Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) Movie Uncut

Old 05-04-15, 05:50 PM

Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) Movie Uncut

Does anyone remember the old days at rental stores such as Blockbuster. I have read elsewhere that someone who used to rent Streamline Dubbed Hokuto no Ken Movie on Orion pre-release VHS rental copy remember gore scenes uncensored with no blurring or filter. I have also wanted to know if any collector has Streamline's 35mm Print of Fist of the North Star Movie uncut. Many fans believe that 35mm prints were destroyed in the fire and the Italian VHS version is the closest they'll ever see. Do you guys remember anything? Let me know.

HD version with frame-rates of Jagi's death scene is a little faster than the scene during the Orion anime previews. Search on Youtube for "Hokuto no Ken Movie: Jagi's Death Frame-rate differences" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-04-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) Movie Uncut

Originally Posted by Joehanime12 View Post
Does anyone remember the old days at rental stores such as Blockbuster. I have read elsewhere that someone who used to rent Streamline Dubbed Hokuto no Ken Movie on Orion pre-release VHS rental copy remember gore scenes uncensored with no blurring or filter. I have also wanted to know if any collector has Streamline's 35mm Print of Fist of the North Star Movie uncut. Many fans believe that 35mm prints were destroyed in the fire and the Italian VHS version is the closest they'll ever see. Do you guys remember anything? Let me know.

HD version with frame-rates of Jagi's death scene is a little faster than the scene during the Orion anime previews. Search on Youtube for "Hokuto no Ken Movie: Jagi's Death Frame-rate differences" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I have a VHS edition of Streamline's English-dubbed version of the movie and as far as I recall, without pulling it off the shelf to make sure, the gore scenes were uncut and unblurred.
Old 05-05-15, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I have a VHS edition of Streamline's English-dubbed version of the movie and as far as I recall, without pulling it off the shelf to make sure, the gore scenes were uncut and unblurred.
That's great to hear! But can I see those screenshots of uncut and unblurred scenes, just to be sure? Do you have a digital camera of some sort?
Old 05-05-15, 04:44 PM

Ash Ketchum, are you still there? Sorry to double-post.
Old 05-06-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's great to hear! But can I see those screenshots of uncut and unblurred scenes, just to be sure? Do you have a digital camera of some sort?
I'll check when I get around to it. Can't promise anything more than that.
Old 05-06-15, 04:13 PM

I'll check when I get around to it. Can't promise anything more than that.
Thanks! Most appreciate it!
Old 07-27-15, 11:55 AM

I do hope Fist of the North Star gets a uncensored Blu-ray release for its 35th anniversary.... Like Vampire Hunter D (1985) from Sentai Filmworks.
Old 07-27-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do hope Fist of the North Star gets a uncensored Blu-ray release for its 35th anniversary.... Like Vampire Hunter D (1985) from Sentai Filmworks.
35th anniversary? It was a 1986 movie, so that would be in 2021. You don't want something sooner?

P.S. I will get out my copy to answer your earlier question this week!
Old 07-27-15, 02:59 PM

35th anniversary? It was a 1986 movie, so that would be in 2021. You don't want something sooner?

P.S. I will get out my copy to answer your earlier question this week!

Awesome! Can't wait! Thanks so much!
Old 07-29-15, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I watched my Streamline/Orion VHS copy of the film again and took digital camera shots of freeze frames from the gore scenes as I watched.

Some gore shots seemed unaltered, like these (NSFW):
Spoiler:

Most, however, seemed to have been optically altered somewhat, like these (NSFW):
Spoiler:

I remember it being much gorier when I rented it about 20 years ago, but the copy I rented would have been the same as the one I later bought on VHS. Maybe it just seemed so much gorier at the time because it was the first anime gore I'd been exposed to and because I've seen so much gorier stuff since then. But I remember one shot where the guy with the needle finger nails slices through a bad guy and you see the slices of his flesh in pretty sharp detail, but I saw nothing quite like that in the tape I just watched. Who knows? Maybe I just embellished it in my memory.

Unless Streamline's first release was uncut and unedited and then they quickly replaced it with a milder version. But I would need some kind of confirmation of that from someone close to the process before I'd believe it.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-29-15 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-29-15, 07:08 AM

