Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost in the Shell (2015 movie)

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 12:12 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts

Movie opens early summer in Japan.

http://kokaku-a.jp/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CUEktyhOSxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-17-15, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ghost in the Shell (2015 movie)

I still can't believe Hollywood is gonna make GITS into a movie lol
Old 01-17-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

So is this a re-make of the one that I used to have on VHS in college in 1996?
Old 01-17-15, 08:48 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
As far as I know, it hasn't been specified. We will probably see more details leading up the summer (previews, trailers,...). Your re-make guess is as good as any at this time.
Old 01-19-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

In other Ghost in the Shell news, Origa (who sings the opening tracks for both Stand Alone Complex gigs) passed away on Saturday at the age of 44 after a battle with lung cancer.
Old 01-19-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
They have a lot of material to draw from in the form of the original comics, television programs, and movies. I hope they're more ambitious than doing a simple remake.
Old 01-20-15, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by printerati
In other Ghost in the Shell news, Origa (who sings the opening tracks for both Stand Alone Complex gigs) passed away on Saturday at the age of 44 after a battle with lung cancer.
I am very sad to hear this. I know YK must be devastated

RIP
Old 01-20-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
They have a lot of material to draw from in the form of the original comics, television programs, and movies. I hope they're more ambitious than doing a simple remake.
One of the rare cases where the movie/anime "adaptation" went completely away from the manga and is arguably much better as a result.

I like Masamune Shirow and all (when he's not just drawing to his fetish), but I defy you to make sense of some of his more out-there sci fi stuff.
Old 03-20-15, 12:58 AM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SyiwWRMoXXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uGykrKqGsHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-20-15, 06:06 AM

WOW what a trailer! My body is *NOT* ready!

Looks spectacular. i wonder who's playing Motoko this time?
Old 03-20-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by pachinko852
I still can't believe Hollywood is gonna make GITS into a movie lol
Eh, considering how many GitS movies, TV shows, an OAVs there are now, I figure one high budget Hollywood flick isn't so bad.

Originally Posted by OutRun2
WOW what a trailer! My body is *NOT* ready!

Looks spectacular. i wonder who's playing Motoko this time?
Maaya Sakamoto, same one that is always Motoko. Hell, she even did Motoko's younger voice in the original (when she was 14). And Hitomi from Escaflowne.
Old 03-21-15, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Eh, considering how many GitS movies, TV shows, an OAVs there are now, I figure one high budget Hollywood flick isn't so bad.

Maaya Sakamoto, same one that is always Motoko. Hell, she even did Motoko's younger voice in the original (when she was 14). And Hitomi from Escaflowne.

She's awesome. But I'm kinda partial to the VA that plays her in SAC.
Old 03-21-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Not feeling the redesign for the major.
Old 03-21-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
One of the rare cases where the movie/anime "adaptation" went completely away from the manga and is arguably much better as a result.

I like Masamune Shirow and all (when he's not just drawing to his fetish), but I defy you to make sense of some of his more out-there sci fi stuff.
I've read the end notes of the graphic novel, where Shirow gets extra technical. I can't make heads or tails of it.

Originally Posted by brayzie
Not feeling the redesign for the major.
This is a woman who can any body she wants, and who chose one with big boobs. She always looks like a grown woman. Why does the new face look like a china doll or a little girl?

Not impressed with Batou having BB eyes either.
Old 03-22-15, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

What are you talking about? Atsuko Tanaka played Motoko in the original movie, in the sequel, in the two TV series, and in 2.0.
Old 03-23-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
This is a woman who can any body she wants, and who chose one with big boobs. She always looks like a grown woman. Why does the new face look like a china doll or a little girl?
I assumed, maybe wrongly, that her body and face from the first film and in SAC was how she looked prior to becoming a cyborg. In Solid State Society she looked a little off, and it was revealed at the end that it was another body and they're all variants on a theme.

However, I just don't like this particular look for her. Maybe it's the animation style.

Not impressed with Batou having BB eyes either.
I tried to pay attention to them in the new trailer. They got smaller right?

