Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

Old 03-02-19, 10:40 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th
SOMETHING LEGENDARY IS COMING...

It's been 30 years of Dragon Ball Z and we want to celebrate in the most perfect way - with you! With your help, we're going to make a collector's edition worthy of a series this big, happen. Here's a look at what you can expect from this epic collection:
  • The complete Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray with new bonus content
  • North America's first ever full-sized hardback artbook - available only in this set!
  • An exclusive collectible figure - not available anywhere else!
And there's so much more to come, but we can't do it without your help.

HOW THIS WORKS

In the coming weeks, we'll reveal full details of the set and open a reservation period for fans to reserve their copy of this must-have collector's edition. And while we'd like to just wish it into creation with the Dragon Balls, we're going to need at least 2,500 of you super fans to help make this happen!

We'll have full details and artwork to reveal soon - and you won't want to miss out! Be sure to keep up-to-date by signing up for emails.

F.A.Q.

WHY HOLD A RESERVATION CAMPAIGN?

Due to the high costs associated with the set, we need to guarantee a minimum number to print. We think a DBZ 30th anniversary set is an awesome idea, but we need to measure the interest!

WHY 2,500 UNITS?

This is the minimum build order for sets from our printers. This minimum makes sure that we can sell the product to you at an affordable price.

WHY ARE YOU HOSTING THIS HERE INSTEAD OF ON A PLATFORM LIKE KICKSTARTER?

The short answer? We aren't looking to crowdfund this set. We feel that Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding platforms are typically asking fans to fund the creation of new content, not something like a collector's edition which may be cool but isn't quite the same as new content. We love and support (and back!) lots of projects for new anime, new dubs, or new forays into the North American market, though!

IF THE SET DOESN'T HIT 2,500 UNITS, WILL IT REALLY NEVER BE CREATED?

We're holding ourselves to the commitment that your pledge actually means something and is more than a gesture, so if we don't hit the minimum, we will not create the set.
Old 03-03-19, 11:19 AM

Re: Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

If it's 4:3 AND the colors aren't fucked with, it's day 1 for me!
Old 03-04-19, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OutRun2 View Post
If it's 4:3 AND the colors aren't fucked with, it's day 1 for me!
Agreed. Easy decision based on these facts.
Old 03-04-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hard to believe they could milk more money out of me for this, but I'm probably in. I guess they're tactic of never quite matching the DVD Dragon Box release until (hopefully) now pays off for them.

Also a brilliant idea to rope in fans at full price. Honestly, if you don't care about the book or the figure, I'd just wait, if they go through with a remaster/4:3 HD version they're going to release it in a general release eventually, and you can get it at a discount. Or at least that's what I learned with stuff like Escaflowne (which was crowd funded, and I realize this is not, but I expect similar results).
Old 04-05-19, 12:31 PM
WTK

https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...n-bd-blr-00302 (currently notes November 5, 2019)

$349.99

THIS IS WHAT LEGENDS ARE MADE OF.

It's been 30 years of Dragon Ball Z and we want to celebrate in the most perfect way-with you! With your help, we're going to make a collector's edition worthy of a series this big, happen.

HOW IT WORKS
RESERVATION PERIOD:
When you make your reservation, you won't be charged but a credit card is required for pre-authorization.

To thank everyone for their support, those who reserve a set during the reservation period through Funimation will receive a special certificate of authenticity that is individually stamped and numbered!

What if there aren't 3,000 reservations?
The set will not be made, and your pre-authorization will expire. We understand that many fans are perfectly happy with their home video releases of Dragon Ball Z that were previously created and that's cool with us! But if we can't hit 3,000 reservations, we won't be able to create this collector's edition.

*Note: If you use a debit card for pre-authorization, it will be treated like a charge to your account. The funds will be withheld until the set is purchased or the authorization expires.