I see... The version you rented 20 years ago was uncut and the one you later bought was censored. Ouch... That was Toei's own doing! Toei never intended to release the uncut version with no blurring on home-video to anyone worldwide. Also the soccer moms and parents in Japan went too far with their demanding for censorship. That uncut version was meant for adults and hardcore anime fans. It's Toei's own fault for releasing the film in theaters to middle-schoolers. If Toei released the film for only adults the censorship for the film wouldn't have happened. I do hope for the 35th anniversary for Hokuto no Ken series, they release the uncut version,uncensored on blu-ray in Japan. Or maybe the uncensored film will get a remastering on U.S Blu-ray just like Sentai Filmworks did for 1985 Vampire Hunter D and Discotek for Bloodlust. We may have to wait a little longer.
Old 07-29-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I see... The version you rented 20 years ago was uncut and the one you later bought was censored. Ouch... That was Toei's own doing! Toei never intended to release the uncut version with no blurring on home-video to anyone worldwide. Also the soccer moms and parents in Japan went too far with their demanding for censorship. That uncut version was meant for adults and hardcore anime fans. It's Toei's own fault for releasing the film in theaters to middle-schoolers. If Toei released the film for only adults the censorship for the film wouldn't have happened. I do hope for the 35th anniversary for Hokuto no Ken series, they release the uncut version,uncensored on blu-ray in Japan. Or maybe the uncensored film will get a remastering on U.S Blu-ray just like Sentai Filmworks did for 1985 Vampire Hunter D and Discotek for Bloodlust. We may have to wait a little longer.
I didn't say that. I said I remembered it a certain way, but my memory may have been colored by the factors I outlined in my post. According to The Complete Anime Guide, by Trish Ledoux and Doug Ranney, the uncut version of FIST OF THE NORTH STAR was never released in the U.S. at all. And Trish was close to the process (she worked at Viz at the time, which published the manga in English), so she should know.
Old 07-29-15, 10:06 AM

I didn't say that. I said I remembered it a certain way, but my memory may have been colored by the factors I outlined in my post. According to The Complete Anime Guide, by Trish Ledoux and Doug Ranney, the uncut version of FIST OF THE NORTH STAR was never released in the U.S. at all. And Trish was close to the process (she worked at Viz at the time, which published the manga in English), so she should know.
Really? She works for Viz. Interesting. I need to know more of the truthful information about the existence of this so-called uncut version too.
Old 07-29-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really? She works for Viz. Interesting. I need to know more of the truthful information about the existence of this so-called uncut version too.
Well, she used to work for Viz. I don't know what she's doing now. You might want to contact Jerry Beck, who worked for Streamline at the time and is listed in the FIST credits and who has a cartoon blog with contact info for reaching him:
http://www.cartoonresearch.com/about.html

If anyone would know the answer to your question he would.

Also, I found your post to Crunchyroll:
Spoiler:
Hello everyone. This topic is about people and anime fans who had seen the uncut and un-blurred version in limited theater showings released by Streamline or on rare rental old-school VHS tapes. The uncut version of the film has yet to surface on the web for those who want to see it, un-blurred and uncensored! In Japan, March, 1986, Fist of the North Star Anime Movie, produced by Toei Animation, released first week in theaters uncut and un-blurred with scenes so brutal that the Japanese PTA got upset over it, they forced Toei to censor the harder gore scenes with color ghosting. The film was censored even more on video with analogue filter. All video released on DVD and VHS in Japan, France, Korea, and almost the rest of the world are censored. However, there are some countries like U.S and Italy that have some VHS releases uncut and uncensored. The hard-to-find rental VHS re-release copies in 1994 with different bar coding 1000311 in U.S have the original uncut and un-blurred version sourced from Streamline's original 35mm print, other VHS releases (older and other reprints with the bar code 90263) are censored with monochrome filter and color ghosting sourced from the red tint video master. The Italian VHS releases were semi-uncensored without video analogue filter, but still have color ghosting on some scenes. Recent releases on DVD in Japan, Italy, and U.S are still censored. So far, the Italian VHS versions on Youtube shown some uncensored scenes (such as Shin scarring Kenshiro's chest and headless thug's blood splattering Bart's face, including the scene where the big thug, named Galf, crushes the annoying chanter's head with his hand), the rest of even more harder gore scenes (such as the close-up footage of head explosions, Zeed's death, Heart's stomach exploding, and Rei slicing the enemies face) are blurred with color ghosting. The theatrical trailer shown the uncensored scene of Rei slicing one of the enemies' face. The uncensored version may not be seen today, but there may be hope someday, that someone will show all the uncensored footage in the future.

...and in it, you seem pretty sure that there was an uncensored video release in the U.S. Can you confirm that? Because I'd love to know that what I'm remembering is accurate.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-15, 01:32 PM

I hope that the 1986 anime movie, Fist of the North Star, gets a Blu-ray release with the transfer from the uncensored 35mm print. Also the film will be showing in Charles Theater in DCP (Digital Cinema Package), but I will find out from the theater or U.S office of Toei Animation Inc. if the film is the original uncensored version. So far all home-video releases on VHS and DVD world-wide had been censored, but a rare 1994 rental uncut VHS version in U.S with a barcode of 1000311 instead of usual 90263 barcode VHS version (that you bought, Ash Ketchum) exists, as some may have it in their collection.