Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony's Funimation Global Group acquires Crunchyroll (update: Funimation to unify under Crunchyroll brand)

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Sony's Funimation Global Group acquires Crunchyroll (update: Funimation to unify under Crunchyroll brand)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Crunchyroll For Sale

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Thats kinda my point, I wonder if Crunchyroll would start releasing dvd's using its title. I would think streaming would mostly be the same.
Unless the media publication rights were part of the streaming package, and Crunchyroll was just sitting on them, I don't think much will change in this area beyond what was originally planned to be published. Depending on how the dub license works, maybe more dubs? I guess we'll see.
Old 12-11-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Unless the media publication rights were part of the streaming package, and Crunchyroll was just sitting on them, I don't think much will change in this area beyond what was originally planned to be published. Depending on how the dub license works, maybe more dubs? I guess we'll see.
yes like "Konosuba - God’s blessing on this wonderful world!!" is licensed by Crunchyroll but Discotek released the dvd. They would be able to release dvd's themselves now, also like "Maiden Japan" is related to "Sentai Filmworks"

Last edited by chrisc31; 12-12-20 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I suspect it will all be consolidated under one brand. It would not surprise me if Crunchyroll's streaming service is rebranded.
Old 12-16-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I suspect it will all be consolidated under one brand. It would not surprise me if Crunchyroll's streaming service is rebranded.
I can't see Crunchyroll name going away. I would rather see Funimation use Crunchyroll as there main streaming website and even release some dvds under the Crunchyroll brand.
Old 12-16-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

No way is that happening. They're smart enough to know what brand recognition is. Plus they own so many other services that they didn't consolidate.

FUNimation (or Sony) now owns FUNimation, AnimeLab, Crunchyroll, VRV, Wakanim, and AnimeOnDemand.

Practically the only anime-dedicated streaming service not owned by them at this point is HIDIVE.
Old 03-03-21, 12:26 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Crunchyroll's updating their website. Here's the beta version:

https://beta.crunchyroll.com/
Old 03-24-21, 11:05 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts

http://4NN.cx/.171049 https://www.theinformation.com/artic...ntitrust-probe
Report: U.S. Justice Department Extends Antitrust Review of Sony's Proposed Acquisition of Crunchyroll

Review seeks to determine if deal would give Sony dominance over anime streaming

Technology website The Information reported on Wednesday that the U.S. Justice Department has extended its antitrust review of Sony's proposed US$1.175 billion acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T. The Information notes that the review, which seeks to determine if the deal would give Sony dominance over anime streaming, could delay the sale by several months and could also potentially kill it.

Justice Department attorneys are reviewing the deal to see if it would give Japanese animation studios fewer options to distribute shows in the U.S. The Information adds that the review could take six months or longer, and that if the department does not approve the merger, it could sue to block it.

[...]
Old 03-25-21, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man I hope they continue to put out curated Crunchyroll stuff on HBO Max while this is in limbo.

As an aside, I know some people were concerned about this before but I'm really surprised that they would seriously consider blocking this on dominance over a niche, especially considering Netflix is still licensing anime and, if they wanted to, pretty much any streaming service can (with Amazon seemingly getting out only because it wasn't making financial sense for them). It seems like there are still options to distribute anime outside of Sony, the only caveat being if the studios signed exclusivity agreements, which is kind of on them?

I mean just for anime streaming alone there's still HiDive and RetroCrush.
Old 03-26-21, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More or less positive it was another Hollywood studio that likely had the Justice Department step in at this late stage. They don't like Sony having that much control over anime. There's a growing belief in Hollywood that anime is on the verge of becoming massive in the West and rivals don't like ceding that much power to Sony. Western animation is collapsing as children turn away from television to games, so anime is important as a source of content.

Old 03-26-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More or less positive it was another Hollywood studio that likely had the Justice Department step in at this late stage. They don't like Sony having that much control over anime. There's a growing belief in Hollywood that anime is on the verge of becoming massive in the West and rivals don't like ceding that much power to Sony. Western animation is collapsing as children turn away from television to games, so anime is important as a source of content.
I get that it's political maneuvering, I just don't see how this particular sale gives Sony any kind of monopoly, unless Crunchyroll just has super long exclusive contracts with a ton of studios or something. Nothing is preventing another studio from licensing the next hot anime that is not already picked up, right? I can't think of another time a studio was accused of monopolizing a particular genre, much less something that's licensed from other studios abroad.
Old 08-09-21, 03:20 PM
WTK

https://www.sonypictures.com/corp/pr...chyrollfromatt
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sony’s Funimation Global Group Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T

CULVER CITY, CA AND DALLAS, TX, August 9, 2021 — Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. (SPE) and AT&T Inc.* (NYSE:T) today announced that SPE has completed its acquisition of AT&T’s Crunchyroll anime business through Funimation Global Group, LLC. Funimation is a joint venture between SPE and Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.’s subsidiary, Aniplex Inc. The agreement was first announced in December 2020.