AFTER RESERVATION PERIOD:

What happens after the reservation period?
Following our reservation period, if we meet 3,000 reservations, all fans who reserved a set will be charged the full price of the order. Then the sets will be created! You can expect your order to ship before the holidays.

Is there a maximum number of units that can be fulfilled?
Yes! Due to manufacturing limits, we are only able to create a total of 6,000 sets.
CELEBRATE THE LEGACY!

Bring home a collector's edition of the most iconic series ever! Packed full of everything you could wish for...and more.
  • Entire Dragon Ball Z series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever
  • An exclusive 11-inch, 30th anniversary version, Grandista Goku collectible figure from Banpresto - not available anywhere else
  • Full-sized hardback artbook - available only in this set
  • Housed in a stunning collectible box featuring Shenron in a striking foil design.
  • Funimation reservations include an individually stamped and numbered Certificate of Authenticity

Last edited by WTK; 04-05-19 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I've changed my mind and will have to wait and see what the actual video looks like. People are saying there's bad DNR and cropping (still 4:3, but still not the complete image)
Old 04-05-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So I've changed my mind and will have to wait and see what the actual video looks like. People are saying there's bad DNR and cropping (still 4:3, but still not the complete image)
Yeah, far too expensive to buy sight unseen from a company not exactly known for their quality.
Old 04-07-19, 08:27 PM

Don't do it guys.

This release is getting TRASHED by several DB communities because of Funimations lack of respect for its fans, and word of mouth is spreading about how horrible this release is. They actually FURTHER cropping the image since the footage was proven to be the previous crappy 16:9 masters so they're cropping that one to fit it at 4:3. Hilarious.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/vie...623&start=1840
Old 04-07-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OutRun2 View Post
Don't do it guys.

This release is getting TRASHED by several DB communities because of Funimations lack of respect for its fans, and word of mouth is spreading about how horrible this release is. They actually FURTHER cropping the image since the footage was proven to be the previous crappy 16:9 masters so they're cropping that one to fit it at 4:3. Hilarious.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/vie...623&start=1840
The one thing I'll say is maybe the video in the promo was hastily put together and is not indicative of what is being released. But they don't seem to care to correct it, they'll easily hit the 3000 mark and I can't say I blame them for leaving something for the next hugely expensive set if fans will buy just about anything that's "limited." But yeah, unless/until they speak up about it, forget it, I still have the Dragon Boxes if I ever want to watch all the episodes again, and Kai up to and before the Buu saga is good enough for me for now.
Old 04-08-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's currently at 2400...I really hope it sits there unless they address the shit quality. I was all about this when I first heard, but then saw the screenshots and was an easy pass. Fucking get it right Funimation. God, it's not that hard.
Old 04-08-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So they're cropping the already cropped 16:9 frame back to a 4:3 frame? Sounds like not much of the frame would be left. Already ruined the image with too much DNR, saturation, contrast and tint adjustments.

Shame the only good version was canceled after two sets and yet they keep making things worse and worse.
Old 04-09-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This looks a bit more promising. I'll let the experts on other sites weigh in though.

Oh wait, they actually go through their process here:
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019...o-was-created/

Basically yeah it's way better than their cropped widescreen, but still cropped compared to the original 4:3 image. But they swear it's the best they can do. I dunno.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-09-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 06:50 PM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.145777
Answerman
Why Do Funimation's Dragon Ball Z Re-Releases Look Like That?

by Justin Sevakis, Apr 17th 2019

Several people asked:
I've seen promo material for Funimation's upcoming Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition Blu-ray boxed set, and it looks terrible! All of the film grain (and some detail) has been smeared away, the picture has been cropped, and the colors have been screwed with. Why does it look like this, and how does Funimation think they can get away with a release that looks this bad?

The video nerds among us have been abuzz about the new Dragon Ball Z boxed set, and not in a good way. While fans have been holding out hope for a Blu-ray release in the show's native 4x3 aspect ratio (the previous release was cropped to widescreen), the previews released so far gave the impression of a smudgy, overly-cleaned image with colors that seem a little off. And as fans are wont to do, they're making their displeasure known. Loudly.

