Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Cowboy Bebop TV series on Blu-ray

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Cowboy Bebop TV series on Blu-ray

Old 01-07-15, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Re: Cowboy Bebop TV series on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I emailed Funimation on Monday about my damaged copy and have yet to get a response back.

Fuckers.
I just had to post and advise that Funimation came through. It took them awhile but I got package in yesterday of just the limited release case (since I advised them the discs were not damaged). Yay!
Old 01-10-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

As reported in the bargains thread, vanilla set is $35 at Amazon. Tempting.
Old 01-10-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

That is such a killer price. I was trying to get through more of my backlog before buying anything else, but that's almost too good to pass up.
Old 01-10-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was holding off, but I can't pass it up at that price. Just ordered it. Thanks for the heads up everyone!
Old 03-12-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

I just happened to check the going prices on the exclusive Funimation and holy cow! Some serious money being tossed out there for these. Even the Amazon exclusive is going for large amounts.
Old 03-12-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, and $35 now seems to be the standard price for the regular version.
Old 07-07-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally pulled the trigger on the standard version at $24 (Amazon DOTD).
Old 07-13-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So how'd they do this, redo the FX for HD? Was the show ever mastered on film, wouldn't it have been done in SD back in the square TV days?

Gah, so many different versions of the Blu!
Old 07-13-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So how'd they do this, redo the FX for HD? Was the show ever mastered on film, wouldn't it have been done in SD back in the square TV days?

Gah, so many different versions of the Blu!
film can be rescanned at higher resolutions and not be classified as upscaled.
Old 07-13-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know it can, I just didn't know if the final masters were done on film or not, since the show used digital effects, I assumed it was finished digitally at SD resolution.
Old 07-17-15, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anyone with the "vinyl" version be willing to scan the front and back covers high rez? I'd love to make a custom case design with the art from the vinyl packaging.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just thought I'd share this gem here

Old 08-10-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<3 Ein
Old 08-10-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Just thought I'd share this gem here

http://s2.postimg.org/5faeqee3t/IMG_1043_1.jpg
I'd give you a dollar for that. =) awesome.
Old 08-11-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is her Etsy store. I'm very happy how this commission turned out.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HelloItsQu...f=pr_shop_more
Old 12-07-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Finally pulled the trigger on the standard version at $24 (Amazon DOTD).
It's the DOTD again today. This time at $21.99.
Old 12-31-15, 03:12 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

Cowboy Bebop: Complete Collection BD/DVD Amazon Exclusive Edition back in-stock for the time being.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMOZ1SS

EDIT: sold out again!

Last edited by WTK; 01-01-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 07:48 PM
Cool New Member

Does this mean I get to hear Steven Blum's sexy voice in glorious Blu-Ray?! DO WANT! (although truth be told I only have a crush on TOM)
Old 07-24-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

CB-related: Terry Bozzio with Buddy Rich's big band performing "Tank!"

https://youtu.be/4jDNzwVrmIc?t=5m19s
Old 11-22-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

For some reason the Limited Edition Amazon Exclusive is back in stock

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series - Amazon Exclusive Edition (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 11-27-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

New German release.

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net.../508217357.jpg

http://shop.akibapass.de/bddvd/#!/Co...egory=20051440

I don't think this is region free.
Old 04-28-18, 02:14 AM
WTK

BANG! Introducing concepts for the #CowboyBebop 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition(s)! Full details to come on Tuesday, 5/1!
In honor of the 20th anniversary this year, on Tuesday, 5/1 Funimation will open a special reservation campaign for the Cowboy Bebop 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition(s). The Collector's Edition(s) will include the series plus the movie (together for the first time!), a 200-page artbook, with new translated materials, and most monumentally, the original Cowboy Bebop soundtrack on vinyl for the first time ever.

Why the "Collector's Edition(s)"? Well, we have actually created concepts for three Collector's Editions, all with very different configurations (and prices). We know that Bebop fans span a very wide spectrum of different tastes and collector types (and budges), so we want to make sure that we're producing the edition(s) that fans want. On 5/1, we'll be asking you to reserve the concept(s) you like best to help determine which sets could get made. More details will launch then on Funimation.com, but you can preview the sets now!

Old 04-28-18, 01:08 PM
WTK

^ https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieba.../#1c7981647d86

"To explain, there are three box sets planned. If any of the three options receives over a thousand pre-orders, then it will be produced."