Crunchyroll is a premier anime direct-to-consumer service with 5 million SVOD subscribers and growing. It serves 120 million registered users across more than 200 countries and territories offering AVOD, mobile games, manga, events merchandise and distribution. The deal provides the opportunity for Crunchyroll and Funimation to broaden distribution for their content partners and expand fan-centric offerings for consumers.

“We are very excited to welcome Crunchyroll to the Sony Group,” said Kenichiro Yoshida, Chairman, President and CEO, Sony Group Corporation. “Anime is a rapidly growing medium that enthralls and inspires emotion among audiences around the globe. The alignment of Crunchyroll and Funimation will enable us to get even closer to the creators and fans who are the heart of the anime community. We look forward to delivering even more outstanding entertainment that fills the world with emotion through anime.”

“Crunchyroll adds tremendous value to Sony’s existing anime businesses, including Funimation and our terrific partners at Aniplex and Sony Music Entertainment Japan,” said Tony Vinciquerra, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. “With Crunchyroll and Funimation, we are committed to creating the ultimate anime experience for fans and presenting a unique opportunity for our key partners, publishers, and the immensely talented creators to continue to deliver their masterful content to audiences around the world. With the addition of Crunchyroll, we have an unprecedented opportunity to serve anime fans like never before and deliver the anime experience across any platform they choose, from theatrical, events, home entertainment, games, streaming, linear TV -- everywhere and every way fans want to experience their anime. Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible.”

The purchase price for the transaction is $1.175 billion, subject to customary working capital and other adjustments, and the proceeds were paid in cash at closing. AT&T expects to use the proceeds from this transaction to help support its debt reduction efforts, with plans to reach a net debt-to-adjusted EBITDA of below 2.5x by year-end 2023.[1]
Old 08-09-21, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible.
I don't mind seeing everything brought under one tent. Between CR & Funi, they licensed pretty much everything. I just hope they continue that, and don't start passing on the smaller shows.
Old 08-09-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Last week T-Mobile was giving away a free 2 month subscription to Funimation (now the owners of Crunchyroll), but I decided to pass on it. Anime has never been really my cup of tea and I highly doubt I would watch it enough.
Old 08-09-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just wondering if my Funimation price is going to go up.
Old 08-09-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope FuniRoll license some animes for blu-ray release under the Crunchyroll brand. I don't see this as a bad thing, at least not yet, it depends if less shows gets licensed each season from now on.
Old 08-09-21, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm just wondering if my Funimation price is going to go up.
If they combine the services, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go up to at least $10/month. If they're going to license the same amount of shows the price could be in the $12-$15 range.
Old 08-09-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If they combine the services, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go up to at least $10/month. If they're going to license the same amount of shows the price could be in the $12-$15 range.
I don't see Crunchyroll name going away, Ever
Old 08-09-21, 04:24 PM

I wonder what'll happen to VRV. That's owned by Crunchyroll.

HiDive is part of the VRV bundle. They don't simulcast many shows. But they've got a great back catalog with lots of English Dubs, OVA's and Movies.

It would be nice if there was a bundle with Funi, CR and HiDive.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-11-21)
Old 08-09-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm guessing Crunchyroll content will soon be removed from HBO Max.
Old 08-09-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I wonder what'll happen to VRV. That's owned by Crunchyroll.

HiDive is part of the VRV bundle. They don't simulcast many shows. But they've got a great back catalog with lots of English Dubs, OVA's and Movies.

It would be nice if there was a bundle with Funi, CR and HiDive.
VRV was really cool when it came out a few years ago. But, now that they've slowly lost content, it's lost it's luster. That is unless you're a anime fan though.
John Pannozzi (08-11-21)
Old 08-09-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I don't see Crunchyroll name going away, Ever
I have a feeling it will be like the Vudu/Fandango merger where they just add Funimation to the logo and leave the name intact.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 08-09-21 at 05:56 PM. Reason: That post really blew up in my face somehow. lol.
Old 08-09-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Sony’s Funimation Global Group Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T

All of this is now owned by Sony in regards to anime worldwide:
Except AnimeNetwork, not sure why whoever compiled this image included it as it's owned by HIDIVE which is Sentai Filmworks.

Last edited by Koby; 08-09-21 at 08:39 PM.
John Pannozzi (08-11-21)
Old 08-09-21, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Sony’s Funimation Global Group Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T

Anime is too small of an industry for a corporate giant like Sony to own this much of it. Nothing good will come from this merger for consumers.
Old 08-10-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anime is too small of an industry for a corporate giant like Sony to own this much of it. Nothing good will come from this merger for consumers.
I've said this before, but they are the licensor/distributor for the most part not the owner/creator (obviously that's not for stuff like Aniplex). I don't see it as a monopoly as someone else can license "the next big thing."

Also if they tick off the anime community or raise prices really high or whatever, that would create quite an uproar and I doubt that would be good for them. But we'll see.
John Pannozzi (08-20-21)
Old 08-13-21, 02:18 PM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.176220

Crunchyroll confirmed with ANN on Friday that since Ellation's VRV bundle streaming service is a Crunchyroll brand, VRV is also now part of Sony following Sony's Funimation Global Group's acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.