Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Kemono Friends

Old 05-20-17, 02:18 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Kemono Friends

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this show.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/kemono-friends

When it first came out, I gave up after 3-4 minutes. The animation was awful. It seemed like a crappy kiddie show.

But after hearing so much about it, I decided to check it out. And I'm glad I gave it a second chance. It took a little while to get going, but after a few episodes, I couldn't wait to watch the next one.

Yes, it's a poorly animated kiddie show. But there's something so charming and relaxing about it. It makes my brain feel like warm butter. The characters are fun. Some of their antics are hilarious. And there's a background story that's really fascinating.

Anyways, it probably won't appeal to everyone. But if you're looking for something light to watch, check it out.
Old 05-23-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Kemono Friends

The backstory behind it is interesting, and it's understandable why the animation is so bad:

It was made simultaneously with a mobile game. The mobile game was so unpopular it died before the anime even aired.

The success of this comes on the heels of that NHK report talking about how 1/4 of anime studios are basically losing money despite the horrendous pay and working conditions animators are subject to (which also limits the number of people willing to go into the industry). So more bad CG on the way?

Last edited by fujishig; 05-23-17 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
The backstory behind it is interesting.
It's really an amazing story. I saw an interview with the Director, and he was shocked at how popular the show had become. In Japan, it blew away every other anime in the Winter 2017 season.

Old 06-18-17, 08:55 PM

Kemono Friends fighting game coming next month.

Old 07-24-17, 10:24 PM

Kemono Friends Confirms 2nd Season, But 'Will Take Some Time'

The Hōrindō Comic Plaza bookstore posted a photo of the fifth official guidebook for the Kemono Friends anime on Twitter on Monday. The photo confirms that the book's wraparound jacket band is announcing a "second season," but with text that reads, "It will take some time, so please wait!"

Can't wait! I just hope they don't screw it up by fixing all the flaws that made it so charming.