It's cool their giving more GITS films for fans but I don't think I'm going to follow the new direction. I loved the first film. The 2nd film was well made and interesting but it wasn't my cup of tea. The SAC series was awesome. Took a little getting used to but I think I ended up liking it more than the film. Some of the Stand Alone episodes really stayed with me. I still have to catch up with 2nd Gig.
Old 03-23-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What are you talking about? Atsuko Tanaka played Motoko in the original movie, in the sequel, in the two TV series, and in 2.0.
Yup you're right. Maaya Sakamoto played the young version of her voice in the original movie and 2.0, and then took over for ARISE and this reboot.
Old 05-29-15, 09:13 PM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gCSQJoijLI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-30-15, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

No Tachikomas? Bullshit!
Old 05-31-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought that the way that the Major was portrayed, her character had no sexual interests? She seems younger than the version in the movie.
Old 06-01-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Damn, it's like some of you haven't watched any of the recent ARISE OVAs. This film takes place during that timeline, when Section 9 is first formed.
Old 06-02-15, 10:46 PM
Banned

I love em all, but Innocence is my absolute favorite. Masamune Shirow single-handedly re-defined the look of tech and mecha in his manga and his influence has not been topped to this day.

I'll watch anything based on his stuff at least once. I was really happy with the direction they took with the ARISE episodes.

What do you guys think of Scarlett Johansson as Kusanagi in the live action one?

edit- I don't think it's the bee's knees, but I will have to watch it. The power of the swordsmith compels me.

Last edited by Pitter Patton; 06-02-15 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 05:55 AM

I just finished watching both seasons of Stand Alone Complex for the first time. While the presentation and music was good, I have to say I came away a bit underwhelmed.

While there were parts of the Laughing Man arc of the first GITS:SAC that was one of the best plots I've ever seen in all of anime. I can't say the same about the second season.

It would be pointless to say that I began watching 2nd GIG with high expectations. I was expecting another incredible plot with fantastic action and either less filler or filler that was much, much better. I have to say that the filler was much, much better. But the real letdown was that the fantastic, fast-paced plot that made GITS:SAC a great anime was simply not there. In its place was a convoluted mess, filled with pointless episodes and altogether incredibly bland.

The issue with the plot was this: there wasn't one for most of the story. Most episodes served to only minimally enhance the plot, and even when they did they only introduced plot points that became exceptionally handy later on. I do have to say that the quality of the filler got better compared to the first season, but the sheer amount of filler is simply inexcusable.
When the plot finally did appear it was complicated without being particularly engaging or complex, plagued with pacing issues, and just generally mediocre. Not to mention that the ending was absolutely terrible. A tacked on ending that offers no closure that drives all of the emotional intensity that the writers managed to gather right into the ground.

Another problem is with the characters. For the most part, the characters are nothing special. They're well done, as expected, but it's hard to care too much about any particular character. The standout(s), though, are the Tachikomas, who are funny, lovable, and awesome. While I do want to say that far to much time was devoted to "Tachikomas doing cute things", I still have to say that they are the best characters in 2nd GIG.

Basically GitS SAC suffers from too much filler, too little plot. That's the key problem I have with the series. The entire show could have been shortened to 13 episodes without losing much of the plot or tension. The show drags itself from episode to episode desperately trying to keep you watching with mediocre teasers about where the plot's going. That being said, there are still some genuinely good filler episodes and when the plot finally does get moving it's still watchable. Combined with the Tachikomas contemplating the meaning of the universe, being lovable, and being awesome the experience is passable. At the very least, there are superpowered cyborgs shooting at each other.

Overall Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex lacks a few key things. It lacks a solid plot, it lacks ways to tell what is filler and what isn't, and it lacks philosophy, mystery, or action strong enough to carry a plotless, poorly paced series. And without anything like that, all it is is simply a mediocre anime that fails to accomplish everything that it needs too. In closing, I'd recommend 2nd GIG to someone who has nothing better to watch or to someone who is desperately looking for cyberpunk anime. It's also worth watching if you've seen the first season, if only to complete the Stand Alone Complex continuity.
Old 06-09-15, 09:48 PM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MIJ0AwmXGtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-11-15, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Overall Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex lacks a few key things. It lacks a solid plot, it lacks ways to tell what is filler and what isn't, and it lacks philosophy, mystery, or action strong enough to carry a plotless, poorly paced series. And without anything like that, all it is is simply a mediocre anime that fails to accomplish everything that it needs too. In closing, I'd recommend 2nd GIG to someone who has nothing better to watch or to someone who is desperately looking for cyberpunk anime. It's also worth watching if you've seen the first season, if only to complete the Stand Alone Complex continuity.
I've been wanting to watch 2nd Gig after enjoying SAC. I really enjoyed the Laughing Man storyline but the "stand alone" episodes were really good too and I felt that they made the GITS universe feel large and more real. It took me a bit to warm up to SAC Solid State Society. I felt that that was an underwhelming movie considering all the action and high points reached in the original film and the first season of the anime. After re-watching it I ended up really liking it. It's more like slowly enjoying a fine wine on a Sunday evening rather than taking tequila shots in crazy club.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.