bitter. The interviews made it too much like a "reality show." Also, I think the music was mixed in too loud. Some friends of mine had trouble understanding the host. Other than that, it wasn't too bad. I'll probably watch it again.
Old 04-17-01, 07:58 PM

I find the show pretty amusing...but I agree with the fact that people are a little bitter when they get voted off. I think that voting strategies might start to get complicated or if people try to team up to take out stronger brains before the final round.
Old 04-17-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by csteak101
I find the show pretty amusing...but I agree with the fact that people are a little bitter when they get voted off. I think that voting strategies might start to get complicated or if people try to team up to take out stronger brains before the final round.
Yeah, but a lady named Kim, who is on the show, was interviewed on the radio today in Dallas. She said that the bitterness is a part of it. You're supposed to act that way when you get voted off. It might still get annoying, but it could also be fun to see what they can think up to say
Old 04-17-01, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the show could be around for a while. According to EMOnline, the it won it's time slot, the first Monday 8-9pm victory for NBC since March of 1999 (over 2 years). It also showed a 73% increase over the previous week's Dateline NBC, and had a healthy adult 18-34 rating. NBC is also considering Richard Hatch to host a syndicated version of the show they hope to launch for the 2001-02 season.

Click the link above for more info on the show's performance last night.
Old 04-18-01, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I really enjoy it. The bitterness is pretty stupid. It's like watching some crappy Real World episode. Just boot them and get on with it.
Old 04-18-01, 06:35 PM

Anything to get Dateline NBC off the air. God I hate that show.
Old 04-18-01, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kvrdave
I really enjoy it. The bitterness is pretty stupid. It's like watching some crappy Real World episode. Just boot them and get on with it.
I agree; however, last night the people were pretty weak. I think they should do the statistical weakest/strongest link on a CUMULATIVE basis....
Old 04-19-01, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That host only makes me want to hate English people even more.
Old 04-19-01, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is shallow but am I the only one that thought Margaret on tonights show was cute? Brains AND Beauty.
Old 04-19-01, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by who me?
This is shallow but am I the only one that thought Margaret on tonights show was cute? Brains AND Beauty.
Was she the one who thought 20% of 180 is 60?

That's almost as bad as sqrt(121) = 27, like on last night's show.
Old 04-19-01, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally posted by who me?

No. Just beauty. I have never seen a more nervous contestent on a game show.

As for those interviews after they get voted off, it seems like they feed them those lines about the other people.

Also, look for this show to continue. NBC is going to need programming for the upcoming writer's strike.
Old 04-19-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally posted by csteak101
It's complicated... yes, voting off the smart ones give YOU a better chance at winning, but if the smarties are gone and only dumbasses are left, the winner's $$$ pot will never amount to anything.
Old 04-19-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
It's complicated... yes, voting off the smart ones give YOU a better chance at winning, but if the smarties are gone and only dumbasses are left, the winner's $$$ pot will never amount to anything.
Good point. That's why the 7th round (when only two people are left) is worth DOUBLE so that the contestants will keep the stronger link. Last night, they wound up getting $0 in the 7th round.

I don't think we'll ever see anything remotely close to a $1 million winner in this show.
Old 04-19-01, 10:14 AM

Anybody else notice the little disclaimer at the end of last night's show? It said contestants are free to talk to each other before the show and are allowed to share strategies and form alliances. It'll be interesting to see how the politics of the game emerge in the coming weeks.
Old 04-19-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute
That host only makes me want to hate English people even more.
Haha, me too. Do we really want an English host coming to America and insulting Americans? If I were her, I'd watch my back. She should not be a gameshow host. It should be left to people like Reege who were born to do it..... this host is so freakin annoying. If they were going to bring someone in to act like that, why not make it a hot girl or something?
Old 04-19-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Why did we need that British host? The contestants can't even understand her and a woman the other night lost because she misunderstood the question.

America has it's own bitter middle aged bitch who can yell at contestants... JUDGE JUDY!!!
Old 04-19-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it last night and I loved it. Anne is a great host and anyone who couldn't understand her needs their ears checked. Btw, I didn't find the catchphrase annoying at all.
Old 04-19-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How many times did she say either:

"Now let's play...theweaklink!"

or

"You're...theweakestlink...goodbye"

It was too much! Her s's really sound harsh and not so pleasing to the ears.
Old 04-19-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She kind of reminds me of a female version of that weird guy who hosted "Inquizition" on the Game Show Network.

"Please..leave....now...!"
Old 04-19-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
She kind of reminds me of a female version of that weird guy who hosted "Inquizition" on the Game Show Network.

"Please..leave....now...!"

That guy rocks! Reminded me of some of my law school professors. He is so much better than the Link woman.
Old 04-19-01, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
It should be left to people like Reege who were born to do it..... this host is so freakin annoying
Oh come on. The host of a game show needs to be able to read... or at least feign intelligence. Regis just drives me up the wall with his frequent slip-ups, as well as his phony banter with the contestants that comes straight from cue cards. I'd prefer Anne any day.
Old 04-19-01, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

[Edited by Robert on 04-19-01 at 03:01 PM]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.