Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

I just watched my first anime movie!

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

I just watched my first anime movie!

Old 04-30-24, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: I just watched my first anime movie!

Originally Posted by cultshock
But boy, Battle of the Planets was the big one for me and my friends in the late 70s, we loved that show and desparately wished there were BOTP toys (lucky Japanese kids got a shitload!).
Same, I think BotP was my introduction to anime as well. The character and mecha animation was so different and utterly fascinating in comparison to typical fare like Hanna-Barbera, Filmation, etc. That probably led to my Great Mazinga (Shogun Warriors) jumbo figure -- I wish I still had that toy!

First anime movie may have been Starbirds (1982), a condensed dubbed version of Tosho Daimos anime series which I watched for the Animation Challenge last year. After that Warriors of the Wind (1985), the dubbed version of Nausicaa, and several Manga Entertainment releases on VHS.

First anime movie in Japanese with subtitles was Macross Plus: Movie Edition. That's when Best Buy had a whole row dedicated to anime on VHS.
Old 04-30-24, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Same, I think BotP was my introduction to anime as well. The character and mecha animation was so different and utterly fascinating in comparison to typical fare like Hanna-Barbera, Filmation, etc. That probably led to my Great Mazinga (Shogun Warriors) jumbo figure -- I wish I still had that toy!
I still have my Great Mazinga jumbo (along with my Godzilla and Gaiking jumbos) Got him for my 10th birthday (although at the time I had no idea who the character was) and still have him 46 years later (and only lost 2 of his 14 missiles). Those were the best toys ever, 2 foot tall robots that shot missiles, what could be cooler to a 10 year old boy? I was big into the 8" Mego action figures when I was a kid, and would have loved the 8" BotP figure that Japanese kids got:

Old 04-30-24, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

I was always obsessed with the fact that Great Mazinger Jumbo Machinder, mainly because they released it here without a regular hand but with a missile launcher instead and I couldn't imagine why. I had the Mazinger Z manga where he shows up at the end and my mind was reeling... did he get his rocket punch hand damaged and he needed that missile launcher? But it was just the toy.

It's still kind of unbelievable to me that they adapted and released Tranzor Z in the US 13 years after Mazinger Z aired in Japan (and then never put out any US toys) but I guess the animation was still good enough to stand out in the 80s.
Old 04-30-24, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I still have my Great Mazinga jumbo (along with my Godzilla and Gaiking jumbos) Got him for my 10th birthday (although at the time I had no idea who the character was) and still have him 46 years later (and only lost 2 of his 14 missiles). Those were the best toys ever, 2 foot tall robots that shot missiles, what could be cooler to a 10 year old boy? I was big into the 8" Mego action figures when I was a kid, and would have loved the 8" BotP figure that Japanese kids got:

Nice! Kudos for having it all of these years.

My second lunch box in grade school. Another item I wish I still had.
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

First one for me was probably Akira, which I hated but everyone else loves.
Old 05-01-24, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 836 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
well, i definitely liked Suzume better than Your Name. but, i did download 3 songs from Your Name. as they just sounded so good. i have the Cartoon Saloon's Irish Folklore Trilogy. Anyone have this? any good?
The animation is quite interesting in Cartoon Saloon's Irish Folklore Trilogy, kind of what I imagine Disney would be doing today if they had stuck with traditional animation. The films themselves are a little too all-ages for me, obviously produced with younger audiences in mind than most non-Ghibli anime fare. But children should enjoy them.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
First one for me was probably Akira, which I hated but everyone else loves.
Akira is beautiful but I still think it's almost incomprehensible as a standalone movie. When paired with the manga, it's a masterpiece, though.
Old 05-01-24, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was always obsessed with the fact that Great Mazinger Jumbo Machinder, mainly because they released it here without a regular hand but with a missile launcher instead and I couldn't imagine why. I had the Mazinger Z manga where he shows up at the end and my mind was reeling... did he get his rocket punch hand damaged and he needed that missile launcher? But it was just the toy.
Yeah, for the Japanese Jumbos the missile launching hand was an accessory sold separately (same with Raydeen's launching fist and Dragun's star shooter). I guess Mattel wanted to add value for the toys (although they completely bastardized their versions of the Gaiking and Daimos jumbos, the Popy versions are way better than the Mattel ones). Moving to Jumbo Machinder talk! (and boy, talk about some expensive vintage Japanese toys, a lot of them are worth a fortune now!).