Bebop Crew
- Two PVC figure bookends featuring the Bebop crew.
- The complete series plus Cowboy Bebop the Movie: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door on six Blu-ray discs in a digipak disc holder.
- On-disc special features including a newly recorded extra.
- Two-LP Vinyl record set of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.
- 200-Page hardcover art book featuring illustrations and newly-translated intensive liner notes by Dai Sato.
- Five lithographs.
- Suggested retail price: $500

The Boogie Woogie Box
- The complete series plus Cowboy Bebop the Movie: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door on six Blu-ray discs in a digipak disc holder.
- A unique display rigid box with metal clasps.
- Two-LP Vinyl record set of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.
- 200-Page hardcover art book featuring illustrations and newly-translated. intensive liner notes by Dai Sato.
- Five lithographs.
- Suggested retail price: $350

The Bounty Hunter’s Steel
- Limited Edition Rigid Collector’s Box
- The complete series plus Cowboy Bebop the Movie: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door on six Blu-ray discs in three steel collector cases.
- Two-LP Vinyl record set of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack
- 200-Page hardcover art book featuring illustrations and newly-translated intensive liner notes by Dai Sato.
- Five lithographs.
- Suggested retail price: $250

Pre-orders start from May 1 until May 31 via Funimation's Cowboy Bebop anniversary site. The general purchase period will tentatively begin on June 4 and last until July 13.
Old 05-01-18, 06:46 PM
WTK

https://www.funimation.com/bebop20th
WHAT IS IT, WHAT IS IT?
  • We're presenting three options varying in price and style to pick from. You make the choice to reserve a copy and if your favorite design reaches 1,000 reservations it'll be made!
  • Any set that reaches 1,000 reservations will be made. Depending on what fans choose, we could be making one, two, or all three sets! The best way to ensure you get the one you want is to reserve it now.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
  • During a one-month period from May 1st to May 31st, you will have the opportunity to pick one or more of these three sets to reserve. By reserving your copy, you agree to buy the product you've chosen if it reaches 1,000 reservations by the end of the one-month period.
  • Your card will not be charged at the time you reserve your copy.
  • Reserving your copy early has its perks-as an early supporter we want to thank you by including a certificate of authenticity that is individually stamped and numbered*. Not only that, you'll get yours before anyone else!
  • If the set you reserved does not hit 1,000 reservations, you will NOT be charged.
* Sets not numbered in order of purchase.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE RESERVATION PERIOD?
  • After May 31st, if the set or sets you reserved successfully hit 1,000 reservations, your card will be charged. Any successful set will officially go into production and you will receive it later this year!
  • Once the reservation period ends, a general purchase period will begin lasting from May 31st to July 13th. It will be open to all fans, including those who did not reserve previously-but only successful sets will be available to buy.
  • As thanks for anyone who participated in the reservation period (regardless of the set's success) any sets that you add on during this purchase period will include the individually stamped and numbered certificate of authenticity and will be shipped to you before anyone else.
  • While there is no limit to the number of sets that you can buy, there is a limit to when you can purchase them: either the reservation period or the general purchase period. At the end of the general purchase period, we will close off all orders, finalize the order quantity, and send it to production.
THE BEBOP CREW | $550 https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...tion-blr-00232
Bring home the entire crew in style with a set that's your jam! See all the details for this set:
  • Two PVC figure bookends featuring the Bebop crew
  • The complete series PLUS Cowboy Bebop the Movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door on six Blu-ray discs in a digipak disc holder
  • On-disc special features including a newly recorded extra-more details to come!
  • Two-LP Vinyl record set of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack
  • 200-Page hardcover art book featuring illustrations and newly-translated intensive liner notes by Dai Sato
  • Five lithographs
THE BOOGIE WOOGIE BOX | $350 https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...tion-bld-00702
Get a collection that'll jive with you in all the right ways. See what tune this sets bringing:
  • The complete series PLUS Cowboy Bebop the Movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door on six Blu-ray discs in a digipak disc holder
  • On-disc special features including a newly recorded extra-more details to come!
  • A unique display rigid box with metal clasps
  • 200-Page hardcover art book featuring illustrations and newly-translated intensive liner notes by Dai Sato
  • Five lithographs
THE BOUNTY HUNTER'S STEEL | $250 https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...tion-blr-00231
Bring home a bounty that's more than worth its weight! Get ready to see stars with this set:
  • Limited Edition Rigid Collector's Box
  • The complete series PLUS Cowboy Bebop the Movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door on six Blu-ray discs in three steel collector cases
  • Five lithographs
HAVE QUESTIONS?
Why 1,000 units?
In order to get the products manufactured, we have to meet a minimum order number.

