Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost in the Shell (2015 movie)

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Ghost in the Shell (2015 movie)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Ghost in the Shell (2015 movie)

Originally Posted by printerati
Damn, it's like some of you haven't watched any of the recent ARISE OVAs. This film takes place during that timeline, when Section 9 is first formed.
I just picked up all four volumes of ARISE at my local Japanese video store. Surprisingly, they all had English subs. (something that I'm seeing more and more of at this store--very unusual but welcome development). Is any distributor going to pick them up for U.S. distribution?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I just picked up all four volumes of ARISE at my local Japanese video store. Surprisingly, they all had English subs. (something that I'm seeing more and more of at this store--very unusual but welcome development). Is any distributor going to pick them up for U.S. distribution?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure Funimation already distributes those, I know the first 3 volumes are on Netflix.
Old 06-12-15, 09:58 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Thanks.
Ghost in the Shell Arise (OVA) is licensed by FUNimation. They have release OVA 1 & 2 as BD/DVD combo (with English dub). OVA 3 & 4 have yet to be released domestically. FUNimation distributed the Japan Blu-ray LE imports (English subs only).

Ghost in the Shell: Arise – Alternative Architecture (TV series) is also licensed by FUNimation. Only streaming rights have been announced at this time. Streaming is only at FUNimation.com (subscriber only).
Old 07-26-15, 09:32 AM
WTK

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/...at-otakon-2015
Speed Racer, PSYCHO-PASS: The Movie, Ghost in the Shell: The Movie, Assassination Classroom 2, and More — Announced at Otakon 2015!
Posted by Lauren on 07/25/2015 at 4:20pm

Hold on tight, because we’ve got some MAJOR announcements just in from the FUNimation Industry Panel at Otakon 2015! First at the starting line:

Ghost in the Shell: The Movie
Fans of the GitS franchise get ready, FUNimation is bringing Ghost in the Shell: The Movie to theaters in Fall 2015!
Old 10-19-15, 11:27 PM
WTK

http://www.ghostintheshellnewmovie.com/

Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie

The franchise that ushered in the cyber-punk era is back on the big screen in 2015! Don't miss this limited theatrical event – in theaters November 10, 11 & 16.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E2QfzF6FrrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-20-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Not feeling the new voice cast. Mary McGlynn, Richard Epcar and Crispin Freeman were awesome, and Dave Wyner's performance as Project 2501 was one of the best performances ever. Just watching this trailer, i get the feeling they are trying too hard to one-up the original, which will never happen.
Old 10-20-15, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't even watched that trailer yet and I *still* agree.
Old 10-24-15, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, does this "New Movie" follow the Arise series in any fashion or is it another parallel release?
Old 10-24-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

According to MAL the movie is a sequel to Arise but prequel to the 1995 movie.
I don't know how accurate that is though because that'd mean Arise is essentially set in the past as well and I don't know if it really is yet as I'm waiting for the rest of Arise to be released in English dub before watching any of it.

I don't want to watch two of the film episodes and then have to wait years for the next 3 episodes.
Old 10-25-15, 10:40 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
So, does this "New Movie" follow the Arise series in any fashion or is it another parallel release?
It's the same universe as Ghost in the Shell: Arise.

Order should be GitS: Arise, GitS: Arise - Pyrophoric Cult, GitS: The New Movie.

I'm not sure if you can watch the movie by itself (haven't seen it; I have the JP BD release pre-ordered from Amazon).
Old 10-28-15, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
It's the same universe as Ghost in the Shell: Arise.

Order should be GitS: Arise, GitS: Arise - Pyrophoric Cult, GitS: The New Movie.

I'm not sure if you can watch the movie by itself (haven't seen it; I have the JP BD release pre-ordered from Amazon).
So need to see if Arise part 4 and Arise Cult are available in the US. Anyone notice if they are now on Netflix?
Old 10-28-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I don't know how accurate that is though because that'd mean Arise is essentially set in the past as well and I don't know if it really is yet as I'm waiting for the rest of Arise to be released in English dub before watching any of it.
What a strange comment. Of course ARISE is set in the past. It deals with the formation of Section 9, which is already in place during the events of the original films and Stand Alone Complex.
Old 10-28-15, 03:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

^ Speaking of which, is there a cohesive "chronological" and/or "release" order for all the GiTS movies/SAC/Arise/etc.? I'm not so concerned about any written material (manga), but just the stuff you can watch.

I've watched the original movie, all of SAC1 and most of SAC2.