I've taken a quick look at the screenshots Funimation provided of the native scans of the 16mm film elements they have, and frankly, I'm just very very happy that this isn't my problem. While I'm first to admit that Funimation's video quality doesn't always meet expectations, generally I find the level of rage that certain fans throw in their direction to be overblown. With that sort of discontentment brewing, there was simply no way they weren't going to get blowback on this release, no matter what they did.

When nearly all anime gets remastered in HD, the new film scan is done from the original camera negative, under the supervision of the show's original producer. However, Toei Animation has not done a new HD scan for Dragon Ball Z (at least, outside of what was used to make Dragon Ball Z Kai). Instead, Funimation is doing their own HD scan of COPIES of 16mm elements they've had in their possession for decades. It's exceedingly rare for an overseas publisher to get duplicated film elements these days, because it's very expensive to duplicate film. This basically only happened because Funimation got the show at the tail end of the era of adapting anime for US television, and film elements were used for that process once upon a time.

Anyway, it's impossible to copy film and get an exact duplicate of the original. Film is duplicated by using a special machine to sandwich unexposed film on top of the original, and carefully exposing the new film to light passing through the original, essentially taking a photo of it. Everything in that original film -- its image, its grain, any dirt stuck to the film, scratches, splices -- get exposed onto the new film stock.

The new film stock gets developed, and it will be the opposite of whatever it saw: if it was duplicated from a negative, it will come out positive, and vice versa. The duplicate will add its own grain and impurities. It will also be higher contrast and blurrier than the original. Every time you copy a film, it gets grainier, dirtier, blurrier, and higher contrast. The color will likely also shift a bit in difficult to predict ways, depending on the film stock and how it was duplicated and developed. This is how working with film has always been, and why those of us who work in post-production don't miss it at all.

16mm film is already grainy. What Funimation has to work with is at least a generation or two removed from the original camera negative. It's FAR blurrier and grainier than we'd expect of an HD image. It might look OK as a screenshot, but in motion it'd be very distracting. The folks on forums who say "grain is good" usually mean the grain to be a natural part of the image, but in this case it's not -- it's a byproduct of outdated means of duplicating film images.

And so they tried to remove it. Generational film grain doesn't just distort an image, it IS the image -- it's those grains of photochemical solids reacting to light exposure that make up the image on a piece of film. Degraining software analyzes the image and tries to find the "average" between neighboring areas and neighboring frames to figure out what's the intended image and what's grain or dirt. And in running that software on their copy-of-a-copy of Dragon Ball Z, they've revealed that the image, itself, is blurry as hell.

You can tell that it's the film elements because the Dragon Box, made from Toei's remaster of PROPER film elements, looks better. But it's in SD. 16mm straight from the camera may look OK, but after a generation or two, it looks like crap. I still have my old 16mm projector, and I never use it, because the last time I busted it out and projected something, I was aghast at how blurry, dirty and grainy it looked. It's simply not up to current visual standards.

Funimation had a choice for this edition of Dragon Ball Z, and they went with a choice that they thought would piss off the fewest number of fans. Could they have done something differently? Maybe used a setting on a filter that adds a faint copy of the original image on top of the filtered one, so SOME grain is retained? Made different choices for color correction? Sure. I'm not saying that the image they're presenting is perfect or their work here is DEFINITELY beyond reproach. Some of the issues people are pointing out, like the cropping, are arguable.

But the film transfer? It was never going to look good. It CAN never look good. The only way an HD remaster of Dragon Ball Z will ever look good is if Toei Animation goes back to the original camera negatives and does a proper HD scan of the proper elements themselves. But that's up to Toei. And until that happens, all Funimation can really do is put various kinds of lipstick on a pig.

Maybe next year they can release an upscaled Blu-ray Dragon Box.