If a set doesn't hit 1,000 reservations, will it really never be created?
Yes, as mentioned above, manufacturing requires a minimum quantity. So, if a set doesn't hit the goal, it doesn't get made.

What if none of the sets hit 1,000 reservations?
Then we're all gonna carry that weight-because none of the sets will be made.

Do I have to pay immediately?
No, your information will be gathered, but your card will not be charged until the set reaches its goal and is confirmed for production on May 31st.

Can I reserve more than one?
Yep, yep, yep! If you've got the woolong then you've got the means to reserve on multiple sets. You can even reserve multiple copies of each collector's edition if you so choose.

When will I receive my copy?
For any successful sets, products will ship in time for the holidays.

What if I just want to buy the soundtrack?
Per our agreement with the music company, Flying Dog, we can only sell this soundtrack vinyl bundled with the collector's edition. A vinyl only set will not be available.

What if I just want to buy the movie?
While we don't have all the details right now, we WILL be releasing the Cowboy Bebop movie as a standalone release in the future.

Is there a limit to the number of collector's editions that can be reserved or produced?
No. Keep in mind that there is a limited time to buy the collector's editions-either the reservation period or the general purchase period.

Why aren't you hosting this project on a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter?
The short answer? We're not looking for crowdfunding for this set. By providing these three sets, we want to give you the power to choose what you're getting. Unlike Kickstarter campaigns, we're not asking for funding and we're not answering a yes or no question-we're trying to figure out what kind of set you want. While we love and support (and back!) lots of projects for new anime releases or new dubs for North America, we feel this project requires a different platform.
NOTE: November 13, 2018 is the release date noted on all 3 pre-order listings
Old 05-08-18, 01:58 PM

550. 350. 250. Jesus. Talk about taking advantage of your fans. I'll be avoiding any Funimation releases down the road.

I already have all the Victor soundtrack releases. I've got two dvd box sets, and I have the first regular Funimation blu-ray release. I'm up to my neck in CB materials.

I was hoping Funimation would make a 20th anniversary post saying they got the rights to all the soundtracks and they would be releasing them over the next year on vinyl.

Or that maybe they licensed the first OST1 and would be putting that out on vinyl for fans.

What I didn't expect was these ugly, busy, over-designed excuses to gouge fans, and to top it all off, tempt those fans with a soundtrack on vinyl that you can *only* get through one of these ridiculously high priced box sets.

I've been eyeballing the Funimation page, and they've stated that they couldn't get a license to release the soundtrack individually and that this was the only way they could do it. If that's the case, then Funimation's ability to license things sucks. This is a blatant way to get people to pony up $550 for a bunch of garbage so they can try to get some vinyl. Or 350. Or 250. All of those prices are way way over the top.

And the designs really aggravate me. Look up all the excellent Japanese box set releases where they pay homage to classic 70's album covers, or Jazz covers, or something more minimalist and with the "feel" of Bebop. Instead they take all these image elements and just throw them all at the wall. It's gross. It's bad design, and they are totally missing one of the entire elements that makes the series so good: it's retro design. This stuff isn't Charlie Parker. It isn't Birdland. That is designers who just. don't. get. it.

Heck, take that "faux-vinyl" thing they made for the last special dvd/blu-ray edition and work from that.

Or what about:

I mean, gosh, look at that top left image - a homage to 60's vinyl:

And look at these labels - which are homages to actual record labels:

There is so much thought and design in that stuff because it perfectly fits what the series is.

This current stuff is just a bunch of throw-up design with no actual care.

Maybe it's just because for 20 years I've been a hardcore Bebop fan, but this just makes me feel completely disconnected to Funimation and that they just don't get the series.

And for crap's sake - get the license to release the vinyl soundtracks separately. If not, then point me to where in Japan I can go to buy them if they can't fulfill my desire to purchase them without feeling like I'm being jacked up the butt.

This shouldn't make me rage as much as it is - but they are screwing this up, and those price points are offensive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.