Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

One Piece: 1st global character popularity contest

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I realize it's not too big here, but One Piece just reached it's 1000th chapter. Surprisingly (to me) they put in a huge full color ad in the NYT along with an article about the first global popularity contest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...rk_times_page/

Popularity contest in english:
https://onepiecewt100.com/en/

I've been rewatching the first few seasons with my kids (first time for them) and while it's painstakingly slow at times they love it. I'm trying to get my daughter to catch up to the current arc in the SJ app but 1000 chapters is a lot to go through...

Netflix is still producing the upcoming live action TV show (from the US).
Old 01-04-21, 08:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts
Re: One Piece: 1st global character popularity contest

https://onepiecewt100.com/en/world-hot-characters has current rankings for each region as well (Asia, Oceania, North America, Japan, Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, Africa).
Old 02-20-21, 08:12 AM
WTK

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...d-term-results

One Piece World Top 100 Character Popularity Contest Reveal Mid-Term Results

The One Piece global character popularity poll is nearing its end, with only one more week to go. To get fans of the swashbuckling manga series pumped up for the final week, the official website for the World Top 100 has released the mid-term results for the campaign in the first ONE PIECE TIMES video featuring fans of Eiichiro Odo's series from around the world!

The above ONE PIECE TIMES video, which was hosted by popular Japanese comedians Kamaitachi, and features One Piece fans from five different countries, including the United States, Russia, Germany, Turkey, and Indonesia, reveals the WT100 preliminary results and analyses the votes from fans across the globe.

Topping the preliminary results (as of January 31) at first place is none other than the stretchy man himself Luffy, with crewmates Zoro and Sanji coming in second and third. Fourth is Straw Hats ally Trafalgar Law, and in fifth place is Ace. The rest of the top 100 preliminary results can be found in the video above!

Voting continues through the next week, ending on February 28 at 6:59 AM Pacific Time. Votes can be cast once a day on the WT100 website, so get out there and make your favorite character the King of the WT100!
Old 05-05-21, 06:42 PM
WTK

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2021...lts-revealedAt the beginning of the year, Shueisha launched its One Piece World Top 100 popularity poll, which would tally votes from across the world to determine the most popular characters of Eiichiro Oda’s One Piece, standing as the first worldwide popularity poll of the series — and, just in time for Luffy’s birthday, the results are finally in.

Surprising no one, four of the first Straw Hats made the top four: Luffy at number 1 (duh), followed by Zoro at number 2, Nami at number 3 and Sanji at number 4 — the order they joined the crew, no less! Trafalgar D. Law took up the fifth spot, remaining in the top five even while considering the popularity of the other Straw Hats.
Nico Robin and Boa Hancock came in at numbers 6 and 7, with Carrot taking a surprise spot (perhaps the biggest surprise of the top 10, since she didn’t break the top ten in Japan) at number 8, Ace and Sabo taking the 9th and 10th spots.

Another surprise was Yamato, who quickly became a fan favorite, which was reflected in their position in the top 20, taking rank 11, as well as Chopper, often a massive fan favorite (because he’s adorable), who only took rank 16 — though top 20 is nothing to scoff at.
Other noteworthy rankings in the top 100 include Vivi coming in at rank 21, the Going Merry taking spot 32 (are boats considered characters?), Woop Slap taking spot 37, Blackbeard only taking rank 48, many of the Land of Wano characters being amongst the top 60, the massive upset of Karoo only making it to rank 75, and supporting characters like Bellemere making it into the top 100.

Both because fan favorites made high rankings and because of some upsets and surprises, the results have proven to be quite the hot topic amongst One Piece fans across the world. You can check out all top 100 characters here!

Did your favorite characters make the top 20? Or the top 50? Who got robbed and who’s overrated, you can decide for yourself with the top 100 results below!

Additionally, the poll goes up to rank 200, so you can see the full results below:

Old 05-06-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Of course boats are characters, don't be silly.

I don't understand Boa's popularity. Well, maybe I understand it, but she is criminally high and Chopper is way too low. Also the two leading candidates for next official crewmember, Carrot and Yamato, are really high, especially Carrot.

Also Bon Clay at 22, what in the world? Even Eneru, the antagonist of what is still one of the worst arcs, at 35, and then 37 was the first character I saw who I don't even remember the name of.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-